Software photo storage

  • mbfiggins
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 7, 2002
      Does anyone know of an inexpensive program that will store a copy of
      the picture and allow for information to be recorded about that photo?
      For example if I have an old picture of my mother and grandmother I
      would like to be able to record minimum - the date it was taken, where
      it was taken, who is in the photo, what information is on the back.

      Mary Beth
    • Penny Wessenauer
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 7, 2002
        My current project, and one I've spent many cumulative weeks on, the hours spread through the past
        year, is a family photo scanning project. I'm writing up little bits of information (who, when, where,
        any special occasion, plus appropriate notes) in a Word file, for every photo that I'm scanning. The
        Word file set up with minimal page margins, and with 3 columns, and printed with a 10 point Ariel font.
        The little information bits are labeled with album identification initials as well as photo numbers, so
        I can go back and find the original photo later.

        Then, the columns are cut apart and the little information bits cut apart. At that point, I scan the
        bits right below the individual photos. I'm scanning at 150 to 200%, in a high enough dpi to be able
        to print out later on a photo printer.

        I'm working with my husband's old photos, as many as I can borrow from his family; my father's old
        photos that I inherited on his death; my mother's family photos that she has with her, and the
        additional ones she borrowed from her family; as well as my husband and my own pre 1970 photos.

        One of the things I'm adding to the information bits is everyone's complete nanes, including maiden
        names, for any future genealogists in either of our families....

        These will all be burned to various cd's and mailed out to family, hopefully at
        Christmas....or early in 2003. I realize that cd's are not the ideal generational saving device, and so
        will include information advising family to save the files to their hard drives, and optionally, as
        finances provide, to print out the photos to have hard copies of their own. Should anyone want to
        print the photos minus my printed information, they will be able to crop that out prior to printing.

        I guess that's about it, but it is a major task, and one I feel pretty good about doing for everyone's
        benefit.

        mbfiggins wrote:

        > Does anyone know of an inexpensive program that will store a copy of
        > the picture and allow for information to be recorded about that photo?
        > For example if I have an old picture of my mother and grandmother I
        > would like to be able to record minimum - the date it was taken, where
        > it was taken, who is in the photo, what information is on the back.
        >
        > Mary Beth
      • Sue Rosoff
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 7, 2002
          I am using Portfolio by Extensis for cataloguing a photo project I'm working on... you can drag the images into the database and then put whatever your description is - and keywords if you want to be able to search... it's about $200 and is cross platform...
          http://www.extensis.com/portfolio/31g.html
          there's others though like iview that look good too

          Sue Rosoff
          Digital Image Processor
          Kwajalein Missile Range Photolab
          Marshallese Cultural Center

          mbfiggins <mbfiggins@...> wrote:Does anyone know of an inexpensive program that will store a copy of
          the picture and allow for information to be recorded about that photo?
          For example if I have an old picture of my mother and grandmother I
          would like to be able to record minimum - the date it was taken, where
          it was taken, who is in the photo, what information is on the back.

          Mary Beth

        • E.Rodier
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 7, 2002
            I use my genealogy program for highly detailed captions. A text file for a
            set of images with meaningful file names would be better than an album
            program. Everyone seems to recommend a different method and some image
            products that I tried as early as 1994 are long gone.
            Elizabeth

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 7, 2002
              Sortable genealogy scrapbooks saved as PDF files would be easier. 2x2 layout
              telling the life history of each individual or household allows enough extra
              space for readers to add comments. One family data file for each potential
              book, copy/export individuals includes all the pictures when files are
              split. Files with pictures can also be merged.

              One close relative has 10 scrapbooks with 500 pictures in order by date
              within each time period (topic.) Any of the pictures in scrapbooks can be
              used in mixed-layout pages in a family book.

              Pictures linked to a genealogy database are harder to move when a file is
              split. A full-featured image editing program allows text to be added over
              the picture or in a box added on below but that method is much harder for
              correcting details.

              Whatever method is used, test the pictures in sample projects, collect new
              information and then update the projects.
              Elizabeth, full time family pictures in use since March 1996

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 8, 2002
                This response may be over the heads of non-techy types, but I'm
                sure many of you will be able to follow it:

                I use HTML to save captions and display images ... like a web site
                on CD. An index page lists each photo in whatever order you think
                best (or multiple indexes, one by name, another by date, etc. if
                you are ambitious). Then I have a blank 'template' HTML file that
                automatically displays the image at 90% of screen width (for
                horizontally formatted) or 90% of screen height (for vertical images)
                and a title. You have to scroll down the page to read more than
                just the title, but there is room there to add as many comments as
                you like. Also I have it linked so a click on the image will display
                it full sized, in case someone wants to look at something close-up.
                Each image is numbered, with corresponding number for the HTML file,
                so 1.jpg would have a 1.htm to display it.

                All that can easily be done by hand coding, though I use a simple
                Visual Basic file to automate it. I also have the program generate
                a 'slideshow' version -- the slideshow html files are similar to
                regular, but have a META tag that causes the next image in the
                sequence to load after 10 seconds. I lable those s1.htm, etc. You
                could do that by copying all the #.htm files and pasting in the
                META code to each ... then change the file name (#) on each to one
                greater than the file it is in.

                Free, flexible and scalable, this solution won't become obsolete in
                3 to 5 years due to software changes (30 to 50 years is another
                matter!)

                Andrew J. Morris
                ePublication Marketing Associates
                We're All About eBooks!