Re: [genphoto] Montage

  • Jeffrey Owens
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 10, 2002
      JackH12345@... wrote:

      > I used Powerpoint to make a montage of a few old family pictures for a
      > website. The image quality looks good there. But when it is saved it as a
      > TIF file the quality has deteriorates badly. I tried to saved it as a BMP
      > but it was no better. I had planned to use Photoshop to crop it and save as
      > a JPEG for the website.
      >
      > How can I improve the quality? Is there a better way to make a montage?

      I suspect your efforts might have had some degradation due to resolution
      problems. Try this web site for explanation:
      <http://www.scantips.com/>

      My first question was what format did power point save to initially and
      what was resolution selected. Viewing on a monitor produces good
      results at about 72-150 dpi. This looks poor for printing.

      As stated by Merv, " The old rule about every copying step leading to
      some degradation obviously applies."

      In addition to resolution there are quality problems when the format
      used to save a file uses one alogrithm for compression and then another
      is used to open and view the file later, e.g. powerpoint native format
      and then later .tif or .bmp.

      Hope the site above will have some help for you.
      Jeff Owens
    • JackH12345@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 11, 2002
        Jeff wrote:

        JackH12345@... wrote:

        > I used Powerpoint to make a montage of a few old family pictures for a
        > website. The image quality looks good there. But when it is saved it as a
        > TIF file the quality has deteriorates badly. I tried to saved it as a BMP
        > but it was no better. I had planned to use Photoshop to crop it and save
        as
        > a JPEG for the website.
        >
        > How can I improve the quality? Is there a better way to make a montage?

        I suspect your efforts might have had some degradation due to resolution
        problems. Try this web site for explanation:
        <http://www.scantips.com/>

        My first question was what format did power point save to initially and
        what was resolution selected. Viewing on a monitor produces good
        results at about 72-150 dpi. This looks poor for printing.

        From PowerPoint the montage was saved as TIF (there was no resolution
        selected but the TIF image is came out as 96 pixels per inch). Then it was
        cropped
        and saved as JPG for use in the web page. I was comparing the monitor image
        quality of the PowerPoint image vs. the TIF image(or the JPEG image).

        Is there a better way?

        Jack Hotz
        San Diego
      • Jeffrey Owens
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 12, 2002
          JackH12345@... wrote:

          > My first question was what format did power point save to initially and
          > what was resolution selected. Viewing on a monitor produces good
          > results at about 72-150 dpi. This looks poor for printing.
          >
          >>From PowerPoint the montage was saved as TIF (there was no resolution
          > selected but the TIF image is came out as 96 pixels per inch). Then
          it was
          > cropped
          > and saved as JPG for use in the web page. I was comparing the
          monitor image
          > quality of the PowerPoint image vs. the TIF image(or the JPEG image).
          >
          > Is there a better way?

          I'm still not exactly sure of your sequence of image manipulation and
          viewing. I have never used Power Point so I can only offer general
          comments. If you are saving an image at a particular resolution then the
          size of the saved image is a consideration.

          Example: you view an image on your monitor which looks good and save it
          as a 4x6 image. Then when you view it again you view it on a 17" monitor
          full screen. The number of pixels does NOT increase, and you have
          therefore reduced the density. It is a direct proportion calculation
          which is explained on scantips.com.

          Secondly, saving in Jpeg should only be for web or slide show
          presentation and not further manipulation. The compression scheme cause
          losses in the bits of the image file which upon later format or size
          changing will cause distortions, e.g. fuzziness, pixel color changes
          which cause a sort of speckling, etc. Be sure your size and density of
          the saved .tif file are correct before converting to .jpg. It might
          sometimes be desirable to run your slide show in Jpeg because the files
          may load faster.

          In composing a slide show you need to insure that the saved file is
          going to match the presentation options you select. Avoid trying to
          present images saved at small sizes and low densities in an enlarged
          view. Again, the pointers on the scantips site need full digestion.
          You can also find some pointers and links to tips on the various
          manufacturers sites, i.e. Epson, HP, etc. or by web searching on a
          subject title such as 'graphic file resolution', 'compression
          techniques' and so on.

          Jeff Owens