DAVENPORT/WHITEHURST/BARNHILL/ROLLINS/ANDREWS/JOLLY/HOWERTON

  • uzziah_1
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 30, 2002
      Hi,

      I am 18 years old and I am researching my ancestors. I am searching
      for the parents of Sam Rollin(g)s?. Sam Rollins had a child with
      Rebecca Moore. Rebecca Moore (born abt. 1817) was married to Reuben
      Davenport and they also had children together. It is believed that
      she had an affair??? Rebecca's ancestors were Cason Moore, Moses
      Moore Jr., Moses Moore Sr., and Jacob Moore. The Moore's stayed in
      Beaufort Co., NC and then what is later known at Pitt County, NC. Sam
      Rollins and Rebecca Moore's child was Bathsheba (Bashi) Davenport.
      YES, Bashi took the surname of her non-biological father.

      I am also searching for the parents of Willis Whitehurst (brother:
      Jethro Whitehurst). Willis had children with Jane (Jain) Whitehurst,
      Mariah Barnhill, and Adlini Porter. Willis W. born abt. 1845.

      I am searching for the parents of Mariah Barnhill (mother of Simon
      Barnhill) Simon Barnhill married Bathsheba Davenport in 1870.

      Looking for parents of Captain Andrews married to Maggie Jolly
      (1800's). I do not have any significant dates for these people.
      Maggie Jolly's parents of Levin Jolly and Nancy Howenton or Howerton.
      Maggie Jolly was also married a "WARD" I do not know his name.
      Looking for the parents of Levin Jolly and Nancy Howerton.

      All of these familes orginated from Pitt County, NC (Pactolus,
      Bethel, Greenville area)

      If you have any information that could be of use to me I would
      greatly appreciate it.

      Thanks again,

      Grandson of Mckinley Andrews & Ada Barnhill

      Michael Andrews

    • Janie & Boyd Switzer
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 4, 2002
        Hi: I'm very interested in the Davenports of Beaufort County, NC. My
        mother-in-law was Eva Rebecca Davenport. Her great-great grandfather was
        Enoch Davenport 1779-aft 1840. His brother was Reuben Davenport ca.
        1778-1843 who's second marriage was to Rebecca Moore. Enoch's wife was
        Hannah Rollins ca 1781-bef 1935. Hannah's parents were Charles
        Rollin(g)s 1753- 1841/43 & Hannah. I have reviewed all the information
        that I have on the Rollins and can not find a Sam Rollins anywhere.
        However, there must some family connection.

        What is your connection to Sam Rollins or Reuben Davenport or Rebecca
        Moore?
        ____________________--Boyd Switzer____________________________

      • feonadorf@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 4, 2002
          Boyd,

          Who were Eva's Father, grandfather, and great grandfather ? Thanks for the
          info that Reuben Davenport was his brother, I had him as his son.

          Lisa

        • UzZ iAh
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 5, 2002
            Hi,
            There is a connection, but it is very hard to establish the origin of Sam Rollins. I am as dumbfounded as you are. Sam Rollins only shows up twice in records as the father of Bathsheba (Bashi) Davenport. On the marriage certificate of Bashna (Bashi) Davenport and Simon Barnhill (1870 Pactolus, Pitt Co., NC) Sam Rollins is listed as the father. Sam Rollins was a slave, but my family has been unable to get any info on his origin. We believe that Sam Rollins stayed with Charles Rollins according to the 1850 census. Sam is not listed on the 1850 census, but there were a slew of Rollins that live right next door to Rebecca Moore Davenport (On the census Rebecca surname is Davenport and not Moore). Also Bashi was the only child of Rebecca Moore that was listed as "mulatto", mixed. Bashi did not even live with her mother when she was a little girl. According to the 1850 census Bashaba R. Davenport lived with William Hardy (mulatto) and a woman named Jenny (mulatto). Do you know when Reuben Davenport died???? My family believes that Rebecca Moore was vanished from the white community because she had a baby with a slave. Or she could have been raped, but I highly doubt it. Why would someone name their child Bathsheba?? In the bible, Bathsheba had an affair with David and David has her husband killed. Either Sam Rollins ran away or he was killed?? My family and I have no clue. Sam Rollins also had a child with Ester Barnhill and her name was Susan Barnhill. This is very puzzling. I just hope some Moore, Davenport, or Rollins descendants can help us put all the pieces together. I can't wait to hear from you again.
            Thanks again,
            Grandson of Mckinley Andrews & Ada Barnhill
            Michael Andrews
            Janie & Boyd Switzer wrote:Hi: I'm very interested in the Davenports of Beaufort County, NC. My

            uzziah_1 wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > I am 18 years old and I am researching my ancestors. I am searching
            > for the parents of Sam Rollin(g)s?. Sam Rollins had a child with
            > Rebecca Moore. Rebecca Moore (born abt. 1817) was married to Reuben
            > Davenport and they also had children together. It is believed that
            > she had an affair??? Rebecca's ancestors were Cason Moore, Moses
            > Moore Jr., Moses Moore Sr., and Jacob Moore. The Moore's stayed in
            > Beaufort Co., NC and then what is later known at Pitt County, NC. Sam
            > Rollins and Rebecca Moore's child was Bathsheba (Bashi) Davenport.
            > YES, Bashi took the surname of her non-biological father.
            >
            > I am also searching for the parents of Willis Whitehurst (brother:
            > Jethro Whitehurst). Willis had children with Jane (Jain) Whitehurst,
            > Mariah Barnhill, and Adlini Porter. Willis W. born abt. 1845.
            >
            > I am searching for the parents of Mariah Barnhill (mother of Simon
            > Barnhill) Simon Barnhill married Bathsheba Davenport in 1870.
            >
            > Looking for parents of Captain Andrews married to Maggie Jolly
            > (1800's). I do not have any significant dates for these people.
            > Maggie Jolly's parents of Levin Jolly and Nancy Howenton or Howerton.
            > Maggie Jolly was also married a "WARD" I do not know his name.
            > Looking for the parents of Levin Jolly and Nancy Howerton.
            >
            > All of these familes orginated from Pitt County, NC (Pactolus,
            > Bethel, Greenville area)
            >
            > If you have any information that could be of use to me I would
            > greatly appreciate it.
            >
            > Thanks again,
            >
            > Grandson of Mckinley Andrews & Ada Barnhill
            >
            > Michael Andrews

            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            > group if you are interested in genealogy discussion and research in
            > Pitt and all Eastern and Coastal North Carolina counties.

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          • Janie & Boyd Switzer
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 5, 2002
              Lisa: Do you have the names of Reuben (b ca1778-1843) Davenport's
              children? I know only the gender and likely year of birth.

              Are you kin to the Davenports?