RE: [genpcncfir] Langley/Owens

  • Kimberly Powell
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 8, 2003
      Hi Linda :)

      You've got the right Crisp family, but the line past William M. is all
      guesswork to my knowledge (I'm assuming that you received most of this
      from the Internet or other researchers because that same information has
      been passed around quite a bit). None of the serious Crisp family
      researchers that I know of have "proven" any of it to the point where I
      would feel comfortable putting it in a book, however. I'm pretty sure
      that William M.'s father is Ezekiel, but even there I don't have a solid
      enough case for my liking yet. The "Old William" Crisp to Ezekiel Crisp
      connection is fairly well proven with wills, etc., but there is nothing
      proving his middle name was Mansell to my knowledge. The connection
      which lists Johnathan Crisp & Deliverance Mansell as the parents of "Old
      William" is also a complete guess as far as I know. At least I've never
      seen any conclusive evidence that backs it up and I've been all over the
      old records from Edgecombe, Beaufort, Martin, Pitt, Chowan, and Bertie.

      Who was your source for the Crisp info? Do you recall? I believe a lot
      of the information you have on William M. Crisp came to you from me in
      some form or fashion. It looks like the exact dates and guesswork from
      my early work on the family (I descended from Silas Crisp). Most is
      correct, but I do know quite a bit more now about the family and there
      are also some errors in the work that I did back then that I have since
      corrected. I'm having radiation treatments this week, but as soon as I
      can get to it I'll try to dig some more of the information up for you if
      you would like. You can confirm and correct a lot of the information for
      yourself as well (which you really should do if you plan to publish
      since you need sources for that information). The family is well
      represented in the census and land records. Some of the descendants of
      Silas Crisp are also documented fairly accurately in the Pitt County
      Chronicles (by a descendant from a different branch than mine). As I
      mentioned previously, the will/estate record for William M. Crisp is in
      the NC Archives, as is the one for Lucy Crisp (though it doesn't tell
      you as much since she left everything to Mary Jane). Several of the
      marriages are also documented in marriage bonds.

      You also mentioned that Ezekiel and Elizabeth had "three unnamed
      babies." Those children did live to grow up - you can follow them
      through the early census records and they are mentioned (although not by
      name) in Ezekiel's probate records.

      I'm sorry I can't share more for now due to my treatment which begins in
      the morning, but hopefully this helps you get started! I'll try to get
      back to you soon with more details :)

      Kimberly Powell

      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 10, 2003
        GOING TO TARBORO LIBRARY THIS AM AND HOPEFULLY WILL FIND A FEW MORE TID-BITS
        /OR CORRECT WHAT I HAVE. THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION ON WILLIAM M. CRISP. I
        SAW IT AND ADDED IT SO I COULD RESEARCH IT MORE. IF IT AIN'T THERE IT WON'T
        GO IN BOOK........C U L. LINDA B.