Textbridge

  • LRiffey007@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 9, 2002
      Tell me a little more about Textbridge. I have a large project to scan
      including documents like birth, death, SS applications, wills and marriage
      records. I am not familiar with the Textbridge software, will it work for the
      above mentioned documents. Also, is there any problem once they are scanned
      to then transfer to a CD from this software?

      Larry Riffey

    • linsley@best.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 9, 2002
        LRiffey007@... wrote:
        > Tell me a little more about Textbridge. I have a large project to scan
        > including documents like birth, death, SS applications, wills and marriage
        > records. I am not familiar with the Textbridge software, will it work for the
        > above mentioned documents. Also, is there any problem once they are scanned
        > to then transfer to a CD from this software?

        Textbridge, like any optical character recognition (OCR) software,
        will only work for printed or typed documents. It will not recognize
        hand-written documents. (It *might* produce useful output from
        exceptionally clear block lettered documents, but I would not count
        on it.)

        OCR software analyzes the scanned image looking for shapes that
        resemble letters. It creates text output of letters that correspond
        (it thinks) to the shapes in the image. For each shape, it tries to
        match to shape to a letter. Sometimes it picks the right letter,
        sometimes it doesn't. If it cannot find a match, it may put a place-
        holder character, and flag it as an error, or it may decide it is
        not part of the text, and ignore it.

        After the conversion, it is necessary to proofread and correct the
        text. Typically, you can do this in the OCR program, and it will
        highlight the places it was not confident of the conversion. However,
        there may be places that it thought it got it right, but it did not,
        so proofread the whole thing. You can also proofread and correct in
        the text editor or word processor of your choice after saving the
        file, but you lose the automatic highlighting of places that are
        already known to be wrong.

        The quality of the scan and the original will make a world of
        difference in the quality of the OCR output. If the original is
        faded or smudged, it may take as long to correct the mistakes in
        the OCR output as it would to transcribe it from scratch. The best
        results are obtained from crisp, clean, printed originals. Typed
        originals will probably yield somewhat lower quality (more mistakes).

        Good OCR software allows you to train it to recognize the font used
        in a particular document (this shape = this letter). This feature
        may be lacking on "lite" versions that may be bundled with a scanner.

        I have had better luck training the software to read documents that
        are on the dark side, rather than faded and light. It is possible to
        tell it that a particular shape of blob is two letters run together,
        but I have not been able to find a way to tell it that two or three
        blobs together make up a single letter.

        The OCR process yields an ordinary text file. (Some OCR software
        can work as a plug-in for word processors like MS Word, so you
        can get a Word file, too.) This can be copied, emailed or written
        to a CD just like any other file.

        Chuck Linsley
        linsley@...
      • DVGagel@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 9, 2002
          Textbridge works best with standard typed documents--books, newspapers, etc.
          What the software does is "read" a scanned printed document and translates
          into a word document on your computer, which you can then edit, if necessary,
          or just save as is. Once you have it on a disk, hard or floppy, you can then
          transfer to a CD--burn it on a CD. If the original document is faint or
          light, then it often has difficulty reading it.
          Handwritten documents, etc. should probably be scanned as an image file.
          These too can then be burned onto a CD as an image file.
          Diane
        • John Sullivan
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 10, 2002
            In message <50.4b0afa4.296e3c2e@...>, DVGagel@... writes
            >Textbridge works best with standard typed documents--books, newspapers, etc.
            >What the software does is "read" a scanned printed document and translates
            >into a word document on your computer, which you can then edit, if necessary,
            >or just save as is. Once you have it on a disk, hard or floppy, you can then
            >transfer to a CD--burn it on a CD. If the original document is faint or
            >light, then it often has difficulty reading it.
            >Handwritten documents, etc. should probably be scanned as an image file.
            >These too can then be burned onto a CD as an image file.

            Does anyone know where one can obtain a manual for Textbridge please? It
            came with my scanner, packaged with Micrografix. The latter I can
            manage, but Textbridge is proving impossible to understand, even for the
            most straightforward task!
            --
            John Sullivan
          • Jeffrey Owens
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 10, 2002
              John Sullivan wrote:

              > In message <50.4b0afa4.296e3c2e@...>, DVGagel@... writes

              <http://www.scansoft.com/products/tbpmill/>

              This is the mfgr site. There are some faq's there.

