[genpcfr] Re: Can you help?

  • Mary Jane Poole
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 3, 1999
      Dear Robert and Ronnie,

      Hello. My name is Mary Jane Poole and I'd like to say you have quite a library.
      I am from Maryland and I have been a member of PCFR for going on to 3 years. I
      am also one of the people in the group who is at a dead end on the research of
      my father's family in NC. My if you could help me I would surely appreciate it.

      I am search the names Dickerson and Grant.
      I will tell you I only have a census record for both families, both in
      different parts of NC. My husband teases me all the time about being gypsies or
      so poor that they didn't have a mail box just a post. The mailman had to tie
      the mail to the post in order for them to get mail. You get the picture.
      Here is what I have.

      1900 Census - Pitt Co Contcutuea? Township
      Dickerson, Walter (Lor S) b Feb., 1854 m 17 yrs( first part of 1883) to Julian
      (Julia) b Jan. 1852. Both born in NC
      Children:
      Julian b. 4/1854
      Daniel b. 5/1886 ( My GG Grandfather)
      Magie b 8/1889
      William b. 5/1892
      Wiley b.7/1894
      Jasper b. 10/1896

      In different death certificate one stated they were from Beaufort or Greene or
      Pamlico Co
      Someone very nicely looked up a marriage for a W.S. Dickerson m. a Julia Bright
      in Beaufort Co. 2/1883 (Right year.) He was 29, (right age), she was 22. This
      does not match what was stated on census. On the census, she was 2yrs older
      than Walter , on the marriage cert, she was 7yrs younger than he was. Obviously
      so many things match up except the huge discrepancy in their age.
      I have been trying everywhere to find more paper work on them but I've gotten
      nowhere.

      Now to my second GGGrandfather.
      1880 Census - Greene Co Hookerton Twp

      Grant, Jackson (my GGG Grandfather) b.1815 m to Nancy b.1812
      Children:
      Needam b.1850
      Elizabeth b.1855
      Tobey b.1871 (census states he was living w/ grandfather. This is my
      GGrandfather.
      Tobey was living in Lenoir Co when he died in 1948.

      OK, that's all I have. My father was b in NC and raised in Lenoir Co. He died
      when I was very small so I couldn't get anything there. When I was in NC about
      5 years ago, I actually found my father's only living sister or relative for
      that matter and she didn't have much more to add.

      That's it. Maybe you could suggest where I go from here? If you could look up
      those names in your spare?LOL time, I would really appreciate it.
      Sorry to have given you such a rundown, but I just had to explain what little I
      have.

      Thank you so much.

      Mary Jane Poole
      Dickerson-Grant

    • Robert Kirk
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 4, 1999
        Dear Mary,

        I did find your Nedam Grant on the 1850 Census of Greene Co., NC.

        House # 652 in Hookerton District:

        John Grant 28M
        Nancy 25F
        Mary 7F
        Nancy 6F
        John 5M
        James 3M
        Susan 4F
        NEDAM 1/12 M

        Hope this is some help.
        Robert

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 4, 1999
          Dear Robert,

          Thank you so much for taking the time to look some things up in your books. I'
          m sure you are busy with your own line. It was very kind of you.

          I'm not sure this was the Nedam I was looking for. The parents ages are way too
          off.Your records would have put Jackson (John) having been born in 1822. Mine
          stated his year as having been born in 1815. Yes, you even had a Nancy that
          would have been the right mother's name but there again her age would have been
          off. Yours would have been born in 1825, mine stated she had been born in 1812.
          I wish I could have closer info than that but I thank you any way. Now you have
          given me something more to think about.

          Mary Jane

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 1 9:00 PM
            Hello Mary Jane... yes, I'm still playing 'catch-up'.. Have you received a
            reply from Robert???
            If not... Robert, please respond .. and remember (and this is a gentle
            reminder to all) ALWAYS reply thru the eGroup so everyone can benefit .
            Thanks so much!!
            Its very generous of Robert and all of our other "Look-Ups" to give of
            their time and resources to help fellow-researchers make connections!!!
            Thank you!!!
            Jewelle

            Main Surnames:
            BAKER, CANNON, COX, JACKSON,