Re: Nichols, Slaughters, Worthingtons, McGowan

  • Louise Champion
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 3, 2003
      Hi Carol,

      You are so right about these families and more. I know the
      Worthingtons lived next door to my Cooper family and my mother knew
      them well. There are many small cemeteries on the old Nichols Road
      (It is the long road that goes through Bell Arthur, just next to
      Winterville--I think it is call Bell Arthur Road now). Robin
      Nichols lives on that road and I think her line is also James
      Nelson Nichols. She is very interested in her husband's family
      line (Nichols). I don't know how much you know, but Arden Nichols
      owned all of the land along that road in 1850. When his sons
      married he gave them each a farm along Nichols' Road. And guess
      what? There are Nichols cemeteries all along the Road and Robin
      has pictures of them. One of the grave yards is the Worthingtons.
      Most of the grave yards are inclosed in a iron fence and you can
      see them from the road. They are taken very good care of. Robin
      takes care of two herself. My sister, Faye, and I went to Bell
      Arthur/Winterville and just happened to be there during Sept 11,
      2001. We were there only two days, but we saw many of the graves
      that I am talking about. We also know where John Slaughter and
      Mary Worthington are buried. We saw it somewhere on the internet
      and we went looking for it.

      In September there was a field of corn (with under growth) there
      and you had to go through there to get to the grave. I had a flash
      light and started through (it was getting dark). I went about half
      way when the fellow came out and told us that there were rattle
      snakes in there. Boy did I come out fast. He said the best thing
      to do was to come back after harvest and the field would be
      cleared. Of course, I live in California and didn't get to come
      back. I just found the article below on the internet. It is
      greee-at!! Must go--talk later Louise

      While researching some Pitt County family members I happened across
      a family cemetery covered in thorny thickets in the middle of a
      tobacco field on Hwy 903 2.1 miles west of Winterville, NC. These
      are the names I was able to capture.

      Mary A.S. Slaughter
      Mar 14 1861 - Aug 27 1861

      Catherine Slaughter
      1858-1876

      John Slaughter
      1816-1886

      Rebecca Slaughter
      1866-1886

      Nancy S. Norris
      1848 - 1875

      These are the actual dates I removed from the tombstones, there are
      possibly more in the thorny thicket but I was able to get these
      names without sustaining too much injury.

      There is a similar listing of Slaughters that has now been proven
      to be incomplete compared to what I found. There is also a (DALE)
      family cemetery across the road from the Slaughter Cemetery that is
      also in the middle of the tobacco fields. I suggest all researchers
      plan fall trips to Pitt County for the cemetery searches because
      the tobacco fields seems to be where these small family cemeteries
      are at. In the middle of the 3 family home sites I went to the
      other day all 3 had fresh plowed fields exposing the cemeteries
      which were tall thorn covered green area's that were 100%
      surrounded by summer tobacco which would hide them during the
      summer months making access impossible. October seems to be the
      tobacco harvest thereby making the searches easier. The (SHIVERS)
      cemetery at Winterville information is correct as posted except
      that the cemetery is on the Shivers home site and is still owned by
      Shivers.

      James Shivers
      Shivers Family Researcher
      shivers@...

      Further lookups and information can be bargained,purchased or
      beaten out of me.

      http://calendar.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 3, 2003
        Dear Louise, I was planning to do a summer cemetery
        sleuthing tour. We lived on the County Home Road.
        Linda is from the Bell Arthur area and attended
        Winterville School, where she met my cousin Alfred Poe
        Worthington, Jr. They were classmates. Four years
        older than I, he was always my hero, so no wonder he
        swept Linda off her feet! Yes, my Dail descendants are
        also buried in the area, and Worthingtons, like the
        Nichols, gave land to their children either when they
        married or when they turned twenty-one, whichever came
        first. I'll get back with you later. Carol

        === message truncated ===

        http://calendar.yahoo.com
      • Robin Nichols
        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 4, 2003
          Hi Carol and Louise,

          I have been reading your emails back and forth on the Nichols line and thought I would jump in. My husband is a descendant of Ardens son Silas (James brother). I have been trying to find as many cousins from Ardens various descendants. Carol, you are the first I have found from James' line. If you are in my area (Bell Arthur) and want a tour of the numerous Nichols cemeteries I will be glad to take you around. Send me a private email and I will give you my phone number. James and Emily as well as several of their children and grandchildren are buried on/near our farm. I will be glad to share my Nichols information with you. Louise I have not forgotten about those pictures you want.

