Photo editing software

  • Sherry
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 26 12:30 PM
      I'm sure this has been covered before and I thought I had saved messages
      about photo editing software for future reference, but I'll be danged if
      I can find any of it!

      I used to have Adobe PhotoDeluxe Home until I installed Windows 2000 on
      my computer. The version of PhotoDeluxe doesn't run under Win2K and I
      needed to upgrade. So thinking maybe this is the time to find something
      else, I tried MS PictureIt! which I wasn't really thrilled with at all.

      Unless I can find something better than the PhotoDeluxe Home that meets
      the following criteria, I guess I'll buckle down and buy it again:

      1. Reasonable Price (that leaves out Adobe PhotoShop!)
      2. Simple to use - no major learning curve (again, that leaves out
      Adobe PhotoShop!)
      3. Based on #2, one that an get me started easily but if I ever have
      more time, something that I can "grow-up" into.
      4. Does good basic photo editing to crop & remove scratches, dust,
      red-eye. Having a lot of fancy stuff and "layers" isn't important to
      me.

      I've also tried Adobe PhotoShop LE and it was way more complex than I
      wanted to deal with.

      Any and all suggestions welcome!
      Sherry
    • E.Rodier
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 26 12:49 PM
        http://www.jasc.com has the full version of Paint Shop Pro 7.04 and also a
        newer program called AfterShot. I've used PSP for over 15,000 family
        pictures and uncounted images for other purposes since March 1996. It comes
        with a large manual that is rarely opened.

        AfterShot is about half the price and half the file size. I usually work
        with PSP because it is fast and familiar but AfterShot has some different
        features. No experience with Windows 2000 but did try Photoshop Elements for
        half an hour before finding how to set the quality of a JPG.

        Also using XP Pro recently to resize pictures. A family book of about 153
        pages has 65 images of sources, photos and maps on 28 pages, additional
        small pictures in 8 group reports. The total file size with INSERTED images
        is under 15 mb. Backup method is copy/paste of one file to CD-RW. Captions
        for the pictures and details in the book reports/charts change as the
        database is updated.
        Elizabeth

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 26 1:25 PM
          Hi Sherry

          A program I can highly recommend is PaintShop Pro (Version 7). In the
          UK it costs £45. If you go here: http://www.jasc.com/download_4.asp?
          you can download a free 30 day trial of the program, and have a play
          with it before you decide whether to make a purchase.

          I use it myself for photo-editing - if you would like to see some
          samples of what I've done, let me know, follow the URL for my website.
          (Rootsweb is down at the moment, and I can't remember the full URL to
          the photographs, but if you go to the home page, and follow the links to
          'Dating old photographs', you should find it, when Rootsweb is up
          again.)

          I have used various versions of it over the last four years, and find it
          far easier to use than PhotoShop, which I also have. I do a lot of
          digital photography, and find the Red-Eye Removal is excellent. It also
          deals with layers, if ever you do need them. There is also a good site
          here: http://www.pspug.org/ with lots of tutorials for PSP Users.

          I am also the webmaster and photographer for the local branch of The
          Cats Protection Charity, and the photographs on there have all been
          edited using PSP www.cp-nottingham.org

          Anyway - I hope you manage to find something that suits you. Good luck.

          Stella - Nottingham
          http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~genpics/

          ---
        • Stella
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 26 1:26 PM
            Sherry

            I forgot to add in my previous email that PaintShop Pro works equally
            well under both Windows 2000 Pro and XP Pro (Home)

            Regards
            Stella

            ---
          • Sherry
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 26 2:12 PM
              Looking at the website, it mentions "The easy way to organize, fix, and
              share photos from your digital camera". I don't have a digital camera
              (should have mentioned that, I guess....). I acquire my photos through
              either web downloads or scanning. Will AfterShot work with it for that
              also? I don't plan on doing a lot of printing of photos at this time.

              I've tried to acquire photos through other programs than my scanner
              software and it usually ends up crashing, so I just scan with that
              program (VistaScan)

              S.

              <snip>
            • Susan B. Farmer
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 26 2:30 PM
                I use Corel Photo House (came with Corel WordPerfect Suite 8) for most
                of the really simple stuff (resizing, changing format, etc. It will
                also sharpen and do some other things). For anything really complex --
                trying to restore a faded photo, I use Paint Shop Pro.

                susan
              • E.Rodier
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 26 5:35 PM
                  AfterShot doesn't question the source of the image. AfterShot has "quick
                  fix" that improves most images with one button. One limitation is that it
                  doesn't allow an oval cropping (called ellipse in PSP.) Every face picture
                  that I've saved for use in box charts has been an oval. I don't see an
                  option in AfterShot for batch convert to change file format or size.

                  Why oval heads instead of rectangles?
                  Reduces background distraction often found in group pictures
                  Variations in height & width are less distracting
                  Some close relatives had oval studio portraits
                  Oval image might be 10% smaller file

                  Some genealogy programs have black lines for picture areas and reports don't
                  look as good with oval pictures. For those, I would probably keep a separate
                  set, one rectangle per person for use in descendant reports. I want each
                  branch of the family to have images in a separate Windows folder for easy
                  backup and sharing. Check in advance if the genealogy program expects all
                  the pictures the same width or all the same height, especially if the goal
                  is to include 6 inch wide source documents in the same report with 1 or 2
                  inch portraits.

                  Restoring the multimedia zip files with pictures from multiple folders
                  resulted in mixed up pictures when two files were copied to different
                  computers. CD-R copy of a whole set of pictures can be planned for a move to
                  another computer but plan for the possibility that a different computer
                  might have different partition letters. One "successful" move was from
                  multiple folders to a single picture folder.

                  Sets of images for family history projects need to be the smallest file with
                  acceptable quality. Archival size images need to be printed one page at a
                  time and organized separately.
                  Elizabeth

                  > Looking at the website, it mentions "The easy way to organize, fix, and
                  > share photos from your digital camera". I don't have a digital camera
                  > (should have mentioned that, I guess....). I acquire my photos through
                  > either web downloads or scanning. Will AfterShot work with it for that
                  > also? I don't plan on doing a lot of printing of photos at this time.
                • Stephen Oddy
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 26 8:49 PM
                    Hi Sherry

                    Try ACDSee:< http://www.acdsee.com >. And it sells in Australia for A$85.
                    ACDSee comes with a great photo viewing program and a simple photo editing program.
                    A friend who has this is very happy with it.

                    And or JASC Paint shop Pro.
                    JASC Paint shop Pro will do most of the photo editing as well as Adobe Photo Shop.
                    In Australia JASC Paint Shop Pro sells A$220 and Adobe Photo Shop sells for A$1500

                    Stephen
                    Hillarys
                    Western Australia