2218RE: [genphoto] Re: Scanning a negative

  • Bonnie
    Aug 5, 2004
      I have used a "do it yourself" method, and it was very simple and very
      economical and I got great results! I used a light box (around 10-20$ --
      sold at most scrapbooking stores and craft stores like Joann's or Michaels
      (see 20-50% off discount coupons in each Sunday's paper for more savings)
      and used the macro setting on my Nikon digital camera. you could use a
      tripod to have a steadier hand, but I didn't even do that. The light table
      is great for also sorting slides and negatives if you don't want to invest
      in the expensive kits that let you stack up the negatives on little
      stands/rows. It's also portable so if your "great aunt Suzy" has negatives
      but won't let you take them, you can photograph them right there on the
      spot.

      I'd recommend "framing" the negative with black paper to keep the bright
      light from the light table from affecting your exposure settings, or use a
      backlight feature if your camera has one.

      I'm all for using the best on the market, but if you're pinched for pennies,
      you should consider this unless you definitely want a new scanner.

      just my 2 cents,

      Bonnie Schroader
      Surprise, AZ
      the do it yourself transparency adapter is a waste of time. If you want a
      full explanation, let me know.