Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

2053Re: [genphoto] Correcting Old Blurred Photographs?

Expand Messages
  • linsley@linsley.best.vwh.net
    Mar 1, 2004
    • 0 Attachment
      Susan Farmer <sfarmer@...> wrote:
      > > I wrote:
      > > > either way: In theory, it is probably possible, but this would be more
      > > > akin to the sort of image processing that NASA does to enhance the detail
      > > > in Hubble space telecope images, than it is to anything that consumer,
      > > > or even pro, photo software can do.
      > >
      > > By a funny coincidence, today my employer was giving away some old
      > > books, and I picked up one on image processing that happens to
      > > discuss this very subject.
      > Oooh. Reference? Book title?

      Watkins, Sadun & Marenka. Modern Image Processing: Warping, Morphing
      and Classical Techniques. Academic Press Professional (a division of
      Harcourt Brace & Co.), 1993.

      Note, however, that they do not really deal with correcting anything
      other than the sort of generic, random (Gaussian) fuzzyness typical
      of out-of-focus pictures or atmospheric turbulence in astronomical
      photos. They mention that correcting other problems can be done if
      you can find the point spread function, and that, if the image
      contains a single point object (like a star), the point spread
      function can be calculated from the image itself, but do not describe
      how to do so, nor how to estimate the point spread function if the
      image does not contain a point object.

      Chuck Linsley
    • Show all 19 messages in this topic