799Re: [genphoto] Book Recommendation

  • pyeattm@baxter.com
    Feb 2, 2001
      Well.......Since you offered. I have a group of photos for which I have no
      identification at all except they are part of my Perry family. I have tried
      to date them based on Joan's book. Most are 1860-1880s based on my limited
      knowledge. I have put some dates on some of them - but, would like your
      opinion as to whether I am in the neighborhood. They are at
      http://www.picturetrail.com/pyeatt
      in the "Unidentified Perry Relations album". I think that with accurate
      dates, I may be able to determine who these people might be in order to
      track down other images of those individuals for comparison. Thanks, MCP

      Bill and/or
      Glenna Jo To: genphoto@yahoogroups.com
      Christen cc:
      <gwjchris@rus Subject: Re: [genphoto] Book
      t.net> Recommendation

      02/01/01
      09:53 PM
      Please
      respond to
      genphoto

      pyeattm@... wrote:

      > Wow! Sound like you really know your clothing! Don't suppose you have a
      > book that I can buy?

      Sorry, not right now. I am in the process of writing a book on men's
      clothes
      from 1855-1870.

      > I have bought a few others, but, they just give the most basic
      description of
      > the clothing and don't tell you why they put the date on them

      Joan make some assumptions based on secondary source material, add some
      imaginative descriptions of the people, misses some of the dating details
      of
      the mediums, describes colors in black and white images and mixes fashion
      design cues. She has published a lot of nice images. That is why we bought
      the
      book. She has acknowledged her errors when we discussed them. It's a
      learning
      process for all of us.

      My wife and I have a modest collection of images (several thousand), a
      substantial reference library and a few dozen original garments. You need
      really 'listen" to what the image or original garment is "saying" when
      dating
      or identifying. We are always happy to help folks ID or date images and
      garments. we live in Michigan and welcome visitors. We also know "how much
      we
      don't know" about photography of the mid-nineteenth century and are willing
      gain more education.

      Bill Christen
      --
      gwjchris@...
      Visit our web site, "The Curiosity Shop"

      list admin: knoblock@... City Gallery: http://www.city-gallery.com/
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic