[genpcfr] Blount Genealogy

  • JGrimes227@aol.com
    Message 1 of 21 , Jan 6, 1999
      I just know Pitt Co., has got to be serious Blount country. Well, I got a bit
      of a confabulation that I have been struggling to straighten out - maybe
      somebody down thar has the straight skinny they would share. Here is the
      deal: Major John Gray Blount III (son of Thomas Harvey Blount 1781- 1849 and
      Elizabeth Mutter Blount 1806-1827) and his wife Eliz. W. Perry had eight
      children. PROBLEM:
      Smallwood's Some Colonial and Revolutionary Families of NC (SCRFNC) p. 545
      says the following are the seven children of John Gray Blount and Elizabeth
      Watkins Perry: Latham Hodges, Perry, Carter, Warren, Wharton, Small, Blount.
      Then in Related Royal Families (RRF) p. 418, and SCRFNC p. 283, Smallwood says
      they had eight children and then names 8 completely different children than
      she named on page SCRFNC pg. 545, to wit: Mary Perry, Elizabeth Mutter,
      Thomas Harvey, David Perry, John Gray, Stephen Lynes, Isabella Perry, Margaret
      Mutter. What gives? Does anyone know the proper parents for these folks? Or
      better yet, know a majorly source of Blount Genealogy data (other than
      Smallwood?) Thanks in advance for your help - (I'll thank you again when I
      get it. )

    • redlemon
      Message 2 of 21 , Jan 7, 1999
        Sorry I can't help you but I am interested in Mary Perry.  If you have any information please let me know.  Mine was born in the 1700's.
        The Blounts were well known in Edenton, NC and Chowan County.  The Perry's were and are in Hertford, NC and Perquimans co.
        Jim Jenkins
[...]

        For the absolute lowest price on Computer Hardware:
        CLICK HERE!

        Message 3 of 21 , Jan 21, 1999
          Hello James.. as you probally are aware by now.. <grin> I've been away and
          am playing 'catch-up' ...
          Did you ever receive a reply to this query?? On the perchance that you
          didn't... I'm reposting it.
          My GGGGGrandfather Bryan BLOUNT m. Elizabeth (SALTER, I think), were the
          parents of my GGGGrandmother Nancy Bonner BLOUNT, wife of Eleazor ELLIS. I
          haven't researched beyond Bryan as yet. Do we have a connection????
          Do keep in touch and Group... can you help with this query?????
          Jewelle

          Main Surnames:
          BAKER, CANNON, COX, JACKSON,
          McGLOHON, WINGATE etc
          Visit PCFR Website:
          http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Troy/1908/index.html

          At 04:25 PM 1/6/99 EST, you wrote:
          >I just know Pitt Co., has got to be serious Blount country. Well, I got a
          bit
          >of a confabulation that I have been struggling to straighten out - maybe
          >somebody down thar has the straight skinny they would share. Here is the
          >deal: Major John Gray Blount III (son of Thomas Harvey Blount 1781- 1849 and
          >Elizabeth Mutter Blount 1806-1827) and his wife Eliz. W. Perry had eight
          >children. PROBLEM:
          >Smallwood's Some Colonial and Revolutionary Families of NC (SCRFNC) p. 545
          >says the following are the seven children of John Gray Blount and Elizabeth
          >Watkins Perry: Latham Hodges, Perry, Carter, Warren, Wharton, Small, Blount.
          >Then in Related Royal Families (RRF) p. 418, and SCRFNC p. 283, Smallwood
          says
          >they had eight children and then names 8 completely different children than
          >she named on page SCRFNC pg. 545, to wit: Mary Perry, Elizabeth Mutter,
          >Thomas Harvey, David Perry, John Gray, Stephen Lynes, Isabella Perry,
          Margaret
          >Mutter. What gives? Does anyone know the proper parents for these folks?
          Or
          >better yet, know a majorly source of Blount Genealogy data (other than
          >Smallwood?) Thanks in advance for your help - (I'll thank you again when I
          >get it. )

