      From: Ken Allen
      Date: 03/24/06 19:14:14
      To: genphoto@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [genphoto] looking for a good Photo Scanner

      Hi Tom,

      Look at the Epson 4990, I have one, and it is a very popular sub
      $1,000 scanner for photographic prints. It does not have a feeder,
      but I would be careful using a feeder unless you are talking about
      same size good condition RC prints. The 4990 does an OK job at
      scanning slides. That said you will get better image quality from
      slides if you use a dedicated scanner like the Nikon 5000ED, it has
      an atuo film loader as an accessory.

      I have no affiliation with Nikon or Epson and do not benefit from
      recommending their products.

      Best,

      Ken Allen
      Image Conservator, Inc.
      www.savethephotos.com

      On Mar 24, 2006, at 5:21 PM, Tom Knox wrote:

      > What is the current recommendation:
      >
      > I am looking to purchase a scanner, high quality,
      > high-speed, high-res, with feeder (?).
      > I've got a client with LARGE quantities of photos, different sizes -
      > the client will pay for the scanner, and I get to keep it,
      > plus payment for time/materials.
      > (Could such a scanner also reasonably do slides well?)
      >
      > - Tom Knox

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      Visit your group "genphoto" on the web.