[genpcfr] Re: Smallwood

  • Gurley, Donald
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 1, 1999
      Thanks Martha, I'm sure you're right. Mrs. Smallwood probably did all the
      work and then her husband got all the credit. They must have been Mormans.IN
      one book I have, samples of all his applications for membership in different
      patriotic orgs were used as samples. Don

    • Linda Harris
      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 1, 1999
        Don,

        what do you mean thay must have been mormans???
        Linda F. Harris
        lfh@...
        770 578 0105
        researching: garris, bergernon, lang, cannon, wilson, roundtree, andrews,
        wallace, keel, lanier

      • coreysyl@aol.com
        Message 3 of 21 , Feb 2, 1999
          I tried to send this message before - I have no idea where it went - someplace in cyberspace - anyway - Checking in late on Smallwood - I located her niece's daughter in Eastman GA in 1995. I was able to purchase Vol II (1969) and Vol III (1976) of "Some Colonial and Revolutionary Families --". There were just a few copies available. In the preface Mrs. Smallwood indicated that "I researched and compiled --", no mention of husband doing any of this work. She published 11 books. She lived in Washington, NC for 50 years, and moved to St Augustine FL in 1964, four years after his death. She referred to Washington as his ancestral home. (Note: There is a very nice subdivision in Washington named "Smallwood".) She returned to her native Eastman in 1970. She indicated that Vol III would be her last due to failing eyesight. The niece told me in our telephone conversation that several of the women in the family were active in the DAR. These volumes are teeming with information about eastern NC bu ALAS they are not indexed, which drives me bananas. Guess I'm spoiled. Sylvia

        • Mary Jane Poole
          Message 4 of 21 , Feb 2, 1999
            Excuse me but I couldn't help but overhear since I belong to the group. Are your Smallwoods related to Gen. Smallwood, of Southern Maryland, who I think was the Doctor for George Washington? If not his Dr., his very good friend.
            There is a Smallwood State Park in So. MD which was his home and grounds. Take my word for it, it is a very nice park.
            If this is your family you could probably get some info on the Maryland site, www.md.com. They have all kinds of things on that site about MD sites and parks. I bet there is even a group such as The Friends of Smallwood or something like that to keep the park and his family's name alive. You could also try phone 800 784-5380
            If this isn't your Smallwood, I'm sorry I intruded.

            Mary Jane Poole
            Dickerson, Grant

            coreysyl@... wrote:

            > I tried to send this message before - I have no idea where it went - someplace in cyberspace - anyway -
            > Checking in late on Smallwood - I located her niece's daughter in Eastman GA in 1995. I was able to purchase Vol II (1969) and Vol III (1976) of "Some Colonial and Revolutionary Families --". There were just a few copies available. In the preface Mrs. Smallwood indicated that "I researched and compiled --", no mention of husband doing any of this work. She published 11 books. She lived in Washington, NC for 50 years, and moved to St Augustine FLin 1964, four years after his death. She referred to Washington as his ancestral home. (Note: There is a very nice subdivision in Washington named "Smallwood".) She returned to her native Eastman in 1970. She indicated that Vol III would be her last due to failing eyesight.
            > The niece told me in our telephone conversation that several of the women in the family were active in the DAR.
            > These volumes are teeming with informati!
            > on about eastern NC bu ALAS they are not indexed, which drives me bananas. Guess I'm spoiled.
            > Sylvia

            > eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/genpcfr

          • Mary Lewis Deans
            Message 5 of 21 , Feb 3, 1999

              Message 6 of 21 , Feb 3, 1999

                Message 7 of 21 , Feb 3, 1999

                • JGrimes227@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 21 , Feb 3, 1999
                    Please be aware that while Mrs. Smallwood's work is a wonderful resource, one
                    cannot complete so much work without errors - and there are errors! Just so
                    you don't take everything for gospel just because it is in a book - regardless
                    of how helpful the book is.

                  • WAdams9679@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 21 , Feb 4, 1999
                      Did I undersstand correctly that Mrs Smallwood's book contains linage of the
                      Blount families? If so, which one?

                      Wanda A

                    • JGrimes227@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 21 , Feb 4, 1999
                        Wanda: In Smallwood's "Related Royal Families" from page 352-451 she covers
                        the Blount Family - lots of 'em. She states when she gets started that much
                        of the genealogy was copied from the "Blount and Blunt" family tree owned by
                        Judge William Blount Rodman, of Washington, Beaufort Co., NC. There is a lot
                        of info here - but like the Bryans the Blounts are all over the place and they
                        werent very imaginative with names, meaning they liked to recycle, using the
                        same names over and over and it does get confusin. John Grimes.

                      • Martha Marble
                        Message 11 of 21 , Feb 4, 1999
                          but like the Bryans the Blounts are all over the place and they
                          >werent very imaginative with names, meaning they liked to recycle, using the
                          >same names over and over and it does get confusin. John Grimes.

                          Amen!!!! Everytime the Bryan group finds another Needham we all scream and
                          pull out our hair.

                          Martha