Mills (Cox?) family in Chicod

  • rlnagle
    Message 1 of 8 , May 6, 2003
      Hello everyone, I am a new member of your list and I hope I will
      break through my brick wall with your help!

      I believe that my g-grandfather Mills was from Chicod, Pitt, NC -
      this is the ONLY Thomas H. Mills (or variation) born around 1876
      found on the 1880 census - his actual birth date was 6 SEP 1876...

      Does anyone recognize this family?

      Nasby MILLS Self M Male W 38 NC Farmer NC NC
      Sarah E. MILLS Wife M Female W 28 NC HouseKeeper NC NC
      Martha J. MILLS Dau S Female W 5 NC NC NC
      Thoams H. MILLS Son S Male W 3 NC NC NC
      William H. MILLS Other S Male W 2 NC NC NC
      Clemey MILLS Other S Female W 13 NC Domestic LaborerNC NC
      Source Information (LDS website):
      Census Place Chicoa, Pitt, North Carolina
      Family History Library Film 1254977
      NA Film Number T9-0977
      Page Number 274C

      I am trying to verify that this Thomas H [Haywood] Mills is my great
      grandfather. With the loss of the 1890 census, I only have this
      census to work with to find his family...by 1900, he was married to
      Alice Lee Graves, living in Moultrie, Colquitt, GA.

      His (Florida) death certificate "informant" was not a family member
      and I believe that the parents listed on the DC were not correct:
      Father-Arch Mills, born in NC
      Mother-Emma, born in NC
      Thomas Haywood's birthplace was listed as Wilmington, NC

      I tried to search every possibility of an Arch and Emma Mills on the
      1880 census and did not find a match in the entire US.

      I am also posting a photograph of J.H. Mills taken in Moultrie, GA
      (I don't know how to identify the age of the photograph). I have
      not been able to identify her and I wonder if she could actually be
      the Martha J. Mills listed on the above census. I'd love to be able
      to give her a "real" name!

      I hope someone will recognize this family. Thank you in advance for
      taking the time to read this!

      Rebecca Nagle
    • L D Smith
      Message 2 of 8 , May 6, 2003
        any information on his parents/place of birth on his marriage
        certificate/marriage register?

        "dream like you will live forever; live as though you may die tomorrow."

        Message 3 of 8 , May 6, 2003
          I am still trying to locate their marriage certificate/location. I
          know from the 1900 census that they were married 2 years at the time
          the census was taken. Colquitt Co., GA does not have a record of
          their marriage.

          I have Thomas' WWI draft registration and it did not list the
          parents names (and apparently he does not have a SSN).

          Thank you for the suggestion and I will keep trying!

          Message 4 of 8 , May 6, 2003
            Hi! I know Nasby. Let me check my source and get right
            back to you. Carol

            http://search.yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 8 , May 6, 2003
              Hi again. I checked http://www.rootsweb.com/~ncpcfr
              website of the Pitt Co. Family Researchers and
              Ancestry.com Neither of these had your Nasby. You
              might go on line at http://www.rootsweb.com/~ncpcfr
              and look through the resources which include cemetery
              records, land records, and the Eastern and Daily
              Reflector Index put together by Roger Kammerer.
              There's a good chance you'll find your answers there.
              The Index goes from 1882 until 1906 There are several
              generations giving Nasby Mills on Ancestry.com but not
              your Nasby. The name is common in Pitt, having
              apparently been passed down through many generations.
              You might also check the Brides Index compiled by
              Levis Churchill; I located it at Sheppard Library in
              Greenville. It was compiled in 2002. You can check
              online with The Joyner Library, N.C. Archives at East
              Carolina University going through the rootsweb site.
              You can check with Maurice York, the librarian, about
              the book. You can get Joyner Library holdings sent to
              you through interlibrary loan from your public
              library. Sorry I could not be more helpful at this
              time. Carol

              http://search.yahoo.com
            • rlnagle
              Message 6 of 8 , May 6, 2003
                I am going crazy with all of the Nasby Mills!

                Does anyone recognize this family of Mills found on the 1850 that
                contains a Nasby of the right age and possible father of my Thomas
                Haywood?

                1850 Census,
                (Tafts) Haddock's Dist., Pitt, NC, Roll M32-641;
                image 44 of 53 on ancestry.com;
                page 42, lines 37-43

                Mills, Luke, age 48
                Mills, Sydney (Brooks?), age 50
                Mills, Ann A., age 15
                Mills, James (S. or H.?), age 13
                Mills, Gatsey G.?, age 12
                Mills, William (S. or A.?), age 9
                Mills, Nasby, age 7

                I've seen part of this family on ancestry.com, but nothing
                conclusive for the lineage of this Nasby...I think I'm the only one
                out here who is searching or trying to document this family!!!

                As much as I'd hate hearing it, even a "your barking up the wrong
                tree" would help at this point by eliminating potentials...

                Thanks everyone for helping - I live in metro Atlanta and my
                resources are limited.

                Rebecca

                --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, Carol Singh

              • feonadorf@aol.com
                Message 7 of 8 , May 6, 2003
                  I think your Thomas H Mills, was the son of Nasby and Sarah Elizabeth Cox
                  Mills, making him the grandchild of Luke B and Sydney Brooks Mills.

                  Lisa

                • L D Smith
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 6, 2003
                    if you give me his name and date of birth i can find his ssn for you if he
                    had one. a lot of them are NOT listed in death indexes, etc.
                    david

                    "dream like you will live forever; live as though you may die tomorrow."

                    From: "rlnagle" <rlnagle@...>
                    To: genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com
                    Subject: [genpcncfir] Re: Mills (Cox?) family in Chicod
                    Date: Tue, 06 May 2003 18:27:20 -0000