FSGS notes on dismantling FS Library & Archives

    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 28, 2003
      Hello Group,
      This was sent to me to post for your information FYI ... It's truly scary
      for any and all genealogist. Read on and follow your own inclinations:
      Jewelle

      jewellebaker@...
      jewelle@...
      Main SURNAMES;
      CANNON; COX; JACKSON; McLAWHORN (all sp); WINGATE ++++

      The Florida State Genealogical Society board has unanimously approved
      joining a coalition to oppose Governor Bush's proposed budget regarding the
      dismantling of the Florida State Library and Archives. The coalition
      currently consists of the following organizations:
      * Florida Historical Society
      * Florida Archaeological Council
      * Florida Anthropological Society
      * Florida Trust for Historic Preservation
      * Florida Association of Museums

      We are asking for help of all genealogists, historians and researchers
      throughout the U.S. If this can happen in our state, it can happen in any
      state. Please write, email, or fax the Florida legislators. Make our
      legislators aware of this serious error that they are about to commit. We
      cannot lose Florida's treasures. Send letters, faxes and e-mails to:
      Governor Bush, The Capitol,
      Tallahassee, FL 32399-0001,
      Telephone: (850) 488-4441, FAX (850) 487-080
      E-mail: jeb.bush@... or fl_governor@...

      Emails and addresses for the House of Representatives and Senators can
      be found at http://www.leg.state.fl.us/

      Facts:
      1. The Governor has proposed for the 2003-4 budget ZERO dollars
      for the State Library and Information Services Division.
      http://www.ebudget.state.fl.us/

      2. It has been proposed that the State Library be eliminated and holdings
      transferred to Florida State University in Tallahassee by July 1.

      3. The proposed budget cuts $17.6 million from FSU's state funding and
      President T. K. Wetherell said "The way it looks is that someone wants us
      to assume a responsibility but with no money (provided)." In addition,
      FSU has limited parking, and their own library is lacking so much space that
      they use warehouses for some of their holdings. The FSU library would need
      to hire more staff to facilitate the book processing and increased reference
      questions, and at the same time reduce their expenditures.

      4. The Florida State Library and Archives Division is now part of the
      Department of State, and is responsible for the State Library, the State
      Archives, state record keeping and library development services/grants programs
      for public libraries throughout the state.

      5. The proposal for the Bureau of Archives and Records Management is
      for the Records Management responsibilities to become a part of the
      Department of Management, and for the State Archives to fall under the parks
      department of the Department of Environmental Protection.

      6. The FloridaMemory.com project will be in jeopardy. This site now contains the
      photographic collection (over 90,00 pictures), Florida Pension Application
      Files, Spanish Land Grants, Call and Brevard Family Papers, and many more
      documents of Florida's early history.

      7. The Governor's budget must not pass the Florida Legislature. Session will
      begin March 4. We still have time to change the tide. For more detailed
      information go to the Records Preservation & Access Web Site:
      http://www.fgs.org/rpa/FlCurrent.htm

      Thank you.
      Pam Cooper
      FGS/FSGS 2003 Conference Co-Chair
      http://www.fgs.org/
      President, Florida State Genealogical Society
      http://www.rootsweb.com/~flsgs/
      Chair, Librarians Serving Genealogists
      http://www.cas.usf.edu/lis/genealib/
      P. O. Box 7066 Vero Beach, FL 32961-7066

    • Rea11bak2gen@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 30, 2003
        In a message dated 1/29/03 11:17:20 AM Eastern Standard Time, shm@...
        writes:

        > I feel it is unnecessary to bring politics into our list. We should all
        > fight for what we believe in, i.e. libraries and archives, but refrain from
        > making personal remarks about politicians. We all want to keep our
        > libraries and archives but I feel this list is no place to put our
        > political
        > views, rather, we should band together to save the things that are
        > important
        > to us.
        >
        > Sue

        I agree!
        Betty Reason
        Edgecombe Genealogical Society
        Surnames: Baker, Grizzard, Hobbs, Webb, Pittman, Walston, Harrell
        Surnames: Reason, Cook, Mooring, Teachey, Carraway.

        Their seed shall remain forever and their glory shall not be blotted out.
        Their bodies may be buried in peace, but their names liveth forevermore.

      • ellisonj7 <ellisonj7@hotmail.com>
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 31, 2003
          This is in response to Betty Reason's note below.

          Betty:

          I see you are researching the GRIZZARD surname. Do you by chance
          have a Mary GRIZZARD in your notes? From the information I have, I
          believe the Mary living with family of John Pollard on the 1870 Pitt
          County census to be the mother of Priscilla Pollard, my ggrandmother.

          I'd be interested in information you might have on the GRIZZARD
          family.

          Thanks you.

          Janie Ellison
          ellisonj7@...
          ellisonj7@...

          HARRIS, HADDOCK, SIMMONS, POLLARD, PARAMORE, MOZINGO, ELKS, BEDDARD

          --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, Rea11bak2gen@a... wrote:
          > In a message dated 1/29/03 11:17:20 AM Eastern Standard Time,
          shm@a...
          > writes:
          >
          > > I feel it is unnecessary to bring politics into our list. We
          should all
          > > fight for what we believe in, i.e. libraries and archives, but
          refrain from
          > > making personal remarks about politicians. We all want to keep
          our
          > > libraries and archives but I feel this list is no place to put
          our
          > > political
          > > views, rather, we should band together to save the things that
          are
          > > important
          > > to us.
          > >
          > > Sue
          > >

          > I agree!
          > Betty Reason
          > Edgecombe Genealogical Society
          > Surnames: Baker, Grizzard, Hobbs, Webb, Pittman, Walston, Harrell
          > Surnames: Reason, Cook, Mooring, Teachey, Carraway.
          >
          > Their seed shall remain forever and their glory shall not be
          blotted out.
          > Their bodies may be buried in peace, but their names liveth
          forevermore.

        • Gil Harris
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 31, 2003
            Janie...I see you're listing HARRIS...Which ones are you related to ?..My
            line is also HARRIS..Joseph b 1785, Guilford b 1832, Pinkney b 1868, Vernon
            b 1904 and me, Guilford Pinkney HARRIS b 1940.
            Also some MILLS, McLawhorn, DAIL, and many more
            Maybe we be cousins ?.
            Gil Harris
            > This is in response to Betty Reason's note below.
            >
            > Betty:
            >
            > I see you are researching the GRIZZARD surname. Do you by chance
            > have a Mary GRIZZARD in your notes? From the information I have, I
            > believe the Mary living with family of John Pollard on the 1870 Pitt
            > County census to be the mother of Priscilla Pollard, my ggrandmother.
            >
            > I'd be interested in information you might have on the GRIZZARD
            > family.
            >
            > Thanks you.
            >
            > Janie Ellison
            > ellisonj7@...
            > ellisonj7@...
            >
            > HARRIS, HADDOCK, SIMMONS, POLLARD, PARAMORE, MOZINGO, ELKS, BEDDARD

          • Charlynn Helms
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 31, 2003
              Do you have knowledge of James Edward HARRIS Sr 1905, brother Pinkney,
              sister Edith as related to this line? (I believe this family was from
              Charleston, SC) there was another sister that lived in Cowpens.

              Charlynn Helms

              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 31, 2003
                Charlynn...Sorry to say I dont have James Edward name in my database..I
                have a couple of James HARRIS, but no Edith as being sister of
                Pinkney...Most of my HARRIS is from Pitt Cty..I think that at one time some
                moved to GA. ...I'm in the proccess of looking in that direction...Haven't
                found any in S. Carolina yet..
                Gil

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • ellisonj7 <ellisonj7@hotmail.com>
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 31, 2003
                  Gil,

                  My Harris line goes through James Henry Harris, b. 1877 in Pitt
                  County. His father was William Harris, b. 1869 in Pitt County and
                  had a farm close to Stokes. His father was Thomas Harris, b. abt
                  1843. Thomas Harris was one of the children of Richard Harris, who
                  died in 1836 and whose "Will of Richard Harris" was in the November
                  1996 Pitt County Genealogical Quarterly.

                  We may be cousins, but probably very distant ones.

                  Janie Harris Ellison

                  --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, Gil Harris <gil@c...> wrote:
                  > Charlynn...Sorry to say I dont have James Edward name in my
                  database..I
                  > have a couple of James HARRIS, but no Edith as being sister of
                  > Pinkney...Most of my HARRIS is from Pitt Cty..I think that at one
                  time some
                  > moved to GA. ...I'm in the proccess of looking in that
                  direction...Haven't
                  > found any in S. Carolina yet..
                  > Gil

                  Pitt and all

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 31, 2003
                    Charlynn,

                    I'm sorry I don't have this person in my Harris line. Although I
                    live in South Carolina, my Harris line in mostly in Pitt County, NC.

                    Janie

                    genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, "Charlynn Helms" <charlie.helms@p...>

                  • cherylannjones@juno.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 31, 2003
                      I have a Maria HARRIS who was born 1803 in Pitt County. She married
                      Cullen McGlawhorn about 1823. Does this information fit into your HARRIS
                      family?

                      Cheryl

                      Only $9.95 per month!
                      Visit www.juno.com
                    • Rea11bak2gen@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 31, 2003
                        In a message dated 1/31/03 8:00:37 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                        ellisonj7@... writes:

                        > Betty:
                        >
                        > I see you are researching the GRIZZARD surname. Do you by chance
                        > have a Mary GRIZZARD in your notes? From the information I have, I
                        > believe the Mary living with family of John Pollard on the 1870 Pitt
                        > County census to be the mother of Priscilla Pollard, my ggrandmother.
                        >
                        > I'd be interested in information you might have on the GRIZZARD
                        > family.
                        >
                        > Thanks you.
                        >
                        > Janie Ellison
                        > ellisonj7@...
                        > ellisonj7@...

