Re: [genpcncfir] I just subscribe to the census part

  • Louise Champion
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 1, 2003
      This is Linda and my genealogy outlines. Linda's great grandfather
      (James), and my great grandfather (George) are brothers. They are
      sons of Arden Nichols.

      Direct Descendants of James Nelson Nichols
      1 William Nichols and Lydia Briley
      2 Arden Nichols and Edith Tyson
      3 James Nelson Nichols b: September 14, 1831
      in Nichols, Hemby Cemetery,
      Greenville, Pitt Co NC
      +Emily Louise Moore b: November 1811
      in Nichols, Hemby Cemetery,
      Greenville, Pitt Co NC Married: in Pitt, NC
      Age at death: 68 est.
      4 Richard Agustus Nichols (twin)
      b: April 02, 1862 in Pitt, NC
      Age at death: 62
      +Nellie Eugenia Joyner
      b: October 04, 1869 Married: in Oct 19,
      1890
      Age at death: 48
      5 Leroy Nichols b: October 28,
      1899 Age at death: 72
      +Martha Pippin Willoughby
      Married: July 19, 1922
      6 Martha Linda Nichols b:
      October 24, 1938

      Direct Descendants of Arden Nichols

      1 The Nichols
      2 William Nichols b: Abt. 1776 Age at death: 46 est.
      3 Arden Nichols Sr b: 1806 in Sometimes
      Arden shows born in 1803
      Age at death: 67 est.
      +Edith "Eddy" Tyson b: May 1802 in Pitt
      Co. N.Carolina (census says
      1803) Married: January 1830 in Pitt Co., NC
      Age at death: 65 est.
      4 George Nichols b: 1842 in Pitt Co. NC
      +Fannie L. Slaughter b: 1859 in 1880 &
      1930 cen Married: November
      06,1877 in Contentnea Township, Pitt, NC
      5 Jerry Robert Nichols b: March 20,
      1883 in Kinston, NC Age at
      death: 82
      + Mattie Irene Meeks b: March 08,
      1883 in Stokes, NC
      Age at death: 49
      6 Leroy Jerry Sr. Nichols
      b: December 31, 1910 in Dunn,
      NC Harnett Co. Age at death: 55
      +Annie Lee Tripp b: August
      05, 1918 in Winterville, NC
      Pitt Co. Married: January 14,
      1939 in Winterville, North
      Carolina Pitt Co.
      Age of death: 64
      7 Annie Louise Nichols
      b: January 24, 1947
      in Rehobeth,
      Lunenburg Co. Va.

      http://calendar.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 2, 2003
        Dear Louise, Thank you so very much. You have my
        Cousin Linda in your line. Nichols women married
        Slaughter and Worthington men, and I am related to the
        familly through those lines. I believe that
        Willoughby's are related to the Pippins, and Pippins
        married into the Cherry line--my maternal
        Cherry-McGowan families. They also married into the
        Cannon family, which I am related to both from the
        paternal Dail line and from the maternal Worthington
        line. I've just gotten off work (evening shift), and
        my notebook is in the car. I'll read through
        everything you've sent very closely and get back with
        you tomorrow on the connections I've found. For a
        beginning, I believe that your Fannie Slaughter was
        the daughter of Mary Polly Worthington and John
        Slaughter. Mary Polly Worthington was the daughter of
        my great, great, great, grandfather Spire
        Worthington--I think I'm right about the number of
        "greats" but could have left out one or two. Are you
        familiar with the Worthington line? Later, Carol
        --- Louise Champion <champright@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > Pitt, NC
        > Age at death: 68 est.
        > 4 Richard Agustus Nichols
        > (twin)
        > b: April 02, 1862 in Pitt, NC
        > Age at death: 62
        > +Nellie Eugenia Joyner
        > b: October 04, 1869 Married:
        > in Oct 19,
        > 1890
        > Age at death: 48
        > 5 Leroy Nichols b:
        > October 28,
        > 1899 Age at death:
        > 72
        > +Martha Pippin
        > Willoughby
        > Married: July 19,
        > 1922
        > 6 Martha Linda
        > Nichols b:
        > October 24,
        > 1938
        >

        > Direct Descendants of Arden Nichols
        >

        > 1 The Nichols
        > 2 William Nichols b: Abt. 1776 Age at
        > death: 46 est.
        > 3 Arden Nichols Sr b: 1806 in
        > Sometimes
        > Arden shows born in 1803
        > Age at death: 67 est.
        > +Edith "Eddy" Tyson b: May 1802 in
        > Pitt
        > Co. N.Carolina (census says
        > 1803) Married: January 1830 in Pitt
        > Co., NC
        > Age at death: 65 est.
        > 4 George Nichols b: 1842 in Pitt
        > Co. NC
        > +Fannie L. Slaughter b: 1859 in
        > 1880 &
        > 1930 cen Married: November
        > 06,1877 in Contentnea Township,
        > Pitt, NC
        > 5 Jerry Robert Nichols
        > b: March 20,
        > 1883 in Kinston, NC
        > Age at
        > death: 82
        > + Mattie Irene Meeks b:
        > March 08,
        > 1883 in Stokes, NC
        > Age at death: 49
        > 6 Leroy Jerry Sr.
        > Nichols
        > b: December 31,
        > 1910 in Dunn,
        > NC Harnett Co. Age
        > at death: 55
        > +Annie Lee Tripp
        > b: August
        > 05, 1918 in
        > Winterville, NC
        > Pitt Co.
        > Married: January 14,
        > 1939 in
        > Winterville, North
        > Carolina Pitt
        > Co.
        > Age of death: 64
        > 7 Annie Louise
        > Nichols
        > b: January
        > 24, 1947
        > in
        > Rehobeth,
        > Lunenburg
        > Co. Va.

        > Yahoo! Calendar - Free online calendar with sync to

        http://calendar.yahoo.com
      • Louise Champion
        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 3, 2003
          Hi Carol,

          You are so right about these families and more. I know the
          Worthingtons lived next door to my Cooper family and my mother knew
          them well. There are many small cemeteries on the old Nichols Road
          (It is the long road that goes through Bell Arthur, just next to
          Winterville--I think it is call Bell Arthur Road now). Robin
          Nichols lives on that road and I think her line is also James
          Nelson Nichols. She is very interested in her husband's family
          line (Nichols). I don't know how much you know, but Arden Nichols
          owned all of the land along that road in 1850. When his sons
          married he gave them each a farm along Nichols' Road. And guess
          what? There are Nichols cemeteries all along the Road and Robin
          has pictures of them. One of the grave yards is the Worthingtons.
          Most of the grave yards are inclosed in a iron fence and you can
          see them from the road. They are taken very good care of. Robin
          takes care of two herself. My sister, Faye, and I went to Bell
          Arthur/Winterville and just happened to be there during Sept 11,
          2001. We were there only two days, but we saw many of the graves
          that I am talking about. We also know where John Slaughter and
          Mary Worthington are buried. We saw it somewhere on the internet
          and we went looking for it.

          In September there was a field of corn (with under growth) there
          and you had to go through there to get to the grave. I had a flash
          light and started through (it was getting dark). I went about half
          way when the fellow came out and told us that there were rattle
          snakes in there. Boy did I come out fast. He said the best thing
          to do was to come back after harvest and the field would be
          cleared. Of course, I live in California and didn't get to come
          back. I just found the article below on the internet. It is
          greee-at!! Must go--talk later Louise

          While researching some Pitt County family members I happened across
          a family cemetery covered in thorny thickets in the middle of a
          tobacco field on Hwy 903 2.1 miles west of Winterville, NC. These
          are the names I was able to capture.

          Mary A.S. Slaughter
          Mar 14 1861 - Aug 27 1861

          Catherine Slaughter
          1858-1876

          John Slaughter
          1816-1886

          Rebecca Slaughter
          1866-1886

          Nancy S. Norris
          1848 - 1875

          These are the actual dates I removed from the tombstones, there are
          possibly more in the thorny thicket but I was able to get these
          names without sustaining too much injury.

          There is a similar listing of Slaughters that has now been proven
          to be incomplete compared to what I found. There is also a (DALE)
          family cemetery across the road from the Slaughter Cemetery that is
          also in the middle of the tobacco fields. I suggest all researchers
          plan fall trips to Pitt County for the cemetery searches because
          the tobacco fields seems to be where these small family cemeteries
          are at. In the middle of the 3 family home sites I went to the
          other day all 3 had fresh plowed fields exposing the cemeteries
          which were tall thorn covered green area's that were 100%
          surrounded by summer tobacco which would hide them during the
          summer months making access impossible. October seems to be the
          tobacco harvest thereby making the searches easier. The (SHIVERS)
          cemetery at Winterville information is correct as posted except
          that the cemetery is on the Shivers home site and is still owned by
          Shivers.

          James Shivers
          Shivers Family Researcher
          shivers@...

          Further lookups and information can be bargained,purchased or
          beaten out of me.

          http://calendar.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 3, 2003
            Dear Louise, I was planning to do a summer cemetery
            sleuthing tour. We lived on the County Home Road.
            Linda is from the Bell Arthur area and attended
            Winterville School, where she met my cousin Alfred Poe
            Worthington, Jr. They were classmates. Four years
            older than I, he was always my hero, so no wonder he
            swept Linda off her feet! Yes, my Dail descendants are
            also buried in the area, and Worthingtons, like the
            Nichols, gave land to their children either when they
            married or when they turned twenty-one, whichever came
            first. I'll get back with you later. Carol

            === message truncated ===

            http://calendar.yahoo.com
          • Robin Nichols
            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 4, 2003
              Hi Carol and Louise,

              I have been reading your emails back and forth on the Nichols line and thought I would jump in. My husband is a descendant of Ardens son Silas (James brother). I have been trying to find as many cousins from Ardens various descendants. Carol, you are the first I have found from James' line. If you are in my area (Bell Arthur) and want a tour of the numerous Nichols cemeteries I will be glad to take you around. Send me a private email and I will give you my phone number. James and Emily as well as several of their children and grandchildren are buried on/near our farm. I will be glad to share my Nichols information with you. Louise I have not forgotten about those pictures you want.

              Robin

              nicholra@...
              Robin Avery Nichols
              Main surnames AVERY, BYRD, SASSER, DUDLEY, FREEMAN
              NICHOLS, TRIPP, MCGOWAN, EVANS, WEST, HAYNES +++

              >>> champright@... 06/03/03 06:11PM >>>

              Click here for current information on Pitt County Historical Society: http://www.pittcountyhistoricalsociety.com/

              Chronicles of Pitt Co Order Form: http://www.usgennet.org/usa/nc/county/pitt/Chronicles%20Flyer%20Feb03.htm

              GenealogyPITT Co NC Friends In

              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 4, 2003
                Dear Robin, Fantastic! The biggest gap in my family
                information is the place of burial. Another cousin,
                Trish Worthington Cobb, and I spend every spare minute
                when we get together a couple of times a year going to
                cemeteries and taking pictures of headstones--Trish is
                the photographer: she takes the pictures, and I write
                out the information. Actually to see my family
                members' graves is like having my family with me. I
                probably feel more strongly than some of our relatives
                because I did not have the opportunity of even knowing
                my generation of relatives in so many cases and never
                had the chance to grow up with any of them. It's like
                being an orphan and finally realizing that I have an
                incredible family whose lives have spanned almost the
                entire history of our country. I'll get an email off
                to you as soon as I finish deleting my 200+ overnight
                bulk mail measures so that I can restore my space!
                Thanks so very much, Carol

                === message truncated ===

                http://calendar.yahoo.com
              • Louise Champion
                Message 7 of 19 , Jun 5, 2003
                  Hi Robin,

                  This is great!! A new cousin just around the corner, but I think
                  it is Linda that is the descendent that lives around the corner
                  from you. The "James Nelson Nichols house" is in the "Chronicles
                  of Pitt Co." Many of Arden's sons could build a house. I wonder
                  if James built the house in the book.

