[genpcfr] Double dates

  • martingen@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 7, 1999
      There was, indeed, a major calendar adjustment made
      in the early 1700s, the range of years I forget right now.
      If your software automatically shows double-dates, it is
      probably pre-programmed to indicate the old-new year
      during that period of adjustment.

      Elizabeth (Betsy) Ross

    • NULAT@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 7, 1999
        The little that I know about double dates.
        You will not see double dates beginning with the year 1753. Through 1752 the
        new year started on March 25 instead of January 1. So, any document that was
        drafted in the months of January, February and until March 25 will bear the
        double date. Example: I January 1732/33 according to our current calender
        would be just plain 1733. Hope I haven't confused the issue even more.

        Nula

      • Everettcj@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 7, 1999
          That was fascinting, Glenn. Thank you for enlightening us. I never even knew
          there had been a change!

          Carol