Re: [genpcncfir] Genealogy.com/1900 census/need a favor

  • Gloria Taylor
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 3, 2003
      Paula,

      Max Gisberg in 2nd Ward, Bayonne, Hudson Coo., NY, p. 134B, Ed 5, Sheet #
      23, line 60, H/H # 438
      Gisberg, Max, head, w/m, b. Dec 1871, age 28, Married 6 years, born Germany,
      both parents born Germany, 1895, 5 years, (have misplaced my guide to the
      census, but believe this is when he came into the country), occupation
      Peddlin clothing, rents home; Bessie wife, born Oct 1876, age 23, m. 6
      years, had 2 children, 2 living, born in Germany, both parents born in
      Germany, 1895, 5, both speak English; Annie, daughter born Apr. 1896, age 4,
      born in NJ, in school; Netter son, born March 1898, age 2, b, NJ.

      There are no other Gisbergs on the page before or after. There is a Jocob
      and Phillip in Essex Co., and a Charles and Anna also Essex co. NJ.

      Gloria

      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 3, 2003
        Thank you for the answer Gloria. I will forward it to Peter.

        Paula Anne Baker
        paulabaker69@...
        Greene County NC

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 4, 2003
          Thanks, mucho. Peter is having trouble finding his grandfather Bernard
          Gusberg in the 1900 census. He's just looked and looked and I've helped him
          look. Would you give it a try? Maybe you can come up with a spelling that
          we haven't found.

          Paula Anne Baker
          paulabaker69@...
          Greene County NC

        • Tracy Stancil/mail.hotmail.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 4, 2003
            Paula,
            I don't know enough about Peter's grandfather to know wether or not I've found him. Do you know anything?
            Bernard's approx birthdate? Death? Wife? Which child of Bernard was Peter's parent?
            Has Bernard been definitely found on one of the later censuses? If so where?
            Tracy
            Thanks, mucho. Peter is having trouble finding his grandfather Bernard
            Gusberg in the 1900 census. He's just looked and looked and I've helped him
            look. Would you give it a try? Maybe you can come up with a spelling that
            we haven't found.

            Paula Anne Baker
            paulabaker69@...
            Greene County NC

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Click here for current information on Pitt County Historical Society: http://www.pittcountyhistoricalsociety.com/

            Chronicles of Pitt Co Order Form: http://www.usgennet.org/usa/nc/county/pitt/Chronicles%20Flyer%20Feb03.htm

            GenealogyPITT Co NC Friends In

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 4, 2003
              Here is some info that Peter posted online. Send whatever you find and I'll
              send it to Peter. Gusberg is not a common name early in the 20th century.

              Searching for BERNARD GUSBERG (or B. Ginsburg) in the 1900 census. I have
              him in Newark, N.J. in 1896 and 1905 but I've tried many places but still
              can't locate him in 1900. ...

              Seeking infomation on any connection to Bernard Gusberg husband of Dina
              (DOD:1897) & then Rose (Kusis)Gelfand. Bernard & Dina had five children:
              Morris who married Lena Gelfand; David married Beccky Meyer in NYC; Bessie
              married Morris Gerber; Pauline married Sam Gottlober and Clara (married Sam
              Ed Cole) in Conn. 1917 and them my dad: Peter McCue. Most of the family
              lived in Newark, NJ where Bernard died in 1924. At this writing there are
              nine grandchildren still living: Peter & David James McCue their sister Lee
              LaVernette-Weber of L.A.;Seymour Gerber;
              Philip & Monty Gusberg of Dover, DE. and their sister: Doris Guerin-Traina
              of Florida and the 2 children of Morris & Lena Gusberg: Dr. Saul B. Gusberg
              of Conn. & Florida and his sister: Dortis Gusberg in a West Orange, N>J>
              nursing home.

              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 4, 2003
                Hey Paula,
                I'm at a loss too.
                I think Ginsberg might be the way to go too. I wonder if Bernard might have been listed by another name such as Morris, David, or Peter- or by a nickname such as Bernie, Barney, Bennett, Barnett etc.
                I'm not sure when the kids were born, but were any of them grown by 1900? Could Bernard have been living with possible adult children? If he was in a sons house he wouldn't be in the index.
                Otherwise all I can think of to do is to try to find a death record of the first wife Dina/Dinah or to try to find a marriage record to the second wife Rose. ( Has Bernard been found in 1910? Where?)
                Some significant events might have occurred in NYC so it might be worth checking their vital records, most of which are unfortunately not on line.
                Best of luck,
                Tracy