Re: [genphoto] Trying to figure out a GOOD system to name photo or documents

  • E.Rodier
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 30, 2001
      Because Acrobat costs $400 in Canada and doesn't do family trees or sort
      scrapbooks by date like Family Tree Maker.
      Elizabeth

      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 10, 2001
        At 12:01 PM 10/29/01, you wrote:
        >Hi,
        >
        >I have 5,000 genealogy documents (birth, marriage death, wills, deeds,
        >cemetery and etc)... But I would like to know if there is a file name
        >convention for scanning all these documents... I was told to keep it
        >8 chars so I am trying to figure out a good system...
        >
        >Is there a system for that kind of things... I would like to put
        >these all on cd-rom... I am open to IDEAS!!!
        >
        >Debbe Hagner

        Having retired from the Navy, and worked government contracts for some
        time, I am use to having unusual naming systems that work most of the
        time. I have worked on just this problem for several years now, (more than
        3), and have not gotten a good method worked out for 8 or less
        characters. The least that I worked out that worked well was for 12
        characters.

        The system that was working the best had 16 characters. With most of the
        old 8.3 naming conventions for computer files about gone now, I have
        decided to keep the 16 character set.

        Here is a sample set: (very few characters)

        I will use positions by number to explain.

        12345678 where the following is the code.

        1 is used for type of file. Such as F for family group sheet. P is for
        personal page with all known data on person. C for census data. S is for
        pictures, or snapshots. Had trouble with this as wanted P for personal
        page. You can go on from there to make up to 26 type of files. If you use
        lower case, up to 52 types of files.

        2,3,4,5 for soundex number of person.

        6 for family groups, for instance under a particular soundex number can be
        several names, close to each other, but that need to be keep
        apart. Assigned a letter to each name as it came up.

        78 for file number, and when you use capitol, lower case, numerals, and
        such, you can have a very large number of files.

        The problem is you must keep a very up to date index on a system such as
        this, and have it indexed on name, and area at least, with more listings as
        needed for your own purposes.

        Shakey Jack