William A Ross, Primitive Baptist minister

  • Susan L Hancock
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 3, 2003
      William Alfred Ross was my 2nd greatgrandfather. He was born 11 Jan
      1822 in Pactolus Township of Pitt Co. and died 22 Mar 1897 in Pitt
      Co. He married twice- first to Lydia Lucretia James, and second to
      Harriet Lyvester Gurganus. I have an extensive list of his
      descendants if anyone would like one. Now- I do have a few notes
      about his family and church work- which I will copy here.

      From Ross-Tucker Family entry of Pitt County in Pitt Co. Heritage
      #1078, p. 605 They had following children according to this...John
      S, Sara E, Samuel R, Charles McG, Mary A, George Abner, Joseph S,
      Riley A, Martha R, Margaret, Joshua

      from the Pitt County 1880 Census Pactolus Township p. 19

      #187-169 William A. Ross 59 Baptist Minister, Lyvestra 36 Wife, John
      S 15 son, Sarah E 14 dau, Samuel R 12 son, Charles Mc 11 son, Mary A
      9 dau, George A 7 son, Joseph S 6 son, Rilley A 4 dau, Martha R 1
      dau, Robuck Lizzie 79 aunt (widow)

      Marriage License Pitt Co., NC, William A Ross to Harriet L. Gurganus
      25 August 1863 Pitt Co. by Willis R. Whichard- JP

      1870 Pitt Co. Census #277 Pactolus Township- Ross W Alfred 49, Visha
      25, Thomas E 19, Jos S 16, Malissa 13, John J 5, SE 4, Sam R 2,
      Charles M 1, Eliza Roebuck- domestic servant 70

      Pitt Co., NC 1850 census #1026 Ross Alfred A. 27 NC Farmer (225)
      James Lucretia 23 NC, William H. 1 NC

      Now these notes are from the files of Elizabeth Ross who is also a
      descendant of William A Ross. She has a wonderful website that I'm
      sure many of you are familiar with.

      "From the Briery Swamp Church minutes, on microfilm in the ECU
      Manuscript Collection (originals in the possession of Mrs. Joe
      Leggett of Stokes, NC).

      On the Saturday before the 2nd Sunday in April, 1897, Samuel R. Ross
      was the Moderator at a conference meeting of Briery Swamp Church,
      during which: On Motion agreed Our Clerk placed the resolution now
      in Bro. W. R. Whichards possession in Memory of Bro. Wm. A. Ross on
      Our Church Book.

      In Memoriam: Whereas it pleased God to Send the grim Messenger of
      death to the home of our dear brother and beloved pastor Elder
      William A. Ross on the morning of the 22nd of March last and take
      him as we humbly hope and believe to himself in glory,

      Therefore be it resolved by the Church at Briery Swamp in Conference
      Assembled First That while we deplore and Mourn his loss We mourn
      not as those without hope, believing as we do that our loss is his
      eternal and glorious gain

      Second That we mourn his loss on account of our own bereaved and
      destitute condition, being left as we are without one to go in and
      Out before us, and we humbly pray God to raise himself up a faithful
      Servant and qualify him according to his own will to take his place
      and Serve us at this place

      Done by Order of conference Saturday before Second Sunday in April
      1897.

      SR Ross Moderator, WH Williams, Church Clerk"

      and one final note from Daily Reflector index online...

      Sam Ross, Alfred Ross, and W.A. Ross E.R. 30 April 1890

      I hope this helps with your search-

      Susan Leggett Hancock

      Harkers Island, NC
    • Tracy Stancil/mail.hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 4, 2003
        Susan,
        Thanks so much for all the wonderful information. Got a question for you. Have you ever found absolute proof the William Ross's father was married to Charles Rollin's daughter?
        Thanks,
        Tracy

        #1078, p. 605 They had following children according to this...John

        #187-169 William A. Ross 59 Baptist Minister, Lyvestra 36 Wife, John

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Click here for current information on Pitt County Historical Society: http://www.pittcountyhistoricalsociety.com/

        Chronicles of Pitt Co Order Form: http://www.usgennet.org/usa/nc/county/pitt/Chronicles%20Flyer%20Feb03.htm

        GenealogyPITT Co NC Friends In