2462Re: [genphoto] Cleaning photos and negatives

  • Historic Photo Archive
    Jul 17 8:21 AM
      The best source of information on this subject is Henry Wilhelm's book "The
      Permanence and Care of Color Photographs" which is now a free download at:
      http://www.wilhelm-research.com/book.html

      Some additional quick advice:

      3 ring binder pages have been proven to cause deterioration of negatives and
      are no longer used by archives. One of the chapters in Wilhelms' book shows
      examples of the problems that they cause to negatives and I can attest to
      having seen this myself many times. The problem is caused by the coating
      that manufacturers apply to the plastic in order to weld the seams on the
      page, and applies to all manufacturers.

      I recommend the Light Impressions Mylar D sleeves for 35mm and 120 format
      film.

      If you buy your archival envelopes from one source, be sure that you buy the
      boxes from the same place since some manufacturers make their envelopes and
      boxes slightly larger or smaller and sometimes the envelopes may not fit the
      box.

      Best way to blow off dust is with a medical compressor, which are very cheap
      on ebay in the Business & Industrial > Healthcare, Lab & Life
      Science > Medical Equipment category. Air is available in cans but if you
      tilt the can while spraying you shoot a substance across the film, also the
      canned air is too expensive. Here is the exact model that I have been using
      for the last 20 years:
      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7527451960
      You need a hose and nozzle with it, I use one off an old canned air can.

      --
      Thomas Robinson
      http://www.historicphotoarchive.com