      From: Janice Woolley <janice@...>
      To: genphoto@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sun, 20 Apr 2008 6:18 pm
      Subject: [genphoto] scanning photos

      Hi,
      I am a newcomer to this list. I recently acquired about 2000 slides
      taken of my family, plus probably 1000 from my husband's family, not
      to mention "our" slide collection of our children. The volume is
      overwhelming as I read that an estimated time to clean off dust and
      scan is 4 minutes a slide. I also have old B&W photos. My goal is to
      sort these, choose the best and scan to DVD for distribution to
      family. My questions are:

      1. Have any of you used a reliable commercial service to do the
      scanning? If so who?
      2. What is your estimate of the time per slide and/or photo to do an
      adequate scan?
      3. What scanner is recommended?

      Thanks so much for sharing your experience.

      Janice Woolley
      Seattle WA