Virus Attachments

  • James Stewart
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 21, 2001
      You're 100% correct, Janie. The attachment came from a note listed as
      Sue Hall Mills <shm@...>.

      I've just responded to a current note saying the virus, "Trojan
      Horse", is coming through attachments. I'll forward the Mills note to
      you but DON'T OPEN THE ATTACHMENT...as you say. I want you to know
      how this came to me. We're getting better, huh?

      Talk with you soon.
      Sue (Smith) Stewart

      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 21, 2001
        I am sorry about all this trouble. I really don't understand it. The day
        before yesterday when I turned on my computer every message from every list
        I belong to, had from Sue Hall Mills. I have never sent an attachment in my
        life, don't even know how. I didn't relize what was going on. I had
        received an attachment the day before from someone I had corresponded with
        before, and after I received it I ran a scan and it showed nothing. Then
        the day before yesterday when all this hit me I was stunned. I had only
        sent one e-mail that day to Gen-Newbie asking for help, so I still don't
        understand what happened. Regardless, my son came over night before last,
        we ran House Call and it showed the Batram ? virus on 3 files. We got rid
        of the virus, updated virus program and ran a scan. I do not now have any
        sort of virus. If you got an e-mail or an attachment from me after the 19th
        I would like to know, as everything has been cleaned since then.

        In fact, I don't believe I have ever posted a message to genpc. Maybe this
        is how the virus worked and was sent without me posting, I really don't
        know.

        I am really sorry about all this. I would like to know date you received
        the attachment supposedly from me. This has been one week of _______with
        this computer. Froze up about 5 times today. I am about ready to shut it
        down and give it up, but did want to make everyone aware of how sorry I am
        for getting a virus and then someway infecting other people.

        > You're 100% correct, Janie. The attachment came from a note listed as
        > Sue Hall Mills <shm@...>.
        >
        > I've just responded to a current note saying the virus, "Trojan
        > Horse", is coming through attachments. I'll forward the Mills note to
        > you but DON'T OPEN THE ATTACHMENT...as you say. I want you to know
        > how this came to me. We're getting better, huh?
        >
        > Talk with you soon.
        > Sue (Smith) Stewart

      • lisa and mike tetzlaff
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 21, 2001
          Sue, do not feel bad. This kind of thing has happened to many of us.
          Sometimes we pick up a virus , sometimes we are on somebody's mailing list
          that picks up a virus. Dont worry about it. Just make sure you have a good
          virus program, keep it updated. If you are still having problems with your
          computer after the virus is gone, it may have taken an important file with
          it. I would suggest you go into Dos and pick up an older registry that you
          know is clean. If you need help doing this, email me privately and I will
          walk you thru this.Lisa

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 21, 2001
            Thank you, Sue, for responding. I had the feeling whatever trouble we
            had was not intentional. It didn't appear to be but I have very
            little experience with "viruses".

            Best regards,
            Sue (Smith) Stewart

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 21, 2001
              Lisa, thanks for your response. This whole incident happened early
              this week. I did open the attachment but nothing happened; prompted a
              "corrupt" message. Tried again to save the attachment on disk. Same
              message...nothing happened. Then another lister (Janie) and I began
              talking about the attachment. She tried to open it and save to disk
              as well. She had the same result. I think we were both lucky!

              We do have a virus scan (not sure which one). Obviously, it's working
              very well. Dumb question: how could we tell if it took a large file
              out?

              Best regards,
              Sue (Smith) Stewart

              >Sue, do not feel bad. This kind of thing has happened to many of us.
              >Sometimes we pick up a virus , sometimes we are on somebody's
              >mailing list
              >that picks up a virus. Dont worry about it. Just make sure you have
              >a good
              >virus program, keep it updated. If you are still having problems
              >with your
              >computer after the virus is gone, it may have taken an important
              >file with
              >it. I would suggest you go into Dos and pick up an older registry
              >that you
              >know is clean. If you need help doing this, email me privately and I
              >will
              >walk you thru this.Lisa

            • ellisonj7
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 22, 2001
                Sue,

                Do you know WHAT TIME all those newsletters began coming to you? The same
                thing happened to me! I received 27 newsletters which began coming on April
                19th at 10:12 pm. I was puzzled and asked my husband whether or not he had
                shut down our gte account and these were being forwarded to my new e-mail
                address (on a new computer)? He said he had not and didn't know anything
                about it.

                It was afterwards that whenever I would send an e-mail, it would come back
                to ME showing that I sent it to myself! I knew then I had some sort of
                problem but didn't know exactly what. This is a new experience for me, too.
                And it wasn't until much later when I had received several messages saying I
                had a virus but it had been quaranteened, that I realized I was in serious
                trouble. Then I noticed all the attachments that had been going out without
                my knowledge! So however we got it, I don't have the slightest idea. I
                thought if you knew WHAT TIME those newsletters came to you, we might be
                able to understand better where it originated?

                My sweet husband cleaned up my computer for me so I'm ok. But please let me
                know.

                Janie
                > I am sorry about all this trouble. I really don't understand it. The day
                > before yesterday when I turned on my computer every message from every
                list
                > I belong to, had from Sue Hall Mills. I have never sent an attachment in
                my
                > life, don't even know how. I didn't relize what was going on. I had
                > received an attachment the day before from someone I had corresponded with
                > before, and after I received it I ran a scan and it showed nothing. Then
                > the day before yesterday when all this hit me I was stunned. I had only
                > sent one e-mail that day to Gen-Newbie asking for help, so I still don't
                > understand what happened. Regardless, my son came over night before last,
                > we ran House Call and it showed the Batram ? virus on 3 files. We got rid
                > of the virus, updated virus program and ran a scan. I do not now have
                any
                > sort of virus. If you got an e-mail or an attachment from me after the
                19th
                > I would like to know, as everything has been cleaned since then.
                >
                > In fact, I don't believe I have ever posted a message to genpc. Maybe
                this
                > is how the virus worked and was sent without me posting, I really don't
                > know.
                >
                > I am really sorry about all this. I would like to know date you received
                > the attachment supposedly from me. This has been one week of _______with
                > this computer. Froze up about 5 times today. I am about ready to shut it
                > down and give it up, but did want to make everyone aware of how sorry I am
                > for getting a virus and then someway infecting other people.

              • D J Peirce
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 22, 2001
                  The same thing happened to me, and it seems to have happened to a lot of
                  people on different lists....I spent most of Friday deleting and cleaning up
                  my computer....so far, it seems to have done no damage. I guess I caught it
                  in time to quarintine and delete. I've run several scans since and nothing
                  shows up.
                  I was getting numerous "Bad trans" messages....with different i.d.s, so I
                  don't know where they came from....I do know that when I turned on my
                  computer I found over 600 messages....all with viruses and multiplying. If
                  you have been affected by it, go to:
                  http://www.mcafee.com/anti-virus/viruses/badtrans/.
                  The directions for getting rid of it are there.
                  Doris....A Texan in Georgia;
                  Still shaking the family tree,
                  and dodging the nuts after 35+years!
                  <Member IBSSG>