Fw: Re: COX-OAKLEY Book * Fran COBB-Arnold

    Message 1 of 2 , May 6, 2003
      Hello Group...
      Another member wanted this information again so I am reposting the
      below re:
      COX-OAKLEY Book by Arleta Wood. The book is still available and anyone
      interested,
      please contact Arleta personally.
      I have a copy and anyone researching COX or OAKLEY's will find a
      tremendous
      amount of documented family information.
      Jewelle

      jewellebaker@...
      jewelle@...
      Main SURNAMES:
      BAKER; CANNON; COX; JACKSON; McGLOHON's (all sp's);
      WINGATE

      GenealogyPITT Co NC Friends In Research
      (serving all Eastern/Coastal NC Counties)

      eMail Scan by NAV & Certified Virus Free
      Message 2 of 2 , May 7, 2003
        Dear Jewelle, Along the lines of items that might be
        of interest to some of our membership, there was a
        program on PBS in Richmond, Virginia last week that
        comes on each weekend (either Saturday or Sunday, I
        believe) with the word "Sequence" in its title. It
        focuses on genetics, but the material is presented so
        that everybody can understand it. Last weekend the
        program covered genealogical applications to genetics.
        A group of geneticists studying genetic diseases like
        Cystic Fibroses, Crutchfield Jacobs, and Sickle Cell
        Anemia, and even cancer, decided to do their research
        in Iceland on Icelandics because the population there
        is predominantly homogenous, and the people have kept
        family records going back for several centuries--in
        other words, everyone knows exactly who he is and who
        everybody else is, too! The geneticists have found
        that they can pinpoint the gene for many inherited
        diseases and that they can even do the same for
        certain types of cancer. These same geneticists have
        also discovered that they can through these
        genealogical records predict the probability of one of
        these Islanders coming down or passing on one or
        another of these diseases. PBS programs can always be
        ordered. The web is http://www.PBS.org Right now,
        these geneticists have discovered that they can use
        the HIV virus to treat some genetic diseases, like
        Sickle Cell, by genetically altering the ability of
        the HIV virus to reproduce itself. This group is now
        working on using the HIV virus to treat other
        diseases, among them Crohn's Disease. Diabetes is
        another disease under investigation by these
        geneticists. For more information, people can access
        the PBS website. Carol

        http://search.yahoo.com