[genpcfr] Re: Davenport Family

  • jonathon@texramp.net
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 16, 1999
      > Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 01:25:33 -0500
      > To: genpcfr@egroups.com
      > From: Jewelle Baker <jewelle@...>
      > Subject: [genpcfr] Re: Davenport Family
      Hi Jewell{I believe he is mine Thank you
      My ggrandfather was his son William H born 1856
      I would love to find Randall's father Thanks again {Wendy

    • jonathon@texramp.net

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 16, 1999
          Hello Wendy...
          Another WARM welcome to genpcfr!! We're happy you're with us. Thanks for
          your query. Alright eGroup! lets see how we can help her.
          The 1850 Pitt County Census show several DAVENPORT families. I list one
          below:
          In the Andrews District HouseHold 1205-1212
          DAVENPORT, Randolph age 36 Farmer Cannot R&W
          Charity 30
          (WHITEHURST)
          M. Caney 10 m
          Benajah 8 m in sch.
          Gilliana 5 f
          Rufus R. 2 m
          Marshal 1/12 m
          Eliz'b 17 f

          From the short time I had to peruse the other families, they all seem to

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 29, 2000
            Hi everyone
            I was wandering if anyone had these books
            Deed Books of Pitt Co. 1782 to 1801
            1801 to 1817
            1817 to 1832

            Thank you {Wendy
          • Evelyn Hendricks
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 30, 2000
              Hi, Wendy
              I have the books by Judith Dupree Ellison that contain abstracts of the
              deeds in the time period you mention. I will be glad to do look-ups for you.
              My new e-mail address is rebh@...
              Let me know if I can help.
              Evelyn

            • TracyStancil@hotmail.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 27, 2000
                --- In genpcfr@egroups.com, jonathon@t... wrote:
                > Hi everyone
                > I was wandering if anyone had these books
                > Deed Books of Pitt Co. 1782 to 1801
                > 1801 to 1817
                > 1817 to 1832
                >
                > Thank you {Wendy

                Wendy,
                I do not own the set of abstracted deed books for Pitt Co. but hope
                to purchase them soon. Saw your message and thought I would share
                what I know about the Davenports. Randal Clayton Davenport's father
                was Enoch Davenport- this comes from Pitt Co deed book LL pg. 276
                dated November 4, 1840. This deed lists Randal, Reuben, Eatha and
                husband Josiah Winn, and Gilly and husband Calvin Davis.

                Enoch's parents were George and Sarah Davenport. George died in Hyde
                Co about or before 1799. A Hyde Co. deed bearing date of September
                20, 1799 lists heirs of George Davenport as: Edmond, Enoch, Isaac,
                Absalom, Reuben, and a girl possible name Louise- Lo??? In this deed
                some of the siblings are selling their interest in the estate of
                their father to the other siblings. The same ones who were selling
                out started to appear on the Pitt Co census the following year in
                1800.

                George's parents were Isaac and Elizabeth Davenport. Isaac died in
                Tyrrel Co about 1767. His division of estate recorded in Tyrrel on
                April 29, 1769 showing the following children: Joel, George, Isaac,
                Francis, John, Tamer ?, Elizabeth, and John Snell who may have been a
                step son. Both John and Francis were minors at the time. Brothers
                Joel and George both appear in Hyde Co records in the late 1700's.
                Isaac's wife Elizabeth's maiden name was Hawkins. This comes from
                Tyrrel Co. deed book 1 pg. 201 date of December 6, 1752. In this
                deed, Isaac Davenport and wife Elizabeth, James Blount and wife Mary,
                and Thomas Lewis and wife Ann are selling property. The three women
                are identified as the daughters of James Hawkins dec'd.

                I hope this will prove helpful. This is as far as I have been able to
                get on this line. Somewhere I have a list of all Tyrrel Co deeds
                including the name Isaac Davenport but I can't seem to put my finger
                on it right now. I seem to remember that the first mention of Isaac
                in the records is about 1750. There was a Richard and Johanna
                Davenport who had a son named Isaac in Perquimans precinct of
                Albemarle Co - this Isaac was born September 17, 1685. I don't
                believe this is our Isaac though. I think this one would be too old
                and he would probably have been mentioned in county records before
                1750 and I can't find an Isaac prior to this date. I believe our
                Isaac probably came from Virginia but I haven't seriously pursued
                that yet. I do know that there were several George Davenports and
                Isaac Davenports in early VA records. That's all for now.
                Tracy
              • DollieDRN@cs.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 1, 2001
                  where can you purchase these books? Dollie
                • Tracy Stancil
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 1, 2001
                    I don't know for sure if this info is still accurate but Mrs Ellison's daughter Melissa Quesenberry from Coral Gables, Florida had some of these books left for sale. I haven't tried to reach her yet but you may want to try. Her number as last posted on this site is 305-665-0903. Re Pitt Co. deed books.
                    where can you purchase these books?    Dollie

                    Excellent genealogy resourses available at PITT COUNTY FAMILY RESEARCHERS website.  Suggest you BookMark it! Visit: