1861 Ltr to Col.TEW Fort Macon

    Message 1 of 1 , May 6 4:00 PM
      Hello Group,
      Below is 1861 correspondence received by Co. TEW, courtesy of
      Guy Potts and RootsWeb:
      http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/nc/beaufort/letters/tew01.txt

      Those of you planning your vacation to include the beautiful beaches of
      Bogue Banks, NC should definitely include a side trip to the refurbished
      Fort Macon, Atlantic Beach, NC located across Bogue Sound from
      Morehead City. Each year it gets better.... A walk back into our history!
      ...... we've had our cottage at Atlantic Beach for many years and have
      enjoyed watching Fort Macon 'come to life' again. During World War II
      it was manned for military purposes, some of the Bunkers can still be
      seen along the coast. They use to have Easter SunRise Services at
      Fort Macon .... with local choirs participating... awesome sight and sounds! :

      Beaufort County, NC - Letters

      William & Emmet Robinson Collection
      Johnston County Heritage Center
      Reference Box, P.C.1.1.
      Document has written at the bottom
      George Ragsdale Collection

      Executive Department
      Raleigh Apr 20th 1861
      Col. C.C. Tew
      County Fort Macon
      Sir,

      You are placed in chief command of Fort Macon, Beaufort
      Harbor and all points and places in its vicinity, all guns and munitions
      of war and supplies of every description arriving at the Harbor will be
      taken charge of by you. You will on no account allow any works to be
      thrown up or guard to be posted about the Harbor unless by your direction.
      You will not allow any troops to remain in or near Fort Macon who have
      not been ordered out by the Commander in-chief, or who fail to report
      themselves to you and submit to your orders.
      After due notice to all persons
      infringing these orders and who
      {Seal} may refuse to desist, you will
      have them arrested and placed
      in close confinement until further
      orders.
      By order of the Commander in Chief
      J. F. Hoke
      Adjutant General

      USGENWEB NOTICE: In keeping with our policy of providing free information
      on the Internet, data may be used by non-commercial entities, as long as
      this message remains on all copied material. The electronic pages may NOT
      be reproduced in any format for profit or for presentation by other persons
      or organizations. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material
      for purposes other than stated above must obtain the written consent of the
      file contributor, and contact the listed USGenWeb archivist with proof of
      this consent. The submitter has given permission to the USGenWeb Archives
      to store the file permanently for free access.

      File contributed for use in USGenWeb Archives by
      Guy Potts gpotts1@...

      jewellebaker@...
      jewelle@...
      Main SURNAMES;
      CANNON; COX; JACKSON; McLAWHORN (all sp); WINGATE ++++