Re: [genpcncfir] Digest Number 646

  • Antiquefrek@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 13 7:20 PM
      Well - I have not contributed much so I went to the site for Kentucky
      Sen. and Cong. and emailed them all! Below is a copy of what I sent. It may
      not be much but I felt a personal touch might catch their eye! I may have
      pumped up the percentage a bit - but being a government worker - I know how
      important those numbers are!!

      I have heard about recent attempts to block access to birth and death records
      in your state - what a silly thing!! If you ever have a moment to sign onto a
      computer you would know that at least 35-40% of online users are tracing
      there family tree. I have been working on mine for two years and the more you
      find the more you get hooked. To the point of actually getting on a plane and
      going to the STATE to physically find more evidence for your family history.
      I am also a mail carrier - close to 18 years now - and I have met many people
      who actually travel to collect this information!!! Do you really think the
      cons outweigh the PROS??? Please consider helping all the national genealogy
      researchers by stoping this legislation. The people like me out here in
      California had our family roots starting out back in NC, TN, Kentucky and
      such - It is a vital part of our research to have access to that information.
      I even have an ancestor that trained a Kentucky Derby horse - Timbrooke - he
      ran in a race in the late 1800 - when congress actually adjourned for the
      FIRST and only time so that members could attend the race "the Pamlico Race"
      My kin was in Tennessee - but the horse is from Kentucky - this is the very
      same horse that "raced the Memphis train and won!" and had one of the very
      first Blue Grass songs written about him. I know my fathers ancestors were in
      neighboring states and since Timbrooke was from Kentucky I am hoping to find
      evidence of my ancestors there. The folklore that my gr gr grandfather
      trained/owned this horse has been handed down for generations and it means a
      lot to me to prove that. Thank You Cheryl Cudney