Re: [genpcncfir] Grizzard Surname

  • Rea11bak2gen@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 31, 2003
      In a message dated 1/31/03 8:00:37 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      ellisonj7@... writes:

      > Betty:
      >
      > I see you are researching the GRIZZARD surname. Do you by chance
      > have a Mary GRIZZARD in your notes? From the information I have, I
      > believe the Mary living with family of John Pollard on the 1870 Pitt
      > County census to be the mother of Priscilla Pollard, my ggrandmother.
      >
      > I'd be interested in information you might have on the GRIZZARD
      > family.
      >
      > Thanks you.
      >
      > Janie Ellison
      > ellisonj7@...
      > ellisonj7@...

      Janie could you give me just a little more information on the Mary, such as
      age in 1870 census. Let me check my records and I will post the Marys I have
      in them. From memory I am thinking there maybe two or three. Could be
      thinking of the Bakers as they tie in close with my Grizzards.
      Betty Reason
      Edgecombe Genealogical Society
      Surnames: Baker, Grizzard, Hobbs, Webb, Pittman, Walston, Harrell
      Surnames: Reason, Cook, Mooring, Teachey, Carraway.

      Their seed shall remain forever and their glory shall not be blotted out.
      Their bodies may be buried in peace, but their names liveth forevermore.

    • Janie Ellison
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 1 5:51 AM
        Betty,

        Thank you for responding to my message.

        On the 1870 Pitt County census, page 29, there lists John, 42; Sarah, 27;
        Mary, 9; Elizabeth, 6; William A., 4; Mary, 30, domestic ser.; John, 9;
        Prissy A., 12, and Wiliam, 1. I believe the Mary, age 30, to be Mary
        Grizzard, who possibly took on the Pollard last name. Her daughter, Prissy
        A., is 12 on this 1870 census; but on the 1880 census on page 402B, she is
        Priscilla Simmons, age 19.

        Oour family tradition has it that Mary Grizzard, a Native American Indian,
        married a Pollard and had Priscilla and at least one son my father called
        "Uncle Tom Pollard", a FWB preacher in NC. The ages and name is close
        enough for me to believe this Mary, b. abt. 1840, is Mary Grizzard
        (Simmons?) living in the Pollard household. The 1880 census shows Sarah,
        wife to John Pollard (she is also listed on 1870 census) and their three
        children WITHOUT Mary and her children.

        Do you have any Mary Grizzards in your notes that would confirm any of this?
        Thank you for checking on this for me.

        Thank you.

        Janie (Harris) Ellison
        ellisonj7@...
        ellisonj7@...
        HARRIS, HADDOCK, SIMMONS, PARAMORE, POLLARD, ELKS, BEDDARD

        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 2 9:56 AM
          One note about Janie's posting. James Baker b. abt. 1804 who lived in
          Greene Co married Priscilla Ann Harriet Darden, we believe. The Prissy A.
          name could be coincidence, though. The Bakers tie in with the Grizzards in
          several marriages.

          Paula Anne Baker
          paulabaker69@...
          Greene County NC

          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 2 5:51 PM
            ellisonj7@... writes:

            > Betty,
            >
            > Thank you for responding to my message.
            >
            > On the 1870 Pitt County census, page 29, there lists John, 42; Sarah, 27;
            > Mary, 9; Elizabeth, 6; William A., 4; Mary, 30, domestic ser.; John, 9;
            > Prissy A., 12, and Wiliam, 1. I believe the Mary, age 30, to be Mary
            > Grizzard, who possibly took on the Pollard last name. Her daughter, Prissy
            > A., is 12 on this 1870 census; but on the 1880 census on page 402B, she is
            > Priscilla Simmons, age 19.
            >
            > Oour family tradition has it that Mary Grizzard, a Native American Indian,
            > married a Pollard and had Priscilla and at least one son my father called
            > "Uncle Tom Pollard", a FWB preacher in NC. The ages and name is close
            > enough for me to believe this Mary, b. abt. 1840, is Mary Grizzard
            > (Simmons?) living in the Pollard household. The 1880 census shows Sarah,
            > wife to John Pollard (she is also listed on 1870 census) and their three
            > children WITHOUT Mary and her children.
            >
            > Do you have any Mary Grizzards in your notes that would confirm any of
            > this?
            > Thank you for checking on this for me.
            >
            > Thank you.
            >
            > Janie (Harris) Ellison

            Janie, I have two Mary Grizzards, one was a Grizzard and the other married a
            Grizzard. It looks more like the Mary that married Thomas Grizzard as they
            had a female child with the initals of P.A. and Thomas died in the Civil War
            on 08 May 1862 in Camp Magnum, NC. She would have been a Grizzard but only by
            marriage. I believe this Mary to be Mary Baker.because in the 1860 Census
            they had a Mary Baker age 62 living in the household with them. This is just
            a hunch no prove.

            Here is the Census entries:

            Greene Co. 1850
            Jesse Grizzard B. 1796