        • Gurley, Donald
          Message 4 of 21 , Jan 28, 1999
            Pardon me. I just happen to read about the Blount genealogy. Isn't
            Smallwood still living or did he die recently? He's like an icon in
            genealogy. He has 32 supplimental lines with the SAR. Don

          • JGrimes227@aol.com
            Message 5 of 21 , Jan 28, 1999
              Marilu Burch Smallwood who wrote "Some Colonial and Revolutionary Families of
              North Carolina" and "Royal Related Families" and published them in the 1960's
              was living in Florida last I heard - don't really know whether still living -
              tho hope so. Based on the name, I always thought was a woman!

            • Martha Marble
              Message 6 of 21 , Jan 28, 1999
                At 04:52 PM 1/28/99 -0800, you wrote:
                >Pardon me. I just happen to read about the Blount genealogy. Isn't
                >Smallwood still living or did he die recently? He's like an icon in
                >genealogy. He has 32 supplimental lines with the SAR. Don

                Mrs. Smallwood has been dead for a number of years. She was living in
                Eastman, Ga at the time of her death. I contacted a number of people I now
                in Eastman at least 10 to 15 years ago trying to find her papers with no luck.

                Martha

              • JGrimes227@aol.com
                Message 7 of 21 , Jan 28, 1999
                  You can usually get copies of her books through interlibrary loans and then
                  xerox them (for your own use, of course) and then again some of the used book
                  vendors on the web might be able to get copies for a price (Amazon being one
                  of them but also the most expensive).

                • Gurley, Donald
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jan 29, 1999
                    Martha, isn't there a Mr. Smallwood? I've seen his name listed with the
                    SAR. Surely, were talking about two different people. Maybe I'm
                    confused.Thanks for your info just the same. Don

                    Message 9 of 21 , Jan 29, 1999
                      I think there are two people, a man and a woman. Thanks, Don

                      Message 10 of 21 , Jan 29, 1999
                        Don,

                        I suspect MR. Smallwood is MRS. Smallwood's husband given the SAR
                        membership; however, it was MRS. Smallwood that did so much genealogical
                        work. Maybe her hobby got her husband into it - has not worked with mine.
                        He does golf and I do genealogy. Don't remember, it has been so long ago,
                        but one of them was from Eastman, Ga. and that is where they retired and
                        where she died. Marylou Smallwood was the publisher of the books on eastern
                        NC so maybe it was her husband who was from Eastman. I worked for the
                        Member of Congress who used to represent Eastman and was actually from
                        Eastman which is how I knew where she was. Must have talked to a dozen
                        people there trying to find out what happened to her notes, with no
                        success. Mercer University in Macon has a large genealogical collection
                        and would be a good place to look. Maybe we have members in Ga who can do a
                        follow up. She certainly did outstanding work.

                        Martha

                        Message 11 of 21 , Feb 1, 1999
                          Thanks Martha, I'm sure you're right. Mrs. Smallwood probably did all the
                          work and then her husband got all the credit. They must have been Mormans.IN
                          one book I have, samples of all his applications for membership in different
                          patriotic orgs were used as samples. Don

                        • Linda Harris
                          Message 12 of 21 , Feb 1, 1999
                            Don,

                            what do you mean thay must have been mormans???
                            Linda F. Harris
                            lfh@...
                            770 578 0105
                            researching: garris, bergernon, lang, cannon, wilson, roundtree, andrews,
                            wallace, keel, lanier

