Re: [genphoto] Software photo storage

  • Penny Wessenauer
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 7, 2002
      My current project, and one I've spent many cumulative weeks on, the hours spread through the past
      year, is a family photo scanning project. I'm writing up little bits of information (who, when, where,
      any special occasion, plus appropriate notes) in a Word file, for every photo that I'm scanning. The
      Word file set up with minimal page margins, and with 3 columns, and printed with a 10 point Ariel font.
      The little information bits are labeled with album identification initials as well as photo numbers, so
      I can go back and find the original photo later.

      Then, the columns are cut apart and the little information bits cut apart. At that point, I scan the
      bits right below the individual photos. I'm scanning at 150 to 200%, in a high enough dpi to be able
      to print out later on a photo printer.

      I'm working with my husband's old photos, as many as I can borrow from his family; my father's old
      photos that I inherited on his death; my mother's family photos that she has with her, and the
      additional ones she borrowed from her family; as well as my husband and my own pre 1970 photos.

      One of the things I'm adding to the information bits is everyone's complete nanes, including maiden
      names, for any future genealogists in either of our families....

      These will all be burned to various cd's and mailed out to family, hopefully at
      Christmas....or early in 2003. I realize that cd's are not the ideal generational saving device, and so
      will include information advising family to save the files to their hard drives, and optionally, as
      finances provide, to print out the photos to have hard copies of their own. Should anyone want to
      print the photos minus my printed information, they will be able to crop that out prior to printing.

      I guess that's about it, but it is a major task, and one I feel pretty good about doing for everyone's
      benefit.

      mbfiggins wrote:

      > Does anyone know of an inexpensive program that will store a copy of
      > the picture and allow for information to be recorded about that photo?
      > For example if I have an old picture of my mother and grandmother I
      > would like to be able to record minimum - the date it was taken, where
      > it was taken, who is in the photo, what information is on the back.
      >
      > Mary Beth
    • Sue Rosoff
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 7, 2002
        I am using Portfolio by Extensis for cataloguing a photo project I'm working on... you can drag the images into the database and then put whatever your description is - and keywords if you want to be able to search... it's about $200 and is cross platform...
        http://www.extensis.com/portfolio/31g.html
        there's others though like iview that look good too

        Sue Rosoff
        Digital Image Processor
        Kwajalein Missile Range Photolab
        Marshallese Cultural Center

        mbfiggins <mbfiggins@...> wrote:Does anyone know of an inexpensive program that will store a copy of
        the picture and allow for information to be recorded about that photo?
        For example if I have an old picture of my mother and grandmother I
        would like to be able to record minimum - the date it was taken, where
        it was taken, who is in the photo, what information is on the back.

        Mary Beth

      • E.Rodier
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 7, 2002
          I use my genealogy program for highly detailed captions. A text file for a
          set of images with meaningful file names would be better than an album
          program. Everyone seems to recommend a different method and some image
          products that I tried as early as 1994 are long gone.
          Elizabeth

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 7, 2002
            Sortable genealogy scrapbooks saved as PDF files would be easier. 2x2 layout
            telling the life history of each individual or household allows enough extra
            space for readers to add comments. One family data file for each potential
            book, copy/export individuals includes all the pictures when files are
            split. Files with pictures can also be merged.

            One close relative has 10 scrapbooks with 500 pictures in order by date
            within each time period (topic.) Any of the pictures in scrapbooks can be
            used in mixed-layout pages in a family book.

            Pictures linked to a genealogy database are harder to move when a file is
            split. A full-featured image editing program allows text to be added over
            the picture or in a box added on below but that method is much harder for
            correcting details.

            Whatever method is used, test the pictures in sample projects, collect new
            information and then update the projects.
            Elizabeth, full time family pictures in use since March 1996

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 8, 2002
              This response may be over the heads of non-techy types, but I'm
              sure many of you will be able to follow it:

              I use HTML to save captions and display images ... like a web site
              on CD. An index page lists each photo in whatever order you think
              best (or multiple indexes, one by name, another by date, etc. if
              you are ambitious). Then I have a blank 'template' HTML file that
              automatically displays the image at 90% of screen width (for
              horizontally formatted) or 90% of screen height (for vertical images)
              and a title. You have to scroll down the page to read more than
              just the title, but there is room there to add as many comments as
              you like. Also I have it linked so a click on the image will display
              it full sized, in case someone wants to look at something close-up.
              Each image is numbered, with corresponding number for the HTML file,
              so 1.jpg would have a 1.htm to display it.

              All that can easily be done by hand coding, though I use a simple
              Visual Basic file to automate it. I also have the program generate
              a 'slideshow' version -- the slideshow html files are similar to
              regular, but have a META tag that causes the next image in the
              sequence to load after 10 seconds. I lable those s1.htm, etc. You
              could do that by copying all the #.htm files and pasting in the
              META code to each ... then change the file name (#) on each to one
              greater than the file it is in.

              Free, flexible and scalable, this solution won't become obsolete in
              3 to 5 years due to software changes (30 to 50 years is another
              matter!)

              Andrew J. Morris
              ePublication Marketing Associates
              We're All About eBooks!