RE: [genpcncfir] Manning Family in Pitt Co. NC

  • Sam DeSanto
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 1, 2002
      Jo,
      I just ran across you offer to see if any of my Manning's still are in Pitt
      Co. Well I am researching the B.F. Manning family B.F. Manning d. 1892 I
      think he was married to Sarah M. Dail? but that is a guess. William J.
      Manning in the 1880 census was 12 years old. It also lists siblings of John
      L. Manning age 17, Gemina? age 15, Henry A age 10. I don't know much about
      any of them. I'm not even sure that William J. Manning is the William
      Manning I'm looking for. I do know that Minnie L. Nichols, daughter of Arden
      Nichols and his 2nd wife Margaret Jane Tyson did marry a William Manning in
      Pitt co. NC. They had 4 children. Minnie is listed in the 1900 Census with
      her 4 children but her husband William Manning must have died before the
      census was taken. I'm sorry that I can't tell you more. I know Minnie
      married a 2nd time to Charles Shaw. The marriage produced 3 children. 1
      died at age 2 or 3 of fire burns. The other 2 were a long with Minnie's
      first 4 children were supposedly taken with Minnie to Richmond VA. I do
      know they were eventually put into an orphanage due to Minnie past away from
      cancer. Her first daughter, Juanita Manning was sent to college by her
      friends families. Herman Manning her 2nd child lied about his age and went
      into the Navy. These were the only ones that never went into the orphanage.
      I don't know if this helps but I hope it does. Thanks again Jo. Sam
      DeSanto

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 1, 2002
        There is a BF Manning living in Bethel, Pitt County. He is in his 80's.
        May be the same family. BF has a sister that also lives near Bethel and has
        done research for her family. Her last name is Heath. I think Benjamine
        Franklin is for the initials.
        Annette Roebuck

      • Sam DeSanto
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 2, 2002
          Annette,
          Do you have an address or something for B.F. Manning's sister? I'd love to
          write to her and B.F. Manning. Let me know and thank you for the tip. Sam
          DeSanto

          There is a BF Manning living in Bethel, Pitt County. He is in his 80's.
          May be the same family. BF has a sister that also lives near Bethel and has
          done research for her family. Her last name is Heath. I think Benjamine
          Franklin is for the initials.
          Annette Roebuck

          >From: "Sam DeSanto" <ssdesanto@...>
          >To: <genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com>
          >Subject: RE: [genpcncfir] Manning Family in Pitt Co. NC
          >Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2002 10:43:35 -0500
          >
          >Jo,
          >I just ran across you offer to see if any of my Manning's still are in Pitt
          >Co. Well I am researching the B.F. Manning family B.F. Manning d. 1892 I
          >think he was married to Sarah M. Dail? but that is a guess. William J.
          >Manning in the 1880 census was 12 years old. It also lists siblings of John
          >L. Manning age 17, Gemina? age 15, Henry A age 10. I don't know much about
          >any of them. I'm not even sure that William J. Manning is the William
          >Manning I'm looking for. I do know that Minnie L. Nichols, daughter of
          >Arden
          >Nichols and his 2nd wife Margaret Jane Tyson did marry a William Manning in
          >Pitt co. NC. They had 4 children. Minnie is listed in the 1900 Census
          >with
          >her 4 children but her husband William Manning must have died before the
          >census was taken. I'm sorry that I can't tell you more. I know Minnie
          >married a 2nd time to Charles Shaw. The marriage produced 3 children. 1
          >died at age 2 or 3 of fire burns. The other 2 were a long with Minnie's
          >first 4 children were supposedly taken with Minnie to Richmond VA. I do
          >know they were eventually put into an orphanage due to Minnie past away
          >from
          >cancer. Her first daughter, Juanita Manning was sent to college by her
          >friends families. Herman Manning her 2nd child lied about his age and went
          >into the Navy. These were the only ones that never went into the
          >orphanage.
          >I don't know if this helps but I hope it does. Thanks again Jo. Sam
          >DeSanto

        • prytherch
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 2, 2002
            Sam, there are pages of Mannings in PITT COUNTY CHRONICLES. I am looking for the names you mentioned and will send you the info in fragments as I find it.

            Article 362 on p 187

            "HENRY JEROME BRAXTON

            Henry Jerome Braxton was born June the thirtieth, 1893. The son of William Jesse and Sara Everett Braxton, he was the tenth child in a family of twelve.

            Carrie Dorcas Manning was born October the second, 1893. She was the daughter of BENJAMIN FRANKLIN AND MATTIE ANN HUGGINS MANNING.

            Henry and Carrie were married January the twenty-sixth, 1913. They had four children, Ronald Glen, born September the fifth, 1914; Ella Madlyn, born July the twelfth, 1918; Kenneth Jerome, born July the sixth, 1921; and Mary Ellen, born December the seventeenth, 1923."

            There is more, but this is the pertinent part. If you think this is part of your family, send me your snail mail address and I will make copies of this and anything else I find and send them to you.

            Jo Prytherch

            Sam, the articles in CHRONICLES OF PITT COUNTY were written by members of
            each individual family. For the most part, that families that have articles
            in the book are the ones that remained in Pitt County. My mother grew up
            there and knew some Mannings that lived on a road that branches off Highway
            33 West. Can you put some approximate dates on these peoples' lives? That
            would help determine if some of the old-timers still living might remember
            them.

            Jo ROBERSON Prytherch

            AYERS, BRILEY, CLARK, CLARE, COGGINS, HARRIS, HODGES, LEGGETT, PEAL, PERRY,
            POLLARD, ROBERSON, TAYLOR, WOMBLE, WOOLARD, WYNNS

            you are interested in genealogy discussion and research.

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            We welcome all Archives visitors and invite you to join our dynamic group if you are interested in genealogy discussion and research in Pitt and all Eastern North Carolina counties.

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 2, 2002
              Sam, I am descended from Thomas Bragg Manning. I think that's not the same
              line you're descended from.

              Paula