1779 Petition

  • davids3919@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 10, 2001
      Thought I'd let you all know that there is an interesting document on the
      Duplin and New Hanover Cos NC GENWEB sites:

      Duplin - http://www.rootsweb.com/~ncduplin/duplin.htm

      New Hanover - http://www.rootsweb.com/~ncnewhan/nh.htm

      It is the "1779 Petition to Split Bladen, Duplin and New Hanover Counties."
      What is so neat is that the actual signatures are included after the body of
      the Petition. I have the original and in some instances the names are hard
      to read and in some instances it looks like one person may have signed for 3
      or 4 men, but the majority of them seem to be by the person named.

      I sent a graphic version of the Petition in to the GENWEB along with the
      typed version, but the coordinator has not been able to upload it on the
      site. SO, if any of you find a signature of your ancestor, let me know and I
      can e-mail you the page with the signature on it. The file is in Word, so is
      easily downloaded and entered into Word to print out.

      Barbara S.