Converting Photos to LineArt

  • efinigan
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 31, 2002
      Is there an inexpensive photo editing software that will offer a menu
      option to 'convert' the image to a form of lineart? Nothing fancy.

      Ed Finigan
      Lynn, MA
    • JoanieFL@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 2 4:43 PM
        If you have a scanner, some scanner software will allow you to do that.
      • Audrey Staples
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 3 7:09 PM
          If I may ask, why do you want to do that? When I want to use a photo in my
          genealogy report or a doc file, greyscale works very well.

          Audrey

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 4 12:05 AM
            I use gray scale a lot, but make a copy of the photo I change to gray scale
            so I will always have my original color copy. This works well for me to print
            black & White photos for reports and letters. You may have to change the
            darkness to get a print. Play around a bit until you what you like.
            Harry
          • Bruce E. Kahn
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 4 7:45 AM
              At 04:53 PM 7/31/2002 +0000, Ed Finigan wrote:

              >Is there an inexpensive photo editing software that will offer a menu
              >option to 'convert' the image to a form of lineart? Nothing fancy.

              Since I haven't see much relevant response to this, I'll take a crack at it.

              First of all, I am curious why you want to do this, although I think that I
              know the answer. I suspect that you are trying to create a "key" to go
              along with a photograph, so that you can identify all of the people in the
              image. Am I correct?

              This is one of the genealogical applications that I discuss in my lecture
              "Digital Imaging and Genealogy: Principles, Possibilities, and Pitfalls".

              The good news is that there may be an easier way to accomplish what I think
              you are trying to do, without creating actual line art. A simpler way to
              label images is just to increase the brightness and reduce the
              contrast. Then you can type the names over the images in any image editing
              program, and print out the image. You will easily be able to distinguish
              the individuals, probably even easier than using "line art". The line
              drawing technique was used before the days of computers and image
              processing, and probably isn't the best way to do it, given the current
              technology.

              If you really want to convert an image to line art, you need to do what is
              known in the image processing world as "Edge Detection". I don't think
              that you can do this with every image processing program there is, but I
              haven't used all of them ... yet! Here is how you do it with two of the
              more common programs (and the two that I happen to have right now on my
              laptop).

              In Photoshop (v 5.5) this is done by Filter/Stylize/Find Edges.

              In Paint Shop Pro (v 7.0) select Effects/Edge/Find All.

              Photoshop is definitely not what I would consider inexpensive (> $500), but
              Paint Shop Pro is quite reasonable (< $100).

              Almost certainly, you will have to clean up the image after you do this,
              and probably then reduce the number of colors, and if you like, change the
              format.

              Using the brightness/contrast method that I discussed earlier, is much easier!

              If anyone else has a better way of doing this, I would like to hear it.

              Bruce E. Kahn, Ph.D.
              Imaging and Photographic Technology
              Rochester Institute of Technology
              70 Lomb Memorial Dr.
              Rochester, NY 14623-5604
              bkahn@...
              http://www.rit.edu/~bekpph/
            • JackH12345@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 7 12:51 PM
                genphoto@yahoogroups.com writes:

                << If anyone else has a better way of doing this, I would like to hear it.>>

                Instead of making a "key" to identify people in a photograph i just use
                Photoshop to add captions right in the original. Of course I always save the
                orignal as is.

                See: http://home.san.rr.com/hotz/hotzpage.html (near the bottom of page)

                Jack Hotz
                San Diego