Re: [genpcncfir] cousin marriages

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 3, 2003
      Please include the second one in her genealogy too. You are one of those
      natural writers who probably doesn't realize it. I taught gifted children
      for 13 years. You need to write the story of your mother and publish it.

      Paula Anne Baker
      paulabaker69@...
      Greene County NC

      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 3, 2003
        Dear Paula, Thank you so very much for taking time to
        compliment me on my writing about Mama. She was so
        inspiring to us that it's more as if she comes through
        the words by the force of her character. She truly
        left her mark on the four of us. Mama had a life-long
        love of history and had hoped some day to write a
        history of Pitt County. Without being sentimental
        about it, she loved Pitt County as much as anyone who
        proclaimed that love, but she preferred to show it by
        her actions rather than through telling people.
        Initially, I hated history because everybody else
        could read the book and come up with the very same
        answers I had. Somehow, too, my school history texts
        always left me wanting to know more than I was told.
        That's when I started reading biographies and began
        really to experience the lives about which I was
        reading. I had the same experience reading the old
        Eastern Reflectors and Daily Reflectors at the
        rootsweb site. That's when it came to me that what was
        missing was the day-by-day happenings behind the
        scenes that shaped the characters of the people who
        made history and that probably inspired those writers
        behind the pages of my history books. Genealogy was a
        natural outgrowth of my search for the people behind
        the history. For example, it was maddening to me to
        read a statement like "Texas seceded from the Union."
        I wanted to jump up and shout, "No, it didn't either.
        Texans seceded from the Union." Biographies gave me
        back the people. A second reason for my becoming
        interested in genealogy was the section of genetics in
        my high school biology book. I was intrigued by the
        musical Mozart family and began to wonder who I might
        be like in my own family and who other people were
        like and how could I find out. Whatever else, I guess
        I am more like the character (a fiction, of course)
        from The Wonder Years. I seem to ask questions that
        others rarely ask and to wonder about things where
        others hardly bat an eye. I used to think I must be
        naive! If I were not, then why do I always ask
        questions or misunderstand a word someone is using.
        For example, when I graduated from high school, and
        Mama was so sick from chemotherapy and asked if I
        would take a "permanent" job for a year until my
        stepfather got established in his medical practice, I
        was inwardly devastated while readily agreeing to her
        request. I thought that applying for a "permanent" job
        meant that I was committing myself for life even
        though Mama had said I could resign whenever I wished.
        I felt that to do so would be getting a job by telling
        a lie. I remember walking the streets alone as I went
        from job interview to job interview and feeling so sad
        and terribly betrayed at finding the world a far
        different place than I had always thought--thinking
        that I could never trust grown-ups because what they
        said was not what they meant. If it's not "permanent,"
        then why call it permanent. There must be a catch
        somewhere, and I was desperately afraid that it would
        catch up with me. It was like signing my life away,
        every dream I'd ever had, but I knew that Mama was
        very sick and might not live, and I could do no less
        for her and my younger brothers and sister than to
        make sure they were cared for. Though later than I had
        planned, I did get to go to college, but those years
        between high school and college made me appreciate the
        chance I got and determined to make the most of my
        wonderful opportunity. Later, Carol

        http://calendar.yahoo.com