Re: [genphoto] Copy stand instructions

  • Carroll Hughes
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 18, 2002
      dbroper wrote:

      > I noticed someone mentioning using their digital camera on a copy stand.
      >
      > Can anyone tell me how to make a copy stand please?
      >
      > Val Roper in Bahrain

      If you can find an old enlarger, you can remove the enlarger head and
      add a camera mount to get a useable copy stand. You can also mount the
      subject on the wall and use a tripod mounted camera, this also works
      with the subject on a table or the floor with the camera pointed downward.

      The real problem that a real copy stand solves is the lighting, which
      must be even and come from 45 degrees on either side to prevent
      reflections. The print must be held flat for the same reason.
      --

      Carroll Hughes

      PHOTOGRAPHY and DIGITAL IMAGING, PHOTO RESTORATION
      email: mailto:hughescck@...
      Visit my website: http://www.cool.icestorm.com/chughesphoto/
    • dbroper
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 18, 2002
        Elizabeth

        Thanks for your helpful comments re digital camera v. scanner.

        Val Roper in Bahrain

        > Some pictures and sources are much easier to scan than photograph. I'm
        using
        > a new pocket-size digital camera that is okay for handheld images of text
        > when no scanner or photocopier is available. A digital camera requires a
        > large storage card to hold a useful number of high quality images.
        Sometimes
        > more practical to photograph or scan the most important parts of large
        > items................
      • dbroper
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 18, 2002
          Hi Carroll

          > If you can find an old enlarger, you can remove the enlarger head and
          > add a camera mount to get a useable copy stand. You can also mount the
          > subject on the wall and use a tripod mounted camera, this also works
          > with the subject on a table or the floor with the camera pointed downward.

          Good tips and not expensive.

          > The real problem that a real copy stand solves is the lighting, which
          > must be even and come from 45 degrees on either side to prevent
          > reflections. The print must be held flat for the same reason.

          I was wondering about lighting, you have answered that one for me, thank
          you.

          All the best
          Val Roper in Bahrain
        • Carroll Hughes
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 19, 2002
            For a lot of useful information about copying in color and black and
            white try to get a copy of Copying and Duplicating Photographs - Kodak
            Publication M-1. This is usually available in Libraries in the US or the
            current edition can be ordered. There's lots of useful information about
            filters, lighting, etc.