Re: [genpcncfir] Davis

  • LdMel1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 16, 2002
      Could the name be Ora instead of Ola?
      L Melvin

    • Wiley Cobb
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 17, 2002
        Hi Nancy
        Do you have any idea whom I might contact in Edgecombe at UDC to check on the
        burial of a C.W. vet who served in the 43rd N.C. Infantry Reg.? I'm trying to
        find the final resting place of my ggf Levy Drake and thought he might have
        been buried with military honors.
        Thanks for any help.
        Wiley

        On Mon, 16 Dec 2002 10:59:47 -0500 Nancy Pittman <hepitt@...> wrote:

        > This may not relate to your Hyman, but there is
        > a Mary Louise Hyman who
        > lives in Greenville, NC Pitt Co. Believe it or
        > not...her father, that's
        > right, father served in the War Between the
        > States. She is a "living"
        > member of the Greenville Chapter UDC.
        >
        > Nancy L. Pittman
        > Web Wrangler, at www.ncudc.org
        > North Carolina Division United Daughters of the
        > Confederacy

        > Sent: Sunday, December 15, 2002 1:03 PM
        > Subject: [genpcncfir] Davis
        >

        > > Does anyone know about the Nancy Davis
        > Ballard that married William
        > > Robert Hyman in mid 1800's in or around Pitt
        > Co.? I have conflicting
        > > info on her. Her family name was Davis and I
        > have seen a lot of
        > > Davis info on this site, but not about her.
        > Ola
        > >

        > > Our Group name has changed but our membership
        > remains the same!
        > > We welcome all Archives visitors and invite
        > you to join our dynamic group
        > if you are interested in genealogy discussion
        > and research in Pitt and all
        > > GenealogyPITT Co NC Friends In
        > Research

        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        > >

        > Our Group name has changed but our membership
        > remains the same!
        > We welcome all Archives visitors and invite you
        > to join our dynamic group if you are interested
        > in genealogy discussion and research in Pitt
        > and all Eastern and Coastal North Carolina
        > counties.
        > GenealogyPITT Co NC Friends In
        > Research

        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Nancy Pittman
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 17, 2002
          Wiley,

          A District or Division of the UDC probably would not have this information.
          I think, "Bethel Heroes" Chapter 636 in Rocky Mount is the only UDC Chapter
          in Edgecombe County. I will be happy to contact someone from that Chapter
          to help you. I will need your personal e-mail address for correspondences.

          The UDC Business Office has ledgers compiled by Mrs. Anna Davenport Raines
          during her seven-year term as Custodian of Crosses of Honor. Mrs. Raines
          recorded every recipient of the Cross bestowed, beginning with Number One,
          until she resigned in 1913, for a total of 78,761 Crosses, and the ledgers
          provide the name and unit of the recipient. They may identify the date and
          place of the award. An accumulative index was developed by the Caroline
          Meriwether Goodlett Library Committee in the 1980s to cross reference the
          information contained in the ledgers.
          To request confirmation about the bestowal of a Southern Cross of Honor
          between 1900 and 1913, and/or if there is any information available for
          subsequent years, please send name of the veteran and the unit in which he
          served, a check made payable to "Treasurer General UDC" in the amount of
          $5.00 per name, and a self-addressed stamped envelope to:

          UDC Memorial Building
          Southern Cross of Honor Research
          328 North Boulevard
          Richmond, VA 23220-4057