              I checked Barnes and Noble at www.bn.com, there are no listings for
              "textbridge" books.

              Frankly, ocr software doesn't have a lot of options. If you are not
              getting satisfactory results, I suggest a call or email to factory
              support.

              Jeff Owens

            • DVGagel@aol.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 10, 2002
                My Textbridge, which is about a year old, has a User's guide listed on
                windows menu. Have you looked there?
                Diane
              • John Sullivan
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 10, 2002
                  In message <3C3DA84D.3010908@...>, Jeffrey Owens <owensj@...>
                  writes
                  >John Sullivan wrote:
                  >
                  >> In message <50.4b0afa4.296e3c2e@...>, DVGagel@... writes
                  >>
                  ><http://www.scansoft.com/products/tbpmill/>
                  >

                  >This is the mfgr site. There are some faq's there.
                  >
                  >I checked Barnes and Noble at www.bn.com, there are no listings for
                  >"textbridge" books.
                  >
                  >Frankly, ocr software doesn't have a lot of options. If you are not
                  >getting satisfactory results, I suggest a call or email to factory
                  >support.

                  Thanks Jeff.
                  --
                  John Sullivan
                • John Sullivan
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 11, 2002
                    In message <ad.165cc353.296f5dd2@...>, DVGagel@... writes
                    >My Textbridge, which is about a year old, has a User's guide listed on
                    >windows menu. Have you looked there?

                    Not sure where to look Diane. Could you elaborate please?
                    --
                    John Sullivan
                  • DVGagel@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 11, 2002
                      On your keyboard, when you hit the windows icon, the menu pops up. Look for
                      Programs. Put your cursor on it or use up and down arrows to highlight it.
                      When that menu comes up with all the programs on your computer, find
                      Textbridge. When your arrow or cursor lands on Textbridge, another menu
                      should come off that. One of the items listed on the last menu should be a
                      user's guide.
                      Diane
                    • John Sullivan
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 17, 2002
                        In message <140.7b73dbc.2970e075@...>, DVGagel@... writes
                        >On your keyboard, when you hit the windows icon, the menu pops up. Look for
                        >Programs. Put your cursor on it or use up and down arrows to highlight it.
                        >When that menu comes up with all the programs on your computer, find
                        >Textbridge. When your arrow or cursor lands on Textbridge, another menu
                        >should come off that. One of the items listed on the last menu should be a
                        >user's guide.

                        Thanks for that Diane. However, I can find nothing for Textbridge, only
                        Micrografix, which was loaded from the same CD. Do you know the name of
                        the .exe file in Textbridge, then I'll do a find?
                        --
                        John Sullivan
                      • DVGagel@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 17, 2002
                          In a message dated 1/17/02 8:04:23 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                          jvs@... writes:

                          << Do you know the name of
                          the .exe file in Textbridge, then I'll do a find? >>
                          The only thing I could find was setup.exe
                          Diane
                        • Jeffrey Owens
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 17, 2002
                            DVGagel@... wrote:

                            > In a message dated 1/17/02 8:04:23 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                            jvs@...
                            > writes:
                            >
                            > << Do you know the name of the .exe file in Textbridge, then I'll do
                            > a find? >> The only thing I could find was setup.exe Diane

                            You do not want a file with a .EXE extension. This is an executable
                            program file which would start something running or possiblly give you
                            an error message. Look for a readme or help file. They will have a .txt
                            or maybe some other extension. Instead of using 'find' try using the
                            explorer and going from 'my computer' to 'program files' to
                            'textbridge'. This will show most everything that was loaded for that
                            program.

                            Jeff Owens
                          • John Sullivan
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jan 18, 2002
                              In message <86.151ae60a.297861e1@...>, DVGagel@... writes
                              >In a message dated 1/17/02 8:04:23 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                              >jvs@... writes:
                              >
                              ><< Do you know the name of
                              > the .exe file in Textbridge, then I'll do a find? >>
                              >The only thing I could find was setup.exe

                              OK Diane. Thanks again.
                              --
                              John Sullivan