Berkeley County, VA/WV lookups

  • johuntsb
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 7, 2002
      I would be able to do lookups for members ancestors who passed thru
      Berkeley county,WV (VA before 1863). I also have some genealogy
      books on the families of (Joseph)COBB, BOWEN, BEAN, GODWIN AND
      JARNAGIN. I can do lookups on them.

      Does anyone know of a John Smith family around the time of the
      revolution? (don't laugh). The wife was Elizabeth (Cornwallis)? said
      to be the cousin of Lord Cornwallis (who surrendered to Washington).
      Her last name may have been something else. Their dau. Sarah Smith
      m. Col. John Blair prob. in Hawkins Co., TN (destroyed rcds). Since
      he was appointed before TN became a state in 1796, a Gov. of NC may
      have appointed him. Where is the best place to get rcds. on that?
      Online? They had 2 children, John Jr. and Catherine. The Col. died
      in Hawkins Co. 1793. Sarah remarried to my ancestor, Joseph Cobb in
      Grainger co., 1797. I have traced his ancestry back to the original
      Joseph Cobb who came to Jamestown, VA in 1613. I need to get info.
      on his parents Richard Cobb and Sybil Sheets/z, and the rest of his
      15 siblings in the last part of the 16th century to the first part of
      the 17th century. Bible records are supposed to be in the Elizabeth
      Moore Collection in the Joyner Library.

      Until later,

      Joanne Huntsberry
      Martinsburg, WV