Dail Family Research

  • Donna Lebedynsky
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 21, 2002
      I'm making an appeal to all the Dail Family
      Researchers. I have been researching Matthew Dail. I
      believe his father to be Paul Dail.
      I also believe that Paul was the father of Nathaniel
      Dail and Theophilus Dail.
      Paul was married to a Mary.
      Census ages for 1830, 1840 match the ages of Matthew
      Dail, Nathaniel and Theophilus. I found that a Paul
      Dail died in 1859 according to the Roundtree Church
      Records. He of course shows up in the 1850 census
      reports but not the 1860. However, I looked up the
      census reports for Mary and found that Theophilus Dail
      and Nancy had a Mary living with them in the 1860 &
      the 1870 census matching the same age as the Mary Dail
      that was married to Paul. Theophilus, Nathaniel and
      Matthew named their children relatively the same names
      ie.. Paul, Theophilus, Dickerson (I do believe these
      were common family names). Someone please give me
      some thoughts on this matter. Surely the researchers
      of Theophilus Dail married to Nancy Davis and the
      researchers of Nathaniel Dail married to Sarah Garris
      have some thoughts on the Census. The 1850 census
      shows four households of Deele(as it was spelled that
      year) as living in Pitt County.

      I look forward to your thoughts on the matter.

      Donna Dail Lebedynsky
      Researching Pitt County Families: Dail, Beddard,
      Jackson, Harrington, Haddock, Vandiford and pretty
      much all of Pitt County.

      http://games.yahoo.com/
    • Jack Gilbert
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 21, 2002
        Donna; I am the genealogy for the Jones/Lenoir Co. Gilberts. one of my
        first cousins (abt1914-2001) married E.S. (Earl Stanley) Dail abt 1038 and
        the had abt 8 children. I have this Dail family in my data base, all of
        which lived or still live in Pitt Co. If you are related, I may be able to
        put you in touch with someone.
        Jack P. Gilbert

        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 21, 2002
          Theopilus "Offie" Dail and Julia Sermons also had a son named Paul Augustus.
          Born in the late 1800's.
          Lisa

        • Gloria Taylor
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 21, 2002
            Jack,
            Noticed you are genealogist for Gilberts of Jones and Lenoir Co. I am researching the Taylor line that married into the Gilberts. Virginia Caroline Taylor married Nathan Gilbert about 1876 in Jones Co. Wondered if you might know something about her siblings or someone who may.
            Gloria Taylor

            Donna; I am the genealogy for the Jones/Lenoir Co. Gilberts. one of my
            first cousins (abt1914-2001) married E.S. (Earl Stanley) Dail abt 1038 and
            the had abt 8 children. I have this Dail family in my data base, all of
            which lived or still live in Pitt Co. If you are related, I may be able to
            put you in touch with someone.
            Jack P. Gilbert

            >From: Donna Lebedynsky <dlebedynsky@...>
            >To: genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: [genpcncfir] Dail Family Research
            >Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2002 09:12:49 -0700 (PDT)
            >
            >I'm making an appeal to all the Dail Family
            >Researchers. I have been researching Matthew Dail. I
            >believe his father to be Paul Dail.
            >I also believe that Paul was the father of Nathaniel
            >Dail and Theophilus Dail.
            >Paul was married to a Mary.
            >Census ages for 1830, 1840 match the ages of Matthew
            >Dail, Nathaniel and Theophilus. I found that a Paul
            >Dail died in 1859 according to the Roundtree Church
            >Records. He of course shows up in the 1850 census
            >reports but not the 1860. However, I looked up the
            >census reports for Mary and found that Theophilus Dail
            >and Nancy had a Mary living with them in the 1860 &
            >the 1870 census matching the same age as the Mary Dail
            >that was married to Paul. Theophilus, Nathaniel and
            >Matthew named their children relatively the same names
            >ie.. Paul, Theophilus, Dickerson (I do believe these
            >were common family names). Someone please give me
            >some thoughts on this matter. Surely the researchers
            >of Theophilus Dail married to Nancy Davis and the
            >researchers of Nathaniel Dail married to Sarah Garris
            >have some thoughts on the Census. The 1850 census
            >shows four households of Deele(as it was spelled that
            >year) as living in Pitt County.
            >
            >I look forward to your thoughts on the matter.
            >
            >Donna Dail Lebedynsky
            >Researching Pitt County Families: Dail, Beddard,
            >Jackson, Harrington, Haddock, Vandiford and pretty
            >much all of Pitt County.

