Re: Digital Camera to copy pictures

  • Patty Hankins
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 14 3:20 AM
      Karlena -

      We've used three different digital cameras to copy photos - a Nikon 950, Sony CD
      Mavica 1000, and a Canon D30. All of them worked just fine.

      We usually use a fairly large file format - uncompressed TIFF or the JPEG with
      the least compression - so the Sony - with a CD that holds 150 images or the
      Canon with the IBM Mircordrive that holds 700 images - beat out the Nikon using a
      32 MB compact flash - that holds 5 images.

      We use a copy stand to hold the camera steady - and always put the camera into
      self timer mode. The copy stand also has four bright lights - so we adjust white
      balance.

      We've got a photo of our copystand setup on my husband's website - the Virtual
      Vintage Image - http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~wflawrence/index.htm -
      in the Tour the Digital Darkroom section.

      Hope this helps

      Patty

      genphoto@yahoogroupsMessage: 1

      > Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 18:46:10 +1000
      > From: "Karlena" <karlena@...>
      > Subject: Digital Camera to copy pictures.
      >
      > I am planning on purchasing a Digital Camera and I would like some
      > suggestions as to what I would need as a minimum requirement to meet my
      > needs.
      > I require a camera that will let me photograph other photos. (For family
      > history purposes. I have several relatives with photos who will not let me
      > remove them to scan them.) I would also want to use to camera to do ordinary
      > photos. An easy way to connect the camera to my computer and reasonable
      > storage of photos on the camera or on disc (Smart Card)
      > I have looked at several in different shops but each place gives me
      > different information as to what I want and the prices range from $600 to
      > $2000 for the minimum price I would need to spend to meet my requirements.
      > Thus I am getting very confused.
      > Can anyone give me a simple list of what the camera would need to have to
      > let me do what I want to do without wasting money on whizzbang gizmos that I
      > can't afford and don't need.
      > Any help much appreciated.
      > Bye Karlena
    • Cindy Greene
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 14 9:01 AM
        Karlena,

        You have received some excellent advice. I've been using a Nikon CoolPix
        950 for about 8 months and absolutely love it. If I were buying one
        today, I would buy the new Nikon 995, which George recommended to you.

        A couple of thoughts. You want at LEAST 2 megapixels if you are
        concerned about capturing high-quality copies. The older and/or cheaper
        1-megapixel cameras just do not capture enough information for high
        quality copies. My CP 950 is 2.1 megapixels; the 995 is 3+ megapixels.

        If you are using a 2-megapixel camera, your picture files will NOT fit
        on a floppy disk, so that eliminates the Sony Mavicas that use the
        floppies. Well you could probably fit 2 or 3 on a disk, but that's no
        fun. CompactFlash cards (which Nikon uses) or SmartMedia cards are not
        terribly expensive, and you can use a $30 card reader that attaches to
        your computer via USB and acts as an external drive. I usually use a
        64MB CF card and can get about 120 1600x1200 photos on it. I have a 32MB
        and an 8MB for backup. You can get a 64MB card now for about $60 or so.

        Nearly all of these middle-to-high-end cameras work wonderfully as
        point-and-shoot on auto mode. But you might find that you enjoy using
        some of the manual options. I'm still learning how to use mine, but find
        myself using manual mode nearly all the time. I like to use a fast
        shutter speed for my daughters' sports, and the continuous or "burst"
        mode is great.

        All digital cameras have high battery requirements, as the batteries
        fuel all the fun stuff that is going on. Rechargeable batteries (at
        least 2 sets) and a fast battery charger are very important.

        Digital cameras do have a shut-down feature to save battery life, as
        George mentioned. However, this feature can be modified in the menu -
        you can turn it completely off if you like. Otherwise the monitor goes
        off after a certain period of non-use to conserve batteries. I've
        learned to just turn the monitor off (one button click) when I'm not
        using it, and then a quick buttom click brings it up again in seconds.

        My favorite "learning" site is the one Adam recommended:

        http://www.dpreview.com

        Check out their review and also the Forums -- you can learn so much by
        reading the posts there.

        I also just discovered this one:

        http://www.megapixel.net/html/issueindex.html

        Browse around their reviews and articles - very nice, free info.

        Also if you are interested in a Nikon, the CoolPix990 mailing list has
        wonderfully helpful professionals and amateurs who have helped me
        tremendously. To subscribe, write

        coolpix990-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

        Good luck & have fun!

        Cindy Greene