Re: [genpcncfir] Grizzard Surname

  • Janie Ellison
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 1, 2003
      Betty,

      Thank you for responding to my message.

      On the 1870 Pitt County census, page 29, there lists John, 42; Sarah, 27;
      Mary, 9; Elizabeth, 6; William A., 4; Mary, 30, domestic ser.; John, 9;
      Prissy A., 12, and Wiliam, 1. I believe the Mary, age 30, to be Mary
      Grizzard, who possibly took on the Pollard last name. Her daughter, Prissy
      A., is 12 on this 1870 census; but on the 1880 census on page 402B, she is
      Priscilla Simmons, age 19.

      Oour family tradition has it that Mary Grizzard, a Native American Indian,
      married a Pollard and had Priscilla and at least one son my father called
      "Uncle Tom Pollard", a FWB preacher in NC. The ages and name is close
      enough for me to believe this Mary, b. abt. 1840, is Mary Grizzard
      (Simmons?) living in the Pollard household. The 1880 census shows Sarah,
      wife to John Pollard (she is also listed on 1870 census) and their three
      children WITHOUT Mary and her children.

      Do you have any Mary Grizzards in your notes that would confirm any of this?
      Thank you for checking on this for me.

      Thank you.

      Janie (Harris) Ellison
      ellisonj7@...
      ellisonj7@...
      HARRIS, HADDOCK, SIMMONS, PARAMORE, POLLARD, ELKS, BEDDARD

      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 2, 2003
        One note about Janie's posting. James Baker b. abt. 1804 who lived in
        Greene Co married Priscilla Ann Harriet Darden, we believe. The Prissy A.
        name could be coincidence, though. The Bakers tie in with the Grizzards in
        several marriages.

        Paula Anne Baker
        paulabaker69@...
        Greene County NC

      • Rea11bak2gen@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 2, 2003
          ellisonj7@... writes:

          > Betty,
          >
          > Thank you for responding to my message.
          >
          > On the 1870 Pitt County census, page 29, there lists John, 42; Sarah, 27;
          > Mary, 9; Elizabeth, 6; William A., 4; Mary, 30, domestic ser.; John, 9;
          > Prissy A., 12, and Wiliam, 1. I believe the Mary, age 30, to be Mary
          > Grizzard, who possibly took on the Pollard last name. Her daughter, Prissy
          > A., is 12 on this 1870 census; but on the 1880 census on page 402B, she is
          > Priscilla Simmons, age 19.
          >
          > Oour family tradition has it that Mary Grizzard, a Native American Indian,
          > married a Pollard and had Priscilla and at least one son my father called
          > "Uncle Tom Pollard", a FWB preacher in NC. The ages and name is close
          > enough for me to believe this Mary, b. abt. 1840, is Mary Grizzard
          > (Simmons?) living in the Pollard household. The 1880 census shows Sarah,
          > wife to John Pollard (she is also listed on 1870 census) and their three
          > children WITHOUT Mary and her children.
          >
          > Do you have any Mary Grizzards in your notes that would confirm any of
          > this?
          > Thank you for checking on this for me.
          >
          > Thank you.
          >
          > Janie (Harris) Ellison

          Janie, I have two Mary Grizzards, one was a Grizzard and the other married a
          Grizzard. It looks more like the Mary that married Thomas Grizzard as they
          had a female child with the initals of P.A. and Thomas died in the Civil War
          on 08 May 1862 in Camp Magnum, NC. She would have been a Grizzard but only by
          marriage. I believe this Mary to be Mary Baker.because in the 1860 Census
          they had a Mary Baker age 62 living in the household with them. This is just
          a hunch no prove.

          Here is the Census entries:

          Greene Co. 1850
          Jesse Grizzard B. 1796