                        Janie could you give me just a little more information on the Mary, such as
                        age in 1870 census. Let me check my records and I will post the Marys I have
                        in them. From memory I am thinking there maybe two or three. Could be
                        thinking of the Bakers as they tie in close with my Grizzards.
                        Betty Reason
                        Edgecombe Genealogical Society
                        Surnames: Baker, Grizzard, Hobbs, Webb, Pittman, Walston, Harrell
                        Surnames: Reason, Cook, Mooring, Teachey, Carraway.

                        Their seed shall remain forever and their glory shall not be blotted out.
                        Their bodies may be buried in peace, but their names liveth forevermore.

                      • Janie Ellison
                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 1, 2003
                          Betty,

                          Thank you for responding to my message.

                          On the 1870 Pitt County census, page 29, there lists John, 42; Sarah, 27;
                          Mary, 9; Elizabeth, 6; William A., 4; Mary, 30, domestic ser.; John, 9;
                          Prissy A., 12, and Wiliam, 1. I believe the Mary, age 30, to be Mary
                          Grizzard, who possibly took on the Pollard last name. Her daughter, Prissy
                          A., is 12 on this 1870 census; but on the 1880 census on page 402B, she is
                          Priscilla Simmons, age 19.

                          Oour family tradition has it that Mary Grizzard, a Native American Indian,
                          married a Pollard and had Priscilla and at least one son my father called
                          "Uncle Tom Pollard", a FWB preacher in NC. The ages and name is close
                          enough for me to believe this Mary, b. abt. 1840, is Mary Grizzard
                          (Simmons?) living in the Pollard household. The 1880 census shows Sarah,
                          wife to John Pollard (she is also listed on 1870 census) and their three
                          children WITHOUT Mary and her children.

                          Do you have any Mary Grizzards in your notes that would confirm any of this?
                          Thank you for checking on this for me.

                          Thank you.

                          Janie (Harris) Ellison
                          ellisonj7@...
                          ellisonj7@...
                          HARRIS, HADDOCK, SIMMONS, PARAMORE, POLLARD, ELKS, BEDDARD

                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 2, 2003
                            One note about Janie's posting. James Baker b. abt. 1804 who lived in
                            Greene Co married Priscilla Ann Harriet Darden, we believe. The Prissy A.
                            name could be coincidence, though. The Bakers tie in with the Grizzards in
                            several marriages.

                            Paula Anne Baker
                            paulabaker69@...
                            Greene County NC

                            Message 13 of 13 , Feb 2, 2003
                              ellisonj7@... writes:

                              > Betty,
                              >
                              > Thank you for responding to my message.
                              >
                              > On the 1870 Pitt County census, page 29, there lists John, 42; Sarah, 27;
                              > Mary, 9; Elizabeth, 6; William A., 4; Mary, 30, domestic ser.; John, 9;
                              > Prissy A., 12, and Wiliam, 1. I believe the Mary, age 30, to be Mary
                              > Grizzard, who possibly took on the Pollard last name. Her daughter, Prissy
                              > A., is 12 on this 1870 census; but on the 1880 census on page 402B, she is
                              > Priscilla Simmons, age 19.
                              >
                              > Oour family tradition has it that Mary Grizzard, a Native American Indian,
                              > married a Pollard and had Priscilla and at least one son my father called
                              > "Uncle Tom Pollard", a FWB preacher in NC. The ages and name is close
                              > enough for me to believe this Mary, b. abt. 1840, is Mary Grizzard
                              > (Simmons?) living in the Pollard household. The 1880 census shows Sarah,
                              > wife to John Pollard (she is also listed on 1870 census) and their three
                              > children WITHOUT Mary and her children.
                              >
                              > Do you have any Mary Grizzards in your notes that would confirm any of
                              > this?
                              > Thank you for checking on this for me.
                              >
                              > Thank you.
                              >
                              > Janie (Harris) Ellison

                              Janie, I have two Mary Grizzards, one was a Grizzard and the other married a
                              Grizzard. It looks more like the Mary that married Thomas Grizzard as they
                              had a female child with the initals of P.A. and Thomas died in the Civil War
                              on 08 May 1862 in Camp Magnum, NC. She would have been a Grizzard but only by
                              marriage. I believe this Mary to be Mary Baker.because in the 1860 Census
                              they had a Mary Baker age 62 living in the household with them. This is just
                              a hunch no prove.

                              Here is the Census entries:

                              Greene Co. 1850
                              Jesse Grizzard B. 1796