Re: [genpcncfir] Re: Surname Reasearch

  • Martha Gay Morton
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 2, 2002
      Dear Cheryl,

      I have been in touch with Betty Cassidy [bcass@...] and Cletus Lloyd, a lady with a man's name, [cletus@...] they are both descendants of Nehemiah DOWNS. My interest in the DOWNS family is my GGGG-GF ARNOLD HOPKINS had an older sister LOUVENIA who m. Nehemiah DOWNS. She is mentioned as 'Vina Downs' in a letter from Brittania Mayo Jolley to her younger half brother Peyton Hopkins Mayo, MD. Also in deed
      dated 30 Sept 1817 her mother Ann Hopkins leaves gift to daughter Louvenia Downs and her daughter Louisa Downs. According to information I have gotten from Betty and Cletus, Kenyon m. Julia THOMAS [daughter of Abel Thomas]. This makes sense since
      Abel Thomas owned land adjacent to Nehemiah Downs. Some of ND's land was part of the original 1728 Amos Atkinson grant and is on the ES of Coneto Ck and WS of Polecat Pocosin. I believe there were 7 children: Isaac, Rebekah m. Patrick Price, Tabitha m. Elisha Hattaway [Hathaway] *the Hathaway's also owned land very near ND, Howell, Kenyon m. Julia Thomas , William and Wiley ----- I think most of the Downs children went to Ohio, Ga and Indiana. I could not find any more DOWNS in Pitt Co. census after 1820. I have deeds and happy to share what I have. All the best.
      Martha-Gay Morton