Re: [genpcncfir] Re: Nichols, Slaughters, Worthingtons, McGowan

    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 4, 2003
      Dear Robin, Fantastic! The biggest gap in my family
      information is the place of burial. Another cousin,
      Trish Worthington Cobb, and I spend every spare minute
      when we get together a couple of times a year going to
      cemeteries and taking pictures of headstones--Trish is
      the photographer: she takes the pictures, and I write
      out the information. Actually to see my family
      members' graves is like having my family with me. I
      probably feel more strongly than some of our relatives
      because I did not have the opportunity of even knowing
      my generation of relatives in so many cases and never
      had the chance to grow up with any of them. It's like
      being an orphan and finally realizing that I have an
      incredible family whose lives have spanned almost the
      entire history of our country. I'll get an email off
      to you as soon as I finish deleting my 200+ overnight
      bulk mail measures so that I can restore my space!
      Thanks so very much, Carol

      === message truncated ===

      http://calendar.yahoo.com
    • Louise Champion
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 5, 2003
        Hi Robin,

        This is great!! A new cousin just around the corner, but I think
        it is Linda that is the descendent that lives around the corner
        from you. The "James Nelson Nichols house" is in the "Chronicles
        of Pitt Co." Many of Arden's sons could build a house. I wonder
        if James built the house in the book.

        You should go down and see that house on Nichols Road that I was
        telling you about. It is real cute. It looks like it was built
        about the same time as the one in the book. The road is just off
        of Bell Arthur Rd and it is called Nichols Rd. Just behind that
        house (about 50 ft) is a Strickland cemetery (Jeremiah Nichols b.
        1871) is also there. Jeremiah was one of Arden's sons also. My
        family (George Nichols) would come over to visit you aunt Christina
        (Little Bit) and all of the Nichols families there. They knew Bell
        Arthur very well. But George never lived there after he got
        married. Louise

      • Robin Nichols
        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 5, 2003
          Louise,
          My husband's grandparents use to own it. I'll have to ask my father-in-law about previous owners. I have a picture of how it looked say over 30 years ago. It has had a lot of remodeling done to it over the years. The old Nichols two story which is on the same road has also had a lot of remodeling. I have not found an old picture of it yet. Aunt Dot Nichols lives there now, maybe she has an old picture of it. It was originally owned by Robert Nelson Nichols (Silas Nichols son). Back on Bell Arthur Road (formerly Nichols Rd.) there is another Nichols house. I think there is an old picture of it "Chronicles of Pitt Co." My father-in-law owns the farm around it and he and my brother-in-law had it remodeled and my brother-in-law still lives there. There use to be a two story (Nichols) house beside my house, but a tornado in the early 70's destroyed it. This house I think belonged to Heber Leon Nichols (Thomas Arden Nichols son). Thomas and his first wife Emily and two of there children are buried across the road.

          Robin

          >>> champright@... 06/05/03 10:23AM >>>

          Click here for current information on Pitt County Historical Society: http://www.pittcountyhistoricalsociety.com/

          Chronicles of Pitt Co Order Form: http://www.usgennet.org/usa/nc/county/pitt/Chronicles%20Flyer%20Feb03.htm

