RE: [genpcncfir] old remedies for chiggers

    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 30, 2003
      Dear Evelyn, We bought the cough syrup with codeine in
      it. Codeine was the ingredient that suppressed the
      cough. I imagine that some of our members can provide
      you with herbal remedies. My daddy simply used whiskey
      straight from the bottle; it cleared up sore throats
      like a miracle drug as well. The day my tonsils were
      removed Mama left me in the car with Daddy--big
      mistake. I could barely talk. My throat felt as if it
      were going to STRANGLE me. Daddy persuaded me to give
      his HORSE MEDICINE a try, but even at six years old, I
      knew that Mama would have a FIT if he gave me that
      whiskey. Mama had gone to the drugstore to get the
      prescription ordered by Dr. Haar, my pediatrician, and
      the longer I sat there, the more my throat ailed me.
      Unable to bear anymore, I said, "Okay, Daddy, where's
      your horse medicine!" Daddy opened the glove
      compartment (we called it the "car pocket," how about
      you all?) quick as a wink and whipped out the bottle
      of Jack Daniels. I reached for it like a drowning man
      for a rope, and started to chug. Of course, I almost
      immediately began to SPUTTER. The sting went all the
      way up my nose and down my throat, but I kept down the
      whiskey--didn't lose a drop! Relief was INSTANTANEOUS!
      Mama smelled the WHISKEY the minute she opened the car
      door and was ready to go ballistic when Daddy told her
      I'd asked for it. Still, when she saw that at least no
      harm was done, she let it pass. The next day I was
      eating toast, and nobody would ever have known I'd
      just had my tonsils out. As for sore throats in
      general, though, I know two fixes: 1) Cherry
      brandy--tastes great, too!; and 2)Hot tea with a
      tablespoon of honey and a tablespoon of lemon juice
      added to each cup. It not only stops the pain, it gets
      rid of that dry, scratchy feeling. I've really found
      no lozenges that work. In place of those, I buy those
      red and white peppermint hard candies (the candy canes
      during the Christmas season) or wintergreen or
      peppermint Life Savers, and they do the trick. Later,
      Carol

      === message truncated ===

      http://sbc.yahoo.com