          Robin

          nicholra@...
          Robin Avery Nichols
          Main surnames AVERY, BYRD, SASSER, DUDLEY, FREEMAN
          NICHOLS, TRIPP, MCGOWAN, EVANS, WEST, HAYNES +++

          >>> champright@... 06/03/03 06:11PM >>>

          Click here for current information on Pitt County Historical Society: http://www.pittcountyhistoricalsociety.com/

          Chronicles of Pitt Co Order Form: http://www.usgennet.org/usa/nc/county/pitt/Chronicles%20Flyer%20Feb03.htm

          GenealogyPITT Co NC Friends In

          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 4, 2003
            Dear Robin, Fantastic! The biggest gap in my family
            information is the place of burial. Another cousin,
            Trish Worthington Cobb, and I spend every spare minute
            when we get together a couple of times a year going to
            cemeteries and taking pictures of headstones--Trish is
            the photographer: she takes the pictures, and I write
            out the information. Actually to see my family
            members' graves is like having my family with me. I
            probably feel more strongly than some of our relatives
            because I did not have the opportunity of even knowing
            my generation of relatives in so many cases and never
            had the chance to grow up with any of them. It's like
            being an orphan and finally realizing that I have an
            incredible family whose lives have spanned almost the
            entire history of our country. I'll get an email off
            to you as soon as I finish deleting my 200+ overnight
            bulk mail measures so that I can restore my space!
            Thanks so very much, Carol

            === message truncated ===

            http://calendar.yahoo.com
          • Louise Champion
            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 5, 2003
              Hi Robin,

              This is great!! A new cousin just around the corner, but I think
              it is Linda that is the descendent that lives around the corner
              from you. The "James Nelson Nichols house" is in the "Chronicles
              of Pitt Co." Many of Arden's sons could build a house. I wonder
              if James built the house in the book.

              You should go down and see that house on Nichols Road that I was
              telling you about. It is real cute. It looks like it was built
              about the same time as the one in the book. The road is just off
              of Bell Arthur Rd and it is called Nichols Rd. Just behind that
              house (about 50 ft) is a Strickland cemetery (Jeremiah Nichols b.
              1871) is also there. Jeremiah was one of Arden's sons also. My
              family (George Nichols) would come over to visit you aunt Christina
              (Little Bit) and all of the Nichols families there. They knew Bell
              Arthur very well. But George never lived there after he got
              married. Louise

              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 5, 2003
                Louise,
                My husband's grandparents use to own it. I'll have to ask my father-in-law about previous owners. I have a picture of how it looked say over 30 years ago. It has had a lot of remodeling done to it over the years. The old Nichols two story which is on the same road has also had a lot of remodeling. I have not found an old picture of it yet. Aunt Dot Nichols lives there now, maybe she has an old picture of it. It was originally owned by Robert Nelson Nichols (Silas Nichols son). Back on Bell Arthur Road (formerly Nichols Rd.) there is another Nichols house. I think there is an old picture of it "Chronicles of Pitt Co." My father-in-law owns the farm around it and he and my brother-in-law had it remodeled and my brother-in-law still lives there. There use to be a two story (Nichols) house beside my house, but a tornado in the early 70's destroyed it. This house I think belonged to Heber Leon Nichols (Thomas Arden Nichols son). Thomas and his first wife Emily and two of there children are buried across the road.

