Re: [genphoto] List of photographers and dates

  • dbroper
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 13, 2002
      Andrew

      What country or area of operation does your list cover?

      Val Roper in Bahrain

    • dementi@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 14, 2002
        Good morning

        I am interested in having our photography studio included. We are Dementi
        Studio, 121 E. Grace Street, Richmond, VA 23219. We date to 1924, and have
        over 30,000 indexed surnames with portrait files (negatives) in house. Our
        telephone number 804 648-9003. Our web address: www.dementi.com (includes a
        searchable surname data base). Please let me know if you have any questions.

        It is good work that you are doing!

        Regards,

        wayne dementi
        :)
      • ajmorrisdotcom
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 14, 2002
          The list has citations from all over the world, but primarily U.S. --
          and includes only operations working 1839-1939 ... of course it is
          a tiny sampling from the hundreds of thousands of photographers that
          worked during that time period, but it is a start ...

          Andrew J. Morris
          http://www.ajmorris.com/roots/photo/photo.htm

          --- In genphoto@y..., "dbroper" <dbroper@b...> wrote:
          > Andrew
          >
          > What country or area of operation does your list cover?
          >
          > Val Roper in Bahrain
          >
          > > I have put a file of more than 1,000 photographers and their
          locations
          > > and dates of operation on my genealogy newsgroup ... this is the
          kind
          > > of info that is very helpful when dating old family photos. For a
          copy
        • Thomas B. Morris
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 17, 2002
            I am currently looking for a digital camera to (hopefully) replace my SLR.

            Would appreciate input on the pros and cons of the different choices.

            I currently take portrait, general outside and indoor pixs, as well as, use
            it on a copy stand to duplicate old pixs.

            Don't want to waste my $$ on a CHEAP camera that won't be able to give me
            quality pictures, but I can't afford the TOP END professional camera.

            What are my options?

            Any help would be greatly appreciated,

            Tom

            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 17, 2002
              At 12:32 PM 8/17/02, you wrote:

              >I am currently looking for a digital camera to (hopefully) replace my SLR.
              >
              >Would appreciate input on the pros and cons of the different choices.
              >
              >I currently take portrait, general outside and indoor pixs, as well as, use
              >it on a copy stand to duplicate old pixs.
              >
              >Don't want to waste my $$ on a CHEAP camera that won't be able to give me
              >quality pictures, but I can't afford the TOP END professional camera.
              >
              >What are my options?
              >
              >Any help would be greatly appreciated,
              >
              >Tom

              As you have found out in a hurry, there are just too many who will not even
              think of Digital. They just do not knnow, or do not want to know what
              Digital does for you. I do several types of photography, and there is some
              times I still use the film cameras, and at times use them for backup to
              Digital.

              When doing work for others, it is frequently for the Web. Not all is
              genealogy, but also for contractors web sites and others. Heck I even do
              art for a couple of people.

              That said, do not in any case get rid of the SLR, as you will need it at
              times. Write to the address above, if you want to discuss it further, and
              we will take it off the list, and let the others quite down.

              Shakey Jack