Powerpoint to TIF

  • Merv Leeding
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 8, 2002
      G'day Jack

      >I used Powerpoint to make a montage of a few old family pictures for a
      >website. The image quality looks good there. But when it is saved it as a
      >TIF file the quality has deteriorates badly.

      Did you mean after printing the TIF? Powerpoint is optimized for the screen
      and I suspect that when it is saved as TIF it is duplicating the screen
      resolution of the Powerpoint rather than the original file you imported.

      > I tried to saved it as a BMP but it was no better.

      That is to be expected since they are alternative formats which reproduce
      exactly whatever the exporting program gives them.

      >I had planned to use Photoshop to crop it and save as a JPEG for the website.
      >How can I improve the quality?

      Not being familiar with how Powerpoint exports I can't comment on that. I
      do know that screen dumps into Powerpoint can be a problem if the PP
      presentation is prepared at one resolution (the working PC) and displayed
      at another (PC projector).

      >Is there a better way to make a montage?

      I can understand that Powerpoint can be fast but I would have done the
      montage where the flexibility of say Photoshop would easily beat
      Powerpoint. Plus you eliminate the processing steps involved in going into
      Powerpoint. The old rule about every copying step leading to some
      degradation obviously applies.

      Regards, Merv