            >Yahoo! Games - play chess, backgammon, pool and more
            >http://games.yahoo.com/

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            We welcome all Archives visitors and invite you to join our dynamic group if you are interested in genealogy discussion and research in Pitt and all Eastern North Carolina counties.

          • Iona D.
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 21, 2002
              Hello, this is Iona Davenport, I have Taylors in my group but no Virginia. The Taylors I have is from Edgecombe Co.
              Thank you
              Iona Davenport
              iona@...
              Main SURNAMES DAVENPORT, GURGANUS , TAYLOR

              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 21, 2002
                Iona,
                These Taylor's were from Jones and Craven.
                Thanks
                Gloria

                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 22, 2002
                  I would love whatever help I can get Jack. Any
                  contacts would be a tremendous stride forward in my
                  research.
                  Donna Dail Lebedynsky

                  http://games.yahoo.com/
                • Donna Lebedynsky
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 22, 2002
                    Lisa, I had noticed in all three of the family's that
                    I had mentioned there were the same names popping up.
                    Matthew had a Theophilus Offie Dail who married
                    Margaret Vanderford. Theophilus was named this as
                    well as one of his sons. I also noted that he had a
                    son named Paul and that Nathaniel Dail had a son named
                    Paul.

                    I just wish I could find some concrete proof that Paul
                    was the father to all three men. That would certainly
                    tie the connections together in Pitt County. I found
                    a Paul Dail in Pitt County back in the 1790 census who
                    could have been father to the Paul Dail that I am
                    speaking of or perhaps he was an uncle.

                    --- feonadorf@... wrote:
                    > Theopilus "Offie" Dail and Julia Sermons also had a
                    > son named Paul Augustus.
                    > Born in the late 1800's.
                    > Lisa

                    http://games.yahoo.com/
                  • Jack Gilbert
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 22, 2002
                      the oldest son of e.s. Dail and Louise Gilbert is Frank Dawson Dail who
                      lives at 6088 US 13 Farmville. 756-0078. His aunt visited me FLA in Feb. and
                      suggested one of Frankk's sisters to keep me informed with the genealogy of
                      that section of the family. Try calling him, he might be aable to help, and
                      provide his sisters address, I believe it was Mary Elizabeth, but can't find
                      the data just now.

                      Good luck, Jack

                    • Jack Gilbert
                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 22, 2002
                        I have nothing on Virginia Taylor except she m one of the sons of Nathan
                        Byrd Gilbert and Louise Howard; abt. 1871. They had seven Children

                        Buelah mae m1915 Rob't L. Fordham
                        Louise Dorcas b.1874 m.Willis Matthew Tyndall
                        Edward Marshall b. 11-13-1876 d.9-9-1965m9-22-1897 Clyde Smith
                        William Nathan; b.12-30-1881
                        Nathan Gilbert m. Carrie Brownie Dail (I have no info on her)
                        Sarah Catherine b6-05-1884, d. 1-31-1966 m. John Raymond LoweryThey had
                        many children, two/3 still living in the Trenton area One Verna bell
                        7099Hwy 58N; 4483661. & w.w @ 7151 HWY58N9591
                        George Harris; b2-15-1888,d.1920 m. Mary Elizabert Cox 1-17-1915
                        Zoro Gilbert; m Amos Simmons Koonce in 1913 and had three children, one of
                        whichis still alive , there a grandaughter of Virginia Taylor. She is Inez
                        Koonce Banks Knoble The last tele # I had was 448-8751.
                        Her son-inlaw is Michael Harriett 1251 Old Newburn RD tel. 448-1891

