McLAWHORN

  • cherylannjones@juno.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 25, 2003
      Does anyone in this group have a picture or know what the
      McGLAWHORN/McLAWHORN tartan looks like? I would like to make a shawl or
      a skirt for my mother for Christmas out of her tartan.

      Cheryl

      Only $9.95 per month!
      Visit www.juno.com
    • lcvarner
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 25, 2003
        Copy of a message posted by John Cheek on Ancestry Message Board for
        McLawhorn

        Beth,

        I grew up in Pitt County, NC and am related
        to the McLawhorns. From what I understand
        the name is an American name. There is no
        European origin. Two brothers came from
        Scotland in the 1790's and changed their
        names to McGlohon for some unknown reason.
        The name may have come from McLaughlin.
        They settled in Pitt County, which is why
        there are so many McLawhorn's in the county.
        There are at least six different spellings
        of the name that I am aware of. In fact I
        had an aunt that had brothers and sisters
        who spelled their last names differently.
        One reason for the many spellings is that most
        people could not read and write a hundred or
        more years ago. People could not spell their
        last names. It was spelled for them depending
        on who wrote it down or how they decided how it
        would be spelled once they learned to write.
        Until the Social Security System, it was very
        easy to change the spelling of your name.
        There is a McLawhorn family cemetary near the
        town of Winterville on land that used to be
        owned by the McLawhorns. I believe this is
        the first land owned by one of the McLawhorn
        brothers who came from Scotland. It was purchased
        in the early 1800's and was lost by the family
        during the great depression. The cemetary is
        still maintained by family members. There is
        also a McLawhorn family reunion at Reedy Branch
        Free Will Baptist Church outside of Winterville
        every other year. The next reunion will be either
        in late April or early May of 2001. One of
        the family members has compiled an extensive
        geneological record of the family and has copies
        for sale.

        --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, cherylannjones@j... wrote:
        > Does anyone in this group have a picture or know what the
        > McGLAWHORN/McLAWHORN tartan looks like? I would like to make a
        shawl or
        > a skirt for my mother for Christmas out of her tartan.
        >

        > Cheryl

        > Only $9.95 per month!
        > Visit www.juno.com
      • Charlynn Helms
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 25, 2003
          I found a board at cousin connect where you may be able to gat some help:
          http://www.cousinconnect.com/p/a/0/s/MCLAWHORN

          From one web site :

          My surname variants are as follows:
          McGlohon,Glohon,Miglohon,MeGlohon,McLawhorn,McGlawhorn,McGlauhon and abot
          sixty other spellings including the variant that a lot of us have used since
          the 1900 census.McGlothern. Wondered if anyone might have any ideas if any
          of these variants are familiar to any of the clans.With the McGlohon sunrame
          spelling I can get to about 1790 in Pitt County ,NC. Nothing prior to
          that.Hope someone can help.
          http://www.geoghegan.org/bbs/messages/226.html
          http://www.geoghegan.org/clan/

          > Does anyone in this group have a picture or know what the
          > McGLAWHORN/McLAWHORN tartan looks like? I would like to make a shawl or
          > a skirt for my mother for Christmas out of her tartan.

          > Cheryl
        • Rhet Wilkinson
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 26, 2003
            I am sorry it took me so long to get this to you, but I had to locate where I had put this information. There is a company in Scotland who deals in tartans. You can go on line and request information about different tartans from them. their web site is www.mccalls.co.uk. Their email address is sales@... Good luck. Rhet
            Does anyone in this group have a picture or know what the
            McGLAWHORN/McLAWHORN tartan looks like? I would like to make a shawl or
            a skirt for my mother for Christmas out of her tartan.

            Cheryl

            Only $9.95 per month!
            Visit www.juno.com

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Click here for current information on Pitt County Historical Society: http://www.pittcountyhistoricalsociety.com/

            Chronicles of Pitt Co Order Form: http://www.usgennet.org/usa/nc/county/pitt/Chronicles%20Flyer%20Feb03.htm

            GenealogyPITT Co NC Friends In

          • cherylannjones@juno.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 26, 2003
              Thank you so much for the website. I was unable to locate the tartan
              online, but have contacted them to see if I can get a pix or a
              description.

              I appreciate the efforts of everyone for me.

              Cheryl

              Only $9.95 per month!
              Visit www.juno.com