          GenealogyPITT Co NC Friends In

          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 6, 2003
            Dear Robin, Hi! One of our members sent me yesterday a
            copy of my great grandmother's death certificate from
            the Pitt County Courthouse. The death certificate says
            that she was buried in the Robert Carney Burial
            Ground. Jacky Ann McGowan died June 18, 1925 at the
            age of 75. The death certifcate filled out by my
            grandfather,son-in-law of Jacky Ann, noted also that
            Jacky Ann was a widow. I've never been able to find
            out more than that her consort was a cousin, William
            McGowan. Jacky had at least four cousins named William
            Mcgowan. As far as I can find all but William George
            McGowan died before 1920--I'm guessing here, though,
            because I was relying on census records. Roger
            Kammerer from the Pitt County Family Researchers let
            me copy some McGowan records he had, and that
            informant said that William K. [Kinsey] McGowan never
            married. Of course, William Kinsey, son of William W.
            and Martha Ann Moore, was born around 1852, and I
            doubt that Roger's informant in the late 1999's knew
            this William personally. He may have the facts
            correct, or he may not have known if this William
            married because this William may have chosen not to
            reveal the fact. One of my cousins wrote that Latter
            Day Saint records show that this William was indeed
            the William who was Jacky Ann McGowan's husband. I'm
            hoping that Jacky's tombstone might tell me more. Her
            death certificate did not give either her parents'
            names or the name of her deceased husband. Daughter
            Jennie Secession McGowan gave her father's name upon
            her marriage only as William McGowan. I was wondering
            if you or any of our members has heard of the Robert
            Carney Burial Ground or cemetery. It is not online,
            and Bill Kittrell (also a member of the Pitt County
            Family Researchers) says he is not familiar with it
            but will look into it. The 1850 census shows Robert H.
            Carney and Elizabeth "Betsy" Hatton as the parents of
            Robert Carney who married Jennie L. McGowan, sister of
            Jacky Ann McGowan. Martin Moore, I see from the 1850
            census, was married to Cynthia Hatton. Martin Moore
            was the father of Perlina [Paulina] Moore, mother of
            Jennie L. and Jacky Ann McGowan. Jacky's daughter
            Jennie Secession McGowan was named for her Aunt
            Jennie--I've seen Jennie's name spelled "Jeanett," but
            Mama said it was Jennie. The Carneys lived in
            Greenville Township North of the Tar River. According
            to some of my relatives, Jennie grew up in the
            Pactolus Area; she attended Parker's Chapel Church. As
            for the Robert Carney Burial Ground, I do not know if
            it was simply a family cemetery located on the family
            property as many such cemeteries were or if it was on
            land given by the family for a cemetery, as Cherry
            Hill was. I also do not know if this cemetery is
            conveniently included in one of the books at Joyner
            Library on Pitt County Cemeteries. When I was there
            last month, I had never even heard of the Carney
            cemetery, so of course I didn't look it up. I had
            assumed that most of my relatives were buried in
            Greenwood because it was the cemetery used by my
            immediate family until the death of my Uncle Poe
            Worthington in 1968. Aunt Doris did not know that
            Grandpa Alfred (1871) had bought six cemetery plots in
            Greenwood, intending three of them for his children,
            so he was buried in Pinewood. Like a poor soul on "Who
            Wants to be a Millionnaire," I am now polling the
            audience. Thanks for any information on this cemetery
            or on William McGowan obituaries. Later, Carol

            === message truncated ===

            http://calendar.yahoo.com
          • Robin Nichols
            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 6, 2003
              Carol,
              I have not heard of the Robert Carney Burial Ground. I'll keep my eyes
              open. I am also a member of the Pitt County Family Researchers and
              Roger and Bill are wonderful sources for information. If the cemetery
              is still out there, I am sure Bill will run across it one day. My
              husbands materal grandmother was also from the Mcgowans. I have done
              some research on them, but not as much as I would like. I'll look
              through my Mcgowan stuff for any of these names.
              Robin

              >>> csinghworthington@... 06/06/03 11:09AM >>>

              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 6, 2003
                Dear Robin, Thanks so very much. I'm thinking, though,
                that it must be somewhere on Carney property. Grandpa
                Alp (Alfred) bought plots in Greenwood Cemetery in
                1934 when Grandma Jennie died--June 1934. Before then,
                McGowans were buried in cemeteries where other
                relatives were buried(Cherry Hill, Brooks, etc.) and
                in church cemeteries. However, I did not find Grandma
                Jacky in Red Banks or Reedy Branch, and with no death
                certificate and Greenwood incomplete on line, I
                assumed that Grandpa had had her buried in Greenwood
                and that I would run across it there one day by
                walking through and searching each grave. Since
                Grandma Jacky and her sister, Jennie L., were very
                close, I am not surprised that Jacky was buried in her
                sister's husband's family cemetery and even less
                surprised when I realized that Carney's maternal line
                was Hatton--the McGowan maternal line. McGowans liked
                to be together in death as well as in life; that much
                I did know and was surprised not to find all of them
                together. The Hardee (my Hardee-McGowan-Worthington
                line) maternal line was also McGowan, and McGowans and
                Hardees are buried together, but I didn't find Jacky
                with them either. People are so interesting! Later,

                === message truncated ===

                http://calendar.yahoo.com