Re: [genphoto] Photo editing software

  • E.Rodier
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 26, 2002
      http://www.jasc.com has the full version of Paint Shop Pro 7.04 and also a
      newer program called AfterShot. I've used PSP for over 15,000 family
      pictures and uncounted images for other purposes since March 1996. It comes
      with a large manual that is rarely opened.

      AfterShot is about half the price and half the file size. I usually work
      with PSP because it is fast and familiar but AfterShot has some different
      features. No experience with Windows 2000 but did try Photoshop Elements for
      half an hour before finding how to set the quality of a JPG.

      Also using XP Pro recently to resize pictures. A family book of about 153
      pages has 65 images of sources, photos and maps on 28 pages, additional
      small pictures in 8 group reports. The total file size with INSERTED images
      is under 15 mb. Backup method is copy/paste of one file to CD-RW. Captions
      for the pictures and details in the book reports/charts change as the
      database is updated.
      Elizabeth

      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 26, 2002
        Hi Sherry

        A program I can highly recommend is PaintShop Pro (Version 7). In the
        UK it costs £45. If you go here: http://www.jasc.com/download_4.asp?
        you can download a free 30 day trial of the program, and have a play
        with it before you decide whether to make a purchase.

        I use it myself for photo-editing - if you would like to see some
        samples of what I've done, let me know, follow the URL for my website.
        (Rootsweb is down at the moment, and I can't remember the full URL to
        the photographs, but if you go to the home page, and follow the links to
        'Dating old photographs', you should find it, when Rootsweb is up
        again.)

        I have used various versions of it over the last four years, and find it
        far easier to use than PhotoShop, which I also have. I do a lot of
        digital photography, and find the Red-Eye Removal is excellent. It also
        deals with layers, if ever you do need them. There is also a good site
        here: http://www.pspug.org/ with lots of tutorials for PSP Users.

        I am also the webmaster and photographer for the local branch of The
        Cats Protection Charity, and the photographs on there have all been
        edited using PSP www.cp-nottingham.org

        Anyway - I hope you manage to find something that suits you. Good luck.

        Stella - Nottingham
        http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~genpics/

        ---
      • Stella
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 26, 2002
          Sherry

          I forgot to add in my previous email that PaintShop Pro works equally
          well under both Windows 2000 Pro and XP Pro (Home)

          Regards
          Stella

          ---
        • Sherry
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 26, 2002
            Looking at the website, it mentions "The easy way to organize, fix, and
            share photos from your digital camera". I don't have a digital camera
            (should have mentioned that, I guess....). I acquire my photos through
            either web downloads or scanning. Will AfterShot work with it for that
            also? I don't plan on doing a lot of printing of photos at this time.

            I've tried to acquire photos through other programs than my scanner
            software and it usually ends up crashing, so I just scan with that
            program (VistaScan)

            S.

            <snip>
          • Susan B. Farmer
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 26, 2002
              I use Corel Photo House (came with Corel WordPerfect Suite 8) for most
              of the really simple stuff (resizing, changing format, etc. It will
              also sharpen and do some other things). For anything really complex --
              trying to restore a faded photo, I use Paint Shop Pro.

              susan
            • E.Rodier
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 26, 2002
                AfterShot doesn't question the source of the image. AfterShot has "quick
                fix" that improves most images with one button. One limitation is that it
                doesn't allow an oval cropping (called ellipse in PSP.) Every face picture
                that I've saved for use in box charts has been an oval. I don't see an
                option in AfterShot for batch convert to change file format or size.

                Why oval heads instead of rectangles?
                Reduces background distraction often found in group pictures
                Variations in height & width are less distracting
                Some close relatives had oval studio portraits
                Oval image might be 10% smaller file

                Some genealogy programs have black lines for picture areas and reports don't
                look as good with oval pictures. For those, I would probably keep a separate
                set, one rectangle per person for use in descendant reports. I want each
                branch of the family to have images in a separate Windows folder for easy
                backup and sharing. Check in advance if the genealogy program expects all
                the pictures the same width or all the same height, especially if the goal
                is to include 6 inch wide source documents in the same report with 1 or 2
                inch portraits.

                Restoring the multimedia zip files with pictures from multiple folders
                resulted in mixed up pictures when two files were copied to different
                computers. CD-R copy of a whole set of pictures can be planned for a move to
                another computer but plan for the possibility that a different computer
                might have different partition letters. One "successful" move was from
                multiple folders to a single picture folder.

                Sets of images for family history projects need to be the smallest file with
                acceptable quality. Archival size images need to be printed one page at a
                time and organized separately.
                Elizabeth

                > Looking at the website, it mentions "The easy way to organize, fix, and
                > share photos from your digital camera". I don't have a digital camera
                > (should have mentioned that, I guess....). I acquire my photos through
                > either web downloads or scanning. Will AfterShot work with it for that
                > also? I don't plan on doing a lot of printing of photos at this time.
              • Stephen Oddy
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 26, 2002
                  Hi Sherry

                  Try ACDSee:< http://www.acdsee.com >. And it sells in Australia for A$85.
                  ACDSee comes with a great photo viewing program and a simple photo editing program.
                  A friend who has this is very happy with it.

                  And or JASC Paint shop Pro.
                  JASC Paint shop Pro will do most of the photo editing as well as Adobe Photo Shop.
                  In Australia JASC Paint Shop Pro sells A$220 and Adobe Photo Shop sells for A$1500

                  Stephen
                  Hillarys
                  Western Australia