Re: [genpcncfir] Kentucky Birth and Death Records

  • Antiquefrek@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 14, 2002
      Here is a response I received from my emails re: the Birth and Death
      records.
      Dear Ms. Cudney,

      This bill was written to prevent the fraudulent practice of using a birth
      certificate of a person to engage in identity theft and credit card fraud;
      it has no negative impact on genealogists unless they intend to use the
      information they obtain for illegal purposes.

      Here is a link to the bill:
      http://www.lrc.state.ky.us/Record/02RS/HB523/HCS1.doc. I am sure you would
      find it useful to read the actual bill rather than relying on the
      representations of others.

      Please note Section 3, Subsection (3), which specifically excludes
      genealogical research. Also note in the same section, Subsection (8), which
      relates to birth and death records being public records. Other than the
      renumbering, this subsection was left unchanged.

      Bottom line? You had bad information about what the bill does. I hope this
      corrects the record for you.

      Regards,

      Mark Treesh