                  You should go down and see that house on Nichols Road that I was
                  telling you about. It is real cute. It looks like it was built
                  about the same time as the one in the book. The road is just off
                  of Bell Arthur Rd and it is called Nichols Rd. Just behind that
                  house (about 50 ft) is a Strickland cemetery (Jeremiah Nichols b.
                  1871) is also there. Jeremiah was one of Arden's sons also. My
                  family (George Nichols) would come over to visit you aunt Christina
                  (Little Bit) and all of the Nichols families there. They knew Bell
                  Arthur very well. But George never lived there after he got
                  married. Louise

                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 5, 2003
                    Louise,
                    My husband's grandparents use to own it. I'll have to ask my father-in-law about previous owners. I have a picture of how it looked say over 30 years ago. It has had a lot of remodeling done to it over the years. The old Nichols two story which is on the same road has also had a lot of remodeling. I have not found an old picture of it yet. Aunt Dot Nichols lives there now, maybe she has an old picture of it. It was originally owned by Robert Nelson Nichols (Silas Nichols son). Back on Bell Arthur Road (formerly Nichols Rd.) there is another Nichols house. I think there is an old picture of it "Chronicles of Pitt Co." My father-in-law owns the farm around it and he and my brother-in-law had it remodeled and my brother-in-law still lives there. There use to be a two story (Nichols) house beside my house, but a tornado in the early 70's destroyed it. This house I think belonged to Heber Leon Nichols (Thomas Arden Nichols son). Thomas and his first wife Emily and two of there children are buried across the road.

                    Robin

                    >>> champright@... 06/05/03 10:23AM >>>

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jun 6, 2003
                      Dear Robin, Hi! One of our members sent me yesterday a
                      copy of my great grandmother's death certificate from
                      the Pitt County Courthouse. The death certificate says
                      that she was buried in the Robert Carney Burial
                      Ground. Jacky Ann McGowan died June 18, 1925 at the
                      age of 75. The death certifcate filled out by my
                      grandfather,son-in-law of Jacky Ann, noted also that
                      Jacky Ann was a widow. I've never been able to find
                      out more than that her consort was a cousin, William
                      McGowan. Jacky had at least four cousins named William
                      Mcgowan. As far as I can find all but William George
                      McGowan died before 1920--I'm guessing here, though,
                      because I was relying on census records. Roger
                      Kammerer from the Pitt County Family Researchers let
                      me copy some McGowan records he had, and that
                      informant said that William K. [Kinsey] McGowan never
                      married. Of course, William Kinsey, son of William W.
                      and Martha Ann Moore, was born around 1852, and I
                      doubt that Roger's informant in the late 1999's knew
                      this William personally. He may have the facts
                      correct, or he may not have known if this William
                      married because this William may have chosen not to
                      reveal the fact. One of my cousins wrote that Latter
                      Day Saint records show that this William was indeed
                      the William who was Jacky Ann McGowan's husband. I'm
                      hoping that Jacky's tombstone might tell me more. Her
                      death certificate did not give either her parents'
                      names or the name of her deceased husband. Daughter
                      Jennie Secession McGowan gave her father's name upon
                      her marriage only as William McGowan. I was wondering
                      if you or any of our members has heard of the Robert
                      Carney Burial Ground or cemetery. It is not online,
                      and Bill Kittrell (also a member of the Pitt County
                      Family Researchers) says he is not familiar with it
                      but will look into it. The 1850 census shows Robert H.
                      Carney and Elizabeth "Betsy" Hatton as the parents of
                      Robert Carney who married Jennie L. McGowan, sister of
                      Jacky Ann McGowan. Martin Moore, I see from the 1850
                      census, was married to Cynthia Hatton. Martin Moore
                      was the father of Perlina [Paulina] Moore, mother of
                      Jennie L. and Jacky Ann McGowan. Jacky's daughter
                      Jennie Secession McGowan was named for her Aunt
                      Jennie--I've seen Jennie's name spelled "Jeanett," but
                      Mama said it was Jennie. The Carneys lived in
                      Greenville Township North of the Tar River. According
                      to some of my relatives, Jennie grew up in the
                      Pactolus Area; she attended Parker's Chapel Church. As
                      for the Robert Carney Burial Ground, I do not know if
                      it was simply a family cemetery located on the family
                      property as many such cemeteries were or if it was on
                      land given by the family for a cemetery, as Cherry
                      Hill was. I also do not know if this cemetery is
                      conveniently included in one of the books at Joyner
                      Library on Pitt County Cemeteries. When I was there
                      last month, I had never even heard of the Carney
                      cemetery, so of course I didn't look it up. I had
                      assumed that most of my relatives were buried in
                      Greenwood because it was the cemetery used by my
                      immediate family until the death of my Uncle Poe
                      Worthington in 1968. Aunt Doris did not know that
                      Grandpa Alfred (1871) had bought six cemetery plots in
                      Greenwood, intending three of them for his children,
                      so he was buried in Pinewood. Like a poor soul on "Who
                      Wants to be a Millionnaire," I am now polling the
                      audience. Thanks for any information on this cemetery
                      or on William McGowan obituaries. Later, Carol

                      === message truncated ===

                      http://calendar.yahoo.com
                    • Robin Nichols
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jun 6, 2003
                        Carol,
                        I have not heard of the Robert Carney Burial Ground. I'll keep my eyes
                        open. I am also a member of the Pitt County Family Researchers and
                        Roger and Bill are wonderful sources for information. If the cemetery
                        is still out there, I am sure Bill will run across it one day. My
                        husbands materal grandmother was also from the Mcgowans. I have done
                        some research on them, but not as much as I would like. I'll look
                        through my Mcgowan stuff for any of these names.
                        Robin

                        >>> csinghworthington@... 06/06/03 11:09AM >>>

                        Message 11 of 19 , Jun 6, 2003
                          Dear Robin, Thanks so very much. I'm thinking, though,
                          that it must be somewhere on Carney property. Grandpa
                          Alp (Alfred) bought plots in Greenwood Cemetery in
                          1934 when Grandma Jennie died--June 1934. Before then,
                          McGowans were buried in cemeteries where other
                          relatives were buried(Cherry Hill, Brooks, etc.) and
                          in church cemeteries. However, I did not find Grandma
                          Jacky in Red Banks or Reedy Branch, and with no death
                          certificate and Greenwood incomplete on line, I
                          assumed that Grandpa had had her buried in Greenwood
                          and that I would run across it there one day by
                          walking through and searching each grave. Since
                          Grandma Jacky and her sister, Jennie L., were very
                          close, I am not surprised that Jacky was buried in her
                          sister's husband's family cemetery and even less
                          surprised when I realized that Carney's maternal line
                          was Hatton--the McGowan maternal line. McGowans liked
                          to be together in death as well as in life; that much
                          I did know and was surprised not to find all of them
                          together. The Hardee (my Hardee-McGowan-Worthington
                          line) maternal line was also McGowan, and McGowans and
                          Hardees are buried together, but I didn't find Jacky
                          with them either. People are so interesting! Later,

                          === message truncated ===

                          http://calendar.yahoo.com