                        So i've giving you the grda of Virginia Taylor, Good Luck, Jack

                      • Linda Rider
                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 22, 2002
                          Hi Donna,
                          I have thoughts about the Dails - I know they are all somehow related. I descend from two separate lines of Dails from the Pitt/Greene county areas in NC - Theophilus Dail b.abt 1805, m. Elizabeth (?Meekin), children, Thomas, Eliza, Joe, Theophilus and Nancy Jane. I am not 100%sure of the first Theophilus, having never found info on him because I am not researching that Dail line. I don't "feel" his father was Paul bcause no one in my line has been named Paul and that would be rare. My other line, apparently an uncle of the second line, comes from James Dail (1785-1850) m. Nancy Murphrey - children Elias, Madison, Jefferson, James Dail Jr, Elbert, Dicey and I have sometimes seen Dickerson. We do have 2 females named Brownie down the line in this family. I know these lines are related because they were all involved in a legal suit of some sort which was published in the paper because most of the Dail children were living in Sourth Carolina at the time of the court appearance. If we discover the link between Thomas and James, we may be able to find their ancestors.
                          Linda Dail Rider
                          Donna Lebedynsky <dlebedynsky@...> wrote: I'm making an appeal to all the Dail Family
[...]

                          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                          We welcome all Archives visitors and invite you to join our dynamic group if you are interested in genealogy discussion and research in Pitt and all Eastern North Carolina counties.

                        • Linda F. Harris
                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 29, 2002
                            some info on some of the dail (i am very interested as they are related to
                            my garris/bowden lines

                            nehemiah Garris b 1790 md 1st Nancy Little (does anyone know who her parents
                            were) their child Sarah (b c 1818) married nathanial dail.

                            Nehemiah Garris md 2nd Susan Bowden, the widow of John Davis and mother of
                            Nancy Davis b 1826 who married Theophilus DAIL

                            Nancy Davis and Sarah Garris were not related but were raised as sisters in
                            the latter part of their growing up years in the same location/house. i
                            would be willing to bet that the two dail boys that they married lived close
                            by and were probably closely related, either brothers or 1st cousins.
                            Linda Harris
                            http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~digginforroots/index.htm
                            Researching in NC (northeastern) and PA York and dauphin co)

                            Message 13 of 14 , Apr 30, 2002
                              Linda,
                              I absolutely believe they are kin. In fact the
                              Nathaniel and Theophilus you mention I believe are the
                              brothers to Matthew Dail. I also believe them to be
                              the children of Paul Dail. In all of the census the
                              names are spelled in the same manner changing from
                              Deal/Deele/Dell/Dail as the census taker spelled them.
                              I have looked at Paul Dail's 1830,1840 census Matthew
                              would have been the oldest. The three Dail/Deel men
                              fit the ages perfectly. Paul went on to have more
                              children who were younger and these show up in his
                              1850 census. If you note from the 1850 Pitt County
                              census that there were only five Deel (as it was
                              spelled that year)were Paul Deel, Job Deel (which I
                              could not even find the image on him), Matthew Deel,
                              Nathaniel Deel and Theophilus Deel. Also Theophilus
                              is found in later census to have a Mary living with
                              him who was his mother. Paul was married to a Mary.
                              The ages again fit with the 1830, 1840 census. This
                              is of course all speculative. I hope to visit NC over
                              the memorial day weekend and see if i can find
                              anything in the archives there. I would love to hear
                              your feedback.

                              Donna

                              http://health.yahoo.com
                            • Linda F. Harris
                              Message 14 of 14 , May 2, 2002
                                i also agree with you. i have found in doing this genealogy thing that at
                                times one must make educated guesses. in this case/s your guesses appear to
                                be right on the mark. i would guess that paul deeded some land to his older
                                children after they were married, this was common at this time. if you get
                                to NC i would suggest, wills and deeds. it is very likely that the oldest
                                children received their inheridance well before paul died.

                                i would love to hear back from you, as i am trying to find as many of the
                                garris clan that i can also the davis clan as susan bowden was a direct line
                                dec of mine.