                Robin

                >>> champright@... 06/05/03 10:23AM >>>

                Message 7 of 19 , Jun 6, 2003
                  Dear Robin, Hi! One of our members sent me yesterday a
                  copy of my great grandmother's death certificate from
                  the Pitt County Courthouse. The death certificate says
                  that she was buried in the Robert Carney Burial
                  Ground. Jacky Ann McGowan died June 18, 1925 at the
                  age of 75. The death certifcate filled out by my
                  grandfather,son-in-law of Jacky Ann, noted also that
                  Jacky Ann was a widow. I've never been able to find
                  out more than that her consort was a cousin, William
                  McGowan. Jacky had at least four cousins named William
                  Mcgowan. As far as I can find all but William George
                  McGowan died before 1920--I'm guessing here, though,
                  because I was relying on census records. Roger
                  Kammerer from the Pitt County Family Researchers let
                  me copy some McGowan records he had, and that
                  informant said that William K. [Kinsey] McGowan never
                  married. Of course, William Kinsey, son of William W.
                  and Martha Ann Moore, was born around 1852, and I
                  doubt that Roger's informant in the late 1999's knew
                  this William personally. He may have the facts
                  correct, or he may not have known if this William
                  married because this William may have chosen not to
                  reveal the fact. One of my cousins wrote that Latter
                  Day Saint records show that this William was indeed
                  the William who was Jacky Ann McGowan's husband. I'm
                  hoping that Jacky's tombstone might tell me more. Her
                  death certificate did not give either her parents'
                  names or the name of her deceased husband. Daughter
                  Jennie Secession McGowan gave her father's name upon
                  her marriage only as William McGowan. I was wondering
                  if you or any of our members has heard of the Robert
                  Carney Burial Ground or cemetery. It is not online,
                  and Bill Kittrell (also a member of the Pitt County
                  Family Researchers) says he is not familiar with it
                  but will look into it. The 1850 census shows Robert H.
                  Carney and Elizabeth "Betsy" Hatton as the parents of
                  Robert Carney who married Jennie L. McGowan, sister of
                  Jacky Ann McGowan. Martin Moore, I see from the 1850
                  census, was married to Cynthia Hatton. Martin Moore
                  was the father of Perlina [Paulina] Moore, mother of
                  Jennie L. and Jacky Ann McGowan. Jacky's daughter
                  Jennie Secession McGowan was named for her Aunt
                  Jennie--I've seen Jennie's name spelled "Jeanett," but
                  Mama said it was Jennie. The Carneys lived in
                  Greenville Township North of the Tar River. According
                  to some of my relatives, Jennie grew up in the
                  Pactolus Area; she attended Parker's Chapel Church. As
                  for the Robert Carney Burial Ground, I do not know if
                  it was simply a family cemetery located on the family
                  property as many such cemeteries were or if it was on
                  land given by the family for a cemetery, as Cherry
                  Hill was. I also do not know if this cemetery is
                  conveniently included in one of the books at Joyner
                  Library on Pitt County Cemeteries. When I was there
                  last month, I had never even heard of the Carney
                  cemetery, so of course I didn't look it up. I had
                  assumed that most of my relatives were buried in
                  Greenwood because it was the cemetery used by my
                  immediate family until the death of my Uncle Poe
                  Worthington in 1968. Aunt Doris did not know that
                  Grandpa Alfred (1871) had bought six cemetery plots in
                  Greenwood, intending three of them for his children,
                  so he was buried in Pinewood. Like a poor soul on "Who
                  Wants to be a Millionnaire," I am now polling the
                  audience. Thanks for any information on this cemetery
                  or on William McGowan obituaries. Later, Carol

                  === message truncated ===

                  http://calendar.yahoo.com
                • Robin Nichols
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 6, 2003
                    Carol,
                    I have not heard of the Robert Carney Burial Ground. I'll keep my eyes
                    open. I am also a member of the Pitt County Family Researchers and
                    Roger and Bill are wonderful sources for information. If the cemetery
                    is still out there, I am sure Bill will run across it one day. My
                    husbands materal grandmother was also from the Mcgowans. I have done
                    some research on them, but not as much as I would like. I'll look
                    through my Mcgowan stuff for any of these names.
                    Robin

                    >>> csinghworthington@... 06/06/03 11:09AM >>>

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jun 6, 2003
                      Dear Robin, Thanks so very much. I'm thinking, though,
                      that it must be somewhere on Carney property. Grandpa
                      Alp (Alfred) bought plots in Greenwood Cemetery in
                      1934 when Grandma Jennie died--June 1934. Before then,
                      McGowans were buried in cemeteries where other
                      relatives were buried(Cherry Hill, Brooks, etc.) and
                      in church cemeteries. However, I did not find Grandma
                      Jacky in Red Banks or Reedy Branch, and with no death
                      certificate and Greenwood incomplete on line, I
                      assumed that Grandpa had had her buried in Greenwood
                      and that I would run across it there one day by
                      walking through and searching each grave. Since
                      Grandma Jacky and her sister, Jennie L., were very
                      close, I am not surprised that Jacky was buried in her
                      sister's husband's family cemetery and even less
                      surprised when I realized that Carney's maternal line
                      was Hatton--the McGowan maternal line. McGowans liked
                      to be together in death as well as in life; that much
                      I did know and was surprised not to find all of them
                      together. The Hardee (my Hardee-McGowan-Worthington
                      line) maternal line was also McGowan, and McGowans and
                      Hardees are buried together, but I didn't find Jacky
                      with them either. People are so interesting! Later,

                      === message truncated ===

                      http://calendar.yahoo.com