Re: Newspaper item

  • stormy gates
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 5, 2003
      Latest Developments
      50 Million Historical Documents Hit Web
      (AP) - Researchers, genealogists and the plain curious
      can now use the Internet to check more than 50 million
      historical records at the National Archives, from
      Civil War battles to family immigration files. Before
      the system became available, people had to either
      visit the Archives and spend hours combing through
      documents or request the files by phone and pay to
      have them mailed. "Now, people can pull these
      electronic records at their own convenience," said
      Michael Carlson, electronic and special media records
      director for the archives. "It's totally self-service
      from your desktop." More ...
      Access to Archival Databases System (NARA)
      Prologue - NARA magazine | Genealogy web sites |
      Message board

      News Stories
      - 50 Million Historical Documents Hit Web -
      Associated Press (Apr 4, 2003)

      http://www.archives.gov/aad

      What you think of this?

      Alex

      =====
      Alexandria Wainwright Wessendorf

      Searching: Wainwrights, Lewis', Dixon, Cooper's, Blockers, Alvarez', Reddish's, Register's, Andrews, Ritch's, Walker's, Wise's, Oliver's, Hinson's, Wessendorf's, Sorensen's, McDonald's, Kile's, Cates

      http://tax.yahoo.com
    • Tracy Stancil/mail.hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 5, 2003
        Hey Alex,
        Thanks for sharing. I hadn't heard about this. I think it's great, but the site must be overwhelmed right now. I can't get it to open after several tries.
        Tracy
[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Click here for current information on Pitt County Historical Society: http://www.pittcountyhistoricalsociety.com/

        Chronicles of Pitt Co Order Form: http://www.usgennet.org/usa/nc/county/pitt/Chronicles%20Flyer%20Feb03.htm