[genpcfr] Re: I love it!

  • mhaddock
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 10, 1998
      Unfamiliar with Thomas Harold Haddock, but know "Clay Root" from old Pitt
      deeds of Haddock Family. I presume that has some connection with "Little
      Clayroot Swamp". In several of the old deeds Cedar,Indian Wells
      "Thoraughfares" Swamps were mentioned. As well as Swift Creek and the
      southside of the Tar River. In my mind's eye, I pictured the area as much
      like the Okefenokee Swamp of SE Ga. Not so ,I have been told. You must
      have drained a lot of it off.I quess you're not that close to Pamlico Sound,
      which looks to be low and wet. It's natural for descendants of Pitt to try
      and picture the area. Someone in our Xgroup asked the other day what did it
      look like ca. 1800. No one attempted to answer. Yes I am familiar with
      your web pgs, I have never been there personally to research anything.
      But some of my cousins had been to Pitt and had liason with contacts there
      the Blounts/Suttons/Mills. But that liason was broken years ago by deaths
      on @ side. Yes I have found your members to be most friendly and helpful and
      some of them have a good sense of humor. Your accents (I think)and manner
      of speach is quite similiar to SW Ga. Odell is a good southern name, I
      know Odells of both gender who use it. I know of two Carrie Haddocks, but
      no Carrie Lee. Most of the Haddocks I know would be old timers, I suspect
      Odell/Carrie Lee would be to modern for my files. By the way what surnames
      are you researching? I've noticed the name Gualermus in the old Pitt deeds
      ,is it phonetically related to your name? Those old timers couldn't spell
      worth a flip. I think I acquired that trait from my Pitt Ancestors. Thank
      you for the information Janice. Bud H.