                          • coreysyl@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 21 , Feb 2, 1999
                              I tried to send this message before - I have no idea where it went - someplace in cyberspace - anyway - Checking in late on Smallwood - I located her niece's daughter in Eastman GA in 1995. I was able to purchase Vol II (1969) and Vol III (1976) of "Some Colonial and Revolutionary Families --". There were just a few copies available. In the preface Mrs. Smallwood indicated that "I researched and compiled --", no mention of husband doing any of this work. She published 11 books. She lived in Washington, NC for 50 years, and moved to St Augustine FL in 1964, four years after his death. She referred to Washington as his ancestral home. (Note: There is a very nice subdivision in Washington named "Smallwood".) She returned to her native Eastman in 1970. She indicated that Vol III would be her last due to failing eyesight. The niece told me in our telephone conversation that several of the women in the family were active in the DAR. These volumes are teeming with information about eastern NC bu ALAS they are not indexed, which drives me bananas. Guess I'm spoiled. Sylvia

                            • Mary Jane Poole
                              Message 14 of 21 , Feb 2, 1999
                                Excuse me but I couldn't help but overhear since I belong to the group. Are your Smallwoods related to Gen. Smallwood, of Southern Maryland, who I think was the Doctor for George Washington? If not his Dr., his very good friend.
                                There is a Smallwood State Park in So. MD which was his home and grounds. Take my word for it, it is a very nice park.
                                If this is your family you could probably get some info on the Maryland site, www.md.com. They have all kinds of things on that site about MD sites and parks. I bet there is even a group such as The Friends of Smallwood or something like that to keep the park and his family's name alive. You could also try phone 800 784-5380
                                If this isn't your Smallwood, I'm sorry I intruded.

                                Mary Jane Poole
                                Dickerson, Grant

                                coreysyl@... wrote:

                                > I tried to send this message before - I have no idea where it went - someplace in cyberspace - anyway -
                                > Checking in late on Smallwood - I located her niece's daughter in Eastman GA in 1995. I was able to purchase Vol II (1969) and Vol III (1976) of "Some Colonial and Revolutionary Families --". There were just a few copies available. In the preface Mrs. Smallwood indicated that "I researched and compiled --", no mention of husband doing any of this work. She published 11 books. She lived in Washington, NC for 50 years, and moved to St Augustine FLin 1964, four years after his death. She referred to Washington as his ancestral home. (Note: There is a very nice subdivision in Washington named "Smallwood".) She returned to her native Eastman in 1970. She indicated that Vol III would be her last due to failing eyesight.
                                > The niece told me in our telephone conversation that several of the women in the family were active in the DAR.
                                > These volumes are teeming with informati!
                                > on about eastern NC bu ALAS they are not indexed, which drives me bananas. Guess I'm spoiled.
                                > Sylvia

                                > eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/genpcfr

                              • Mary Lewis Deans
                                Message 15 of 21 , Feb 3, 1999

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Feb 3, 1999

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Feb 3, 1999

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Feb 3, 1999
                                        Please be aware that while Mrs. Smallwood's work is a wonderful resource, one
                                        cannot complete so much work without errors - and there are errors! Just so
                                        you don't take everything for gospel just because it is in a book - regardless
                                        of how helpful the book is.

                                      • WAdams9679@aol.com
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Feb 4, 1999
                                          Did I undersstand correctly that Mrs Smallwood's book contains linage of the
                                          Blount families? If so, which one?

                                          Wanda A

                                        • JGrimes227@aol.com
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Feb 4, 1999
                                            Wanda: In Smallwood's "Related Royal Families" from page 352-451 she covers
                                            the Blount Family - lots of 'em. She states when she gets started that much
                                            of the genealogy was copied from the "Blount and Blunt" family tree owned by
                                            Judge William Blount Rodman, of Washington, Beaufort Co., NC. There is a lot
                                            of info here - but like the Bryans the Blounts are all over the place and they
                                            werent very imaginative with names, meaning they liked to recycle, using the
                                            same names over and over and it does get confusin. John Grimes.

                                          • Martha Marble
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Feb 4, 1999
                                              but like the Bryans the Blounts are all over the place and they
                                              >werent very imaginative with names, meaning they liked to recycle, using the
                                              >same names over and over and it does get confusin. John Grimes.

                                              Amen!!!! Everytime the Bryan group finds another Needham we all scream and
                                              pull out our